Passed with 850

RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just passed Security+ today with 850
Preparing wise I spend around 3 weeks, but I had passed SSCP like a 3 weeks ago so I new most of the stuff anyway.
Now, I would not suggest you go to SSCP and then Sec+ as I found many things having different names and even though the exam content is similar there are subtle difference that makes it hard.

For the exam itself, I mean... total rubbish... poorly written exam questions, trick questions just to lure you or to trick you.
My feeling is that its not really security exam per se especcially after doing SSCP and preparing for that one. This exam was like network admin on steroids, its more about ports and protocols that you can google in everyday life whereas SSCP is a real security exam that you need to understand how to implement the security.
After doing both myself I can say that having sec+ means you know the protocols and technology and that its. Full stop.
If you pass SSCP, that is a different story, it means you can think with your head and know a bit how to implement security in real life.

I think the best analogy is that while doing sec+ if you have access to google you can pass 100% as all the questions are just memorizing technologies and ports and protocols wheres while doing SSCP if you have google it doesn't mean anything as while doing the questions they are scenario based and you need to know how to implement them. You cant just google it.

Its hard exam, I give them that but not really that the questions are hard its more that they purposely wants to trick you so I don't recommend this exam to anyone who really wants to go in security field.
Maybe I am just frustrated as I had 10y experience with IT, most of it with security, I have CEH and I thought this exam will be something easy but I got frustrated with it. I got 7 simulations and bunch of crap questions.

Just my 2 cents

Comments

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Replicon wrote: »
    Preparing wise I spend around 3 weeks, but I had passed SSCP like a 3 weeks ago so I new most of the stuff anyway.
    Now, I would not suggest you go to SSCP and then Sec+ as I found many things having different names and even though the exam content is similar there are subtle difference that makes it hard.

For the exam itself, I mean... total rubbish... poorly written exam questions, trick questions just to lure you or to trick you.
    My feeling is that its not really security exam per se especcially after doing SSCP and preparing for that one. This exam was like network admin on steroids, its more about ports and protocols that you can google in everyday life whereas SSCP is a real security exam that you need to understand how to implement the security.
    After doing both myself I can say that having sec+ means you know the protocols and technology and that its. Full stop.
    If you pass SSCP, that is a different story, it means you can think with your head and know a bit how to implement security in real life.

I think the best analogy is that while doing sec+ if you have access to google you can pass 100% as all the questions are just memorizing technologies and ports and protocols wheres while doing SSCP if you have google it doesn't mean anything as while doing the questions they are scenario based and you need to know how to implement them. You cant just google it.

Its hard exam, I give them that but not really that the questions are hard its more that they purposely wants to trick you so I don't recommend this exam to anyone who really wants to go in security field.
    Maybe I am just frustrated as I had 10y experience with IT, most of it with security, I have CEH and I thought this exam will be something easy but I got frustrated with it. I got 7 simulations and bunch of crap questions.

Just my 2 cents

VERY VERY NICE, HI5! icon_cyclops_ani.gif

You should contact CompTIA & be one of their SME, I believe they are always looking for people...go help them step up that exam a bit...I see where you are coming from though. I haven't even looked at the SSCP material.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Replicon wrote: »

Just my 2 cents

Congrats on the pass and score!

Interesting post, which exam did you find more difficult? I'm in the process of studying for the SSCP exam, what resources did you use for it? And how long did you study? I already have security+ passed in June.

I went for SSCP to strengthen my technical knowledge. Would you say I would be correct in choosing this exam for this purpose?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Why the mad face? You did GREAT! Congrats. Ah, I reread. That is like a lot of cert tests. MADDENING, but that is half the fun. NOT
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SSCP is harder in my opinion , but Security+ is more tricky. In my opinion best preparation for Security+ would be Network+ wheres best preparation for SSCP will be watching CISSP videos or book, I know it sound strange, but reading cissp will not hurt.
    Exam wise, on SSCP you have tons of time, so you don't have that stress to finish quickly, but the questions are scenario based so no amount of memorization will help you. But questions are not that tricky on SSCP, plus you have official book from ISC that you can buy that covers 100% the material even though its not an easy read.
    I thing having security+ should be good basis for SSCP, you will need to cover some more ground for it but it will help you for sure.
    I used Sybex official book from George Murphy (make sure you do the online final test, In my opinion this is closest to the real test without paying extra, if you do above 85% you are ready), I really like this book, and also Daril Gibson all in one. For the official book, I done questions after each chapter directly, those that I have less than 70% I read them but not the whole book as its a bit boring.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a great score!!

Congrats!!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"