Options

Casp ROI?

ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
Hello, What are your thoughts overall on the ROI with CASP? For example, I personally felt that the Security+ did nothing for me, the CEH I got a more noticeable feedback/results for interviews/LinkedIn. Then once I got the CISSP... OMG, now I get 5-6 messages a month from recruiters on my LinkedIn and "feel" that I am respected more among co-workers/networking events. Since Security+ did nothing for me from what I noticed, I am hesitant about the CASP. Regardless, I am trying to keep an open mind and wanted your opinions. It is now Fall so I want to tackle 2-3 certs before the year is out but only if they will noticeably help in someway. I will probably end up tackling the CCSP for sure but like to start making plans/goals now. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you had the $$$, you can consider GIAC SANS certifications. I have seen job postings that only asked for GIAC certs. Or you may want to consider getting the triad of CISA,CISM,CISSP.
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    Go to Indeed.com, use CASP as your keyword (the box on the left), and search for positions. I don't think CASP is meaningful outside US Department of Defense or US govt jobs. I'm a defense contractor and CASP seems to be used as a poor man's CISSP around these parts. If you play 8570.1 chart Bingo, you cover more spots with CISSP than CASP. CASP doesn't cover any new spots not covered by CISSP.

CASP will renew your Sec+ without paying the renewal fee (and it's probably worth some CISSP continuing ed credits). CISSP would probably renew Sec+ too.

Coincidentally, CISSP (75 points for continuing ed) and paying your renewal fees will renew CASP (needs 75 points for renewal). Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if CompTIA thinks CISSP is as good or better than CASP, why earn CASP if you have CISSP?

NB: If you're wondering why a non-CISSP CASP is opining about CISSP, I passed the CISSP exam in Oct and am awaiting full endorsement. One of my soon-to-be former colleagues is adding CISSP on top of his CASP. If he thought CASP were enough, why add CISSP?
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    ZzBloopzZ wrote: »
    Hello, What are your thoughts overall on the ROI with CASP? For example, I personally felt that the Security+ did nothing for me, the CEH I got a more noticeable feedback/results for interviews/LinkedIn. Then once I got the CISSP... OMG, now I get 5-6 messages a month from recruiters on my LinkedIn and "feel" that I am respected more among co-workers/networking events. Since Security+ did nothing for me from what I noticed, I am hesitant about the CASP. Regardless, I am trying to keep an open mind and wanted your opinions. It is now Fall so I want to tackle 2-3 certs before the year is out but only if they will noticeably help in someway. I will probably end up tackling the CCSP for sure but like to start making plans/goals now. Thanks!

If you have the CISSP, you're fine. The CASP was designed to supplement the CISSP requirement without having to have the 5 year mandatory experience.

Of course, more certs the better. I don't care what anyone says. You can be hot **** with no certs and be hot **** with certs. The latter will look better going into a job interview.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Ir0nmanIr0nman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Moldygr33nb3an,

I've noticed on quite a few threads about CASP training. You have been very active and helpful to those that have asked questions. My question is actually in regards to ROI and TCO calculations for this exam. Do you happen to recall if you were able to use an embedded calculator on these types of questions? My maths is and will always be terrible by long hand. Give me a calculator however, and I am able to calculate these in no time. I'm due to be taking my exam tomorrow, so last minute nerves are getting the better of me because this cert means a lot to me.
    I'll appreciate any light you can shed on this. Thank you :)

• Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Ir0nman wrote: »
    Hi Moldygr33nb3an,

I've noticed on quite a few threads about CASP you have been very active and helpful to those that have asked questions. My question is actually in regards to ROI and TCO calculations for this exam. Do you happen to recall if you were able to use an embedded calculator on these types of questions? My maths is and will always be terrible by long hand. Give me a calculator however, and I am able to calculate these in no time. I'm due to be taking my exam tomorrow, so last minute nerves are getting the better of me because this cert means a lot to me.
    I'll appreciate any light you can shed on this. Thank you :)

Just saw this. To answer your question, no; you are not able to use a calculator - just a marker and laminated paper.

TCO and ROI is simple math. Also make sure you know the formulas for exposure, ALE, SLE, ARO, etc. I remember the first thing I did was write down all the formulas.

I hope you passed your exam!
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go to Indeed.com, use CASP as your keyword (the box on the left), and search for positions.

I'm always a believer in this method when going after certifications. Find jobs your looking to move into, see what they are asking for, get those.