What do you think of ITPro.TV for security certs?

GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm putting together a list of certifications I plan to work on and I noticed that ITPro.TV offers courses in all of them. I've heard all of the commercials on Security NOW (and other TWiT shows). I was just wondering if anyone had used them, and if so, what they thought?

I'm planning to renew my Security+ (re-taking the exam) before it expires, and then work on my CEH and the possibly start working towards my CISSP (at this point I'd be an Associate of CISSP).

Any thoughts on ITPro.TV (or my certification choices), would be very much appreciated! Thank you very much as always, I appreciate your time!
"Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."

Comments

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been curious about it as well. As a side note, if you get your CEH before Sec+ expires it will count for the renewal.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think if you wish to renew your Sec+, all you have to do is pay the annual maintenance fee and apply your EU's / CPE's and you are golden.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have currently using ITPRO.tv but not for security cert courses though. So far they have been good. Some courses can use a little more depth but that's what the books are for.

Also, you gain access to transcended practices test as a bonus for some of the courses. If you are going to register, google for a discount code that is always active from what I've seen. I think its bout 25-30% off as long as you are subscribed.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks like some courses require a premium membership but there isn't any preview of the course to indicate to me if it would be worth the money. For a 10-hour course I don't know if it's unreasonable to give me a 5-10 minute preview of one of the lectures before I drop some dough. Consequently, I won't be dropping any dough.....
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So far, I like ITProTV. It's nice to have access to labs, so you don't have to spin up a bunch of VM's on your own. They also give you a couple Transcenders a month.

I would sign up for a free account, and then wait. Several times a year they send out a coupon code for 50% off.
  • ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    bigdogz wrote: »
    I think if you wish to renew your Sec+, all you have to do is pay the annual maintenance fee and apply your EU's / CPE's and you are golden.

To renew your Sec+ per CompTia's website...... either you have to get 50 CE Credits and pay the 149.99 maint fee...
    OR
    Get a higher level certification on the list that will count for the 50 CE credits.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a reminder their CEH course has not been updated. So if you're signing up for ITPro for CEH don't do it.

It is a solid resource for a lot of other things though.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the great info everyone!

In response to Security+ renewal - I planned on retaking the exam. I didn't earn enough (*cough*any*cough*) CE's.. I saw that I could use CEH to renew my Security+ but I only have a few months to do so and a few major life events between now and then (I just got married, going away on a honeymoon soon, and then looking to buy a house sometime after that). So I didn't want to rush through CEH with the added pressure of getting it finished before my Security+ (and consequently my Net+ and A+) certificate expired. I thought it would be easier to brush up on the latest material and then retake the exam. My understanding from the CompTIA site was that I could retake the exam to renew all three. If I'm wrong in that understanding, please let me know!

@TacoRocket - hmm, I'm sorry but I'm not seeing what you mean? On ITProTV, they list the exam code as 312-50 which is the same one I see on CEH's website?
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great info everyone!

In response to Security+ renewal - I planned on retaking the exam. I didn't earn enough (*cough*any*cough*) CE's.. I saw that I could use CEH to renew my Security+ but I only have a few months to do so and a few major life events between now and then (I just got married, going away on a honeymoon soon, and then looking to buy a house sometime after that). So I didn't want to rush through CEH with the added pressure of getting it finished before my Security+ (and consequently my Net+ and A+) certificate expired. I thought it would be easier to brush up on the latest material and then retake the exam. My understanding from the CompTIA site was that I could retake the exam to renew all three. If I'm wrong in that understanding, please let me know!

@TacoRocket - hmm, I'm sorry but I'm not seeing what you mean? On ITProTV, they list the exam code as 312-50 which is the same one I see on CEH's website?

If I'm not mistaken that's the code it always has been.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken that's the code it always has been.

I see on the CEH site that the exam is up to Version 9. I didn't see anywhere ITProTV's course description what version of the exam of the course was for, but I did see in the intro/promo video that when he went to the CEH site it did say Version 8 (it was very briefly on screen at the 1:35 mark).

I'm not sure if that is definitive that the course is outdated. Are you seeing something on the ITProTV site that I'm not? I appreciate your feedback!
  • Peyton_ITProTVPeyton_ITProTV Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I was browsing the boards and came across this thread. I want to say for anyone who wants to give ITProTV a try, you should utilize promo code CHAT30. This will give you a seven day free trial to see what we are all about, and a 30% discount should you choose to keep us as your learning provider.

As far as CEH V9 is concerned, we should have content available for that as early as mid June! For security certs in general, we thoroughly map to the exam objectives and include access to Transcender Practice Exams to help with mastery.

We value our members and try to offer engaging and informative content in an interactive manner.

Best,

-Peyton
    ITProTV
  • jeffpuxxjeffpuxx Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi -

The CHAT 30 code does not appear to be valid anymore....
  • wrmcleodwrmcleod Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should check out the link in this thread in General Certification:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/123399-free-training-harvard.html

This offer provides access to labs and other material as well. I just signed up myself so I can't comment on the quality, but you can't beat the price!
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That Harvard link is dead and if you signed up with it your account is limited again.

I did get a chance to check out the CISSP course that they had. From the few hours I did watch, it was excellent. Price is steep but it looks like a very solid course.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    jeffpuxx wrote: »
    Hi -

The CHAT 30 code does not appear to be valid anymore....

This is current: http://join.itpro.tv/promo/
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I initially decided to get the ITPro membership because the Sybex author for C|EH was teaching the course. Then I noticed they also have the CISSP course. My company paid for the official ISC course, which is over $2000. I decided to watch all the episodes on ITPro and i can tell you that the presenter from ISC2 and ITPro are the same guy and the course is delivered exactly the same.

They also provide you with free access to transcender practice exams twice a month.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think with how dry some of the books can be, the presenters on ITPro.tv make consuming the content a little more easy on the proverbial stomach.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Have a premium membership (I finally signed up after it went on sale for like $28 a month for a year).

The content is good and the hosts are easy to follow and listen to. It kind of has a (for you Tech-TV veterans) screensavers feel to it. Some joking around, while teaching the topics and giving real world examples.

I went from CBT Nuggets to ITProtv, because CBT Nuggets was killing my wallet. (89 a month!) Which in reality isn't that much for the amount of skills they teach - just want to be clear.

I'm not sure if I would sign up for their original price tbh. It was pretty steep if I recall. For $28 a month, it's a great value. I could maybe swing $50 a month, no problem.

Bonus is the app for the firestick. Interface is fairly easy to use. I can watch on my TV while laying in bed - that's a huge bonus!

EDIT: I just realized there is labs. The labs alone add much value!
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I liked ITproTV i thought it was the main reason i passed my CASP exam the 2nd go around
  • LDhikerLDhiker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They did a 50% last year on Black Friday. I will probably pick it up if they do it again this year.
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed my Sec+ just by using ITProTV. They're a solid site.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA