Just finished BS-IT from WGU in 2.5 months

mindcrankmindcrank Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□

Hey friends,

Like the title says I just completed my BS ITSec degree plan from WGU. I started on September 2nd and got the passing score on my Capstone back last night. I transferred in with an Associates from Northern Virginia Community College (A.S. IT), and the following certifications: CISSP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, Security+, VCA-DCV6, CEH and the CPT. I acquired the following certs from the degree plan: A+, Linux+ and Project+. I was pacing classes at about one a week, same timing for the certification classes, for the A+ and Linux+ since they are two exams and thus two classes I would allot one week per exam per class. Most classes and exams were quite straight forward, the material WGU supplies is usually all that is needed. I found that I needed additional sources for C170 (SQL Class) so I went to w3schools for a lot of that information and just goggled questions for Normal Forms. Also the WGU slack is fantastic and I highly recommend using it wguit.slack.com. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. :)

Next up, OSCP Prep icon_study.gif
Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
WGU, BS-IT, Security: Complete! November 2016
Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Are you going to do the MS degree?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool Congrats! How many total credits did you transfer in when you started?
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Looks like he transferred in 86, based on the screenshot. Decent pace on the remainder.

Congrats, mindcrank!
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man
    I'm starting the MBA program in a few days, hope I can finish that early like you.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Collectively, 2.5 months of my BS was going back and forth with Taskstream so that's quite an accomplishment graduating within that time frame.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's very impressive. Do you have a full time job? Family?
  • mindcrankmindcrank Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Are you going to do the MS degree?

Thanks man, I was considering it but I decided to just focus on sitting the OSCP exam ASAP as I want to move into the offensive sec industry sooner than later.
    Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
    markulous wrote: »
    Collectively, 2.5 months of my BS was going back and forth with Taskstream so that's quite an accomplishment graduating within that time frame.
    Yeah taskstream was easily the biggest headache - I was pretty OCD about re submitting as soon as I could to any issues with them.
    That's very impressive. Do you have a full time job? Family?
    Thanks:) Yeah I work full time doing IT Security Engineering and Policy work and have a wife. She was pretty understanding about why I needed to do this and was quite supportive so that helped a lot!
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    my wife used to be supportive, then we had a kid...
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

Since you have the discipline for self-study, getting a graduate degree will open up more opportunities and higher pay. Just saying. icon_lol.gif
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Mindcrank

According to my research ~46% of all pen testing positions require or prefer the OSCP. Go for it!
    @Mindcrank

According to my research ~46% of all pen testing positions require or prefer the OSCP. Go for it!

Thanks bro! :)
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Impressive! OCSP is on my radar next year. Taking GCIH in January and will probably target OCSP right after that.