Passed LX0-103 today with full mark

egyasia.comegyasia.com Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys ,

I passed today with 800 out of 800 ,

Though I have over 10 years of experience in network,database and server administration generally but I really didn't expect to get this result because I only prepared for 2 weeks with about 2 hrs of reading everyday as I have a full time job and this exam is not like RHSA where reallife experience can help.

for example it's mainly focused on the basic linux file manipulation and different package management systems from different distros(rpm,yum,dpkg,apt-get etc) where in reallife you will be probably using only 1 distro with your fav package manager (say centos+rpm+yum)

another main focus is the VI editor which I don't know why anyone is still using and moving with hjkl when u can simply winscp the file to your workstation and edit the file in full fledged notepad++ or any other text editor or edit the file from the text editor of webbased control panel..etc ..so many easier solutions and more productive in my opinion.

I would advise anyone taking this exam with no linux experience to not focus alone on the exam ref advised by COMPTIA (SYBEX BOOK) as at least 20-30% of exam questions aren't covered for it but I got backed up through reallife experience , my blood pressure really went up through this exam while I was trying to memorize some details from 10-11ish years ago when I was using linux at home.It was difficult to memorize commands and options I haven't used in a while since as you all know now plenty of paid and free control panels and tools like winscp are making linux server management now lot of easier for everyday job.

Another important thing if you are new to linux to install it as a dual boot or vm and try every command with every option , this way you won't forget the command and options and also you will understand things better.

Anyway who have recommendations for a single material that I can depend on for the 104? I will set in for it in a week or two but I scroll fast through objectives and I see it's lot focused on GUI and X ..something I never use with linux cuz it make it lose it's strongest advantage which is being lightweight in server environments.

Also for anyone who completed both 103 and 104 and living in Malaysia or anywhere close , hongkong , Singapore etc , how fast does the certificate come through in the mail?

Comments

• pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    hi im scattering for information atm on the 103 since signed up online for course but not sure which actual chapters are covered in it,since comptia gives this chapter breakdown:

Part I - Exam LX0-103

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 1[/h]
    [h=3]Exploring Linux Command-Line Tools[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 2[/h]
    [h=3]Managing Software[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 3[/h]
    [h=3]Configuring Hardware[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 4[/h]
    [h=3]Managing Files[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 5[/h]
    [h=3]Booting Linux and Editing Files[/h]

Part II - Exam LX0-104

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 6[/h]
    [h=3]Configuring the X Window System, Localization, and Printing[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 7[/h]
    [h=3]Administering the System[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 8[/h]
    [h=3]Configuring Basic Networking[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 9[/h]
    [h=3]Writing Scripts, Configuring Email, and Using Databases[/h]

_.gif
    dui_arrowup.png

[h=3]Chapter 10[/h]
    [h=3]Securing Your System[/h]

would the 1-5 chapters be needed for 103 exam or should i do all 10 ?since 5-10 it says 104 ? so a bit lost.Also have only basic linux cli understanding,thus if can suggest any material that covers 103 properluy would be gratefull,since as you mention it covers a lot of different distros and different commands thus feels a bit scattered,history part to know is ok,but not sure about stuff like vi - nano since theres plenty of editors.thx for any help.as for getting certs usual time frame is about 5 weeks.

• egyasia.comegyasia.com Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello , the chapter titles differs from one book to another but you should always take a look on the updated exam objectives which u can download from this link
    https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-linux-powered-by-lpi-(lx0-103)-aug-39-14-version.pdf

then match it with whatever book u r using ,

in my own point of view the pearson book by ROSS BRUNSON is better than the sybex book as sybex one is missing maybe 20-30% of the exam points.

GL
  • pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    much appreciated for fast response,and well done on your exam.the link you gave me gives a really good breakdown at what topics are covered for 103,since done in college lpic1-2 and linux fundamentals it seems fundamentals and most part of lpic one would be very close to same topics covered for L0-103.
    now was doing another course at the time so had to put lpic aside and just studied for a brief time,but managed to save most of the chapters for them modules.
    You are welcome but again like I told you some exam objectives like wall command, screen pkg, file command are missing in the sybex book.

and do u mean you done the LPI level 1 and 2 already earlier? if it's so then I think doing comptia linux+ will just waste your time with no new knowledge , you should go straight then to LPI level 3 or RHCSA and RHCE.
  • Ws6Ws6 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slightly off topic here. How long do you have, after passing 103, before it is no longer valid? I'm focusing on 103 at the moment and it's taking me some time to learn since I'm new to Linux.
    Ws6 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic here. How long do you have, after passing 103, before it is no longer valid? I'm focusing on 103 at the moment and it's taking me some time to learn since I'm new to Linux.

I think it's valid lifetime