How do you guys approach Case Studies?

unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just took my first Microsoft Exam with Case Studies this week, the 70-534. Failed it with a 669. I was pretty close but I know that the case studies are what did me in. I thought Microsoft could cram a lot of useless info into their multiple choice questions, with these they have about 10 pages to do it!

Just curious as to how you guys approach these problems? How do you not get information overload after about the 3rd one? I will continue to review the material but honestly I think just a better approach to these problems would put me over the top.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    unfbilly11 wrote: »
    Just took my first Microsoft Exam with Case Studies this week, the 70-534. Failed it with a 669. I was pretty close but I know that the case studies are what did me in. I thought Microsoft could cram a lot of useless info into their multiple choice questions, with these they have about 10 pages to do it!

Just curious as to how you guys approach these problems? How do you not get information overload after about the 3rd one? I will continue to review the material but honestly I think just a better approach to these problems would put me over the top.

Thanks in advance
    When they first started doing the case studies years ago, I would read the entire case study, then tackle the questions. However, I was watching a MS video a while back, and they suggested reading the questions first, then scanning/reading the case study.

I've only used the second method for my most recent test, but it seemed to get me through quicker.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • 210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Skelly wrote: »
    When they first started doing the case studies years ago, I would read the entire case study, then tackle the questions. However, I was watching a MS video a while back, and they suggested reading the questions first, then scanning/reading the case study.

I've only used the second method for my most recent test, but it seemed to get me through quicker.

This is what I do. The case studies throw a lot of information at you, and most of it is worthless and just confuses you or gets you thinking down a wrong path. I read the question, find out exactly what the question is, then go back and read the study for the pertinent information.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I kinda thought that might be the best strategy, but I was hesitant because growing up in school they pretty much teach you that reading the questions and looking through the passage is the WORST thing you can do. Still though, most of it is so worthless that it's a waste of brain-power trying to take it all in. I am getting ready to take this exam again. I'll give this a try.
  • audipenaudipen Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed mine today icon_sad.gif
    think some replication related questions did me in and yes the use cases also. Spent way too much time on them.

So did you manage to clear it ultimately?
    Any tips on how to prepare better?
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also take the approach of reading the questions first and then read the case study.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Yup, I do the same read the question then go through the case study. They throw a lot of fluff in those so knowing what you are looking for is key
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Case studies are the work of Satan! The 70-646 was the only certification exam where I was coming close to running out of time (I normally don't take half of the allotted time) and I passed with 700 exactly. The first one, I read the entire thing, then answered the questions. After realizing how much time I was wasting, I switched to reading each question, then skimming over the novel to find the answer.

It's just one of many reasons why I feel like Microsoft isn't testing you on the material primarily any more.