Certification Goals for 2017

amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here's the link for 2016 certification goals.
http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/115660-certification-goals-2016-a.html
The last post was back in August. Given that and this year nearing its end, I figured now's a good time for this thread.

I'm studying for CAPM now, and will sit for the exam in January. I'm seriously considering CSSLP after that (assuming my CISSP endorsement application is processed before then icon_rolleyes.gif). I may cap it there (in favor of re-entering and finishing my masters program at WGU).

Anyone else have plans for 2017?
WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
In Progress: C688
Remaining: LQT2
Aristotle wrote:
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

Comments

• ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA: Sec
    Linux+
    MCSA: O365
  • ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would like to finish up my CCNA, and then start my MCSA - Windows server.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Project+ for WGU, then all AWS certs.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2016: Knocked out CISSP!

2017 goals:
    GCIH: Live training set for January, test 3-4 months later.
    OSCP: will most likely be on my own dime, but something I've wanted to do for a long time.
  • revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2016: Apple Mac Integration Basics 10.10 & 10.11; Microsoft MTA: Network Fundamentals, Software Testing, Security Fundamentals, Windows Server Administration Fundamentals; VMWare VCA6 NV & DCV; CompTIA A+/N+/S+; HDI SCA/DST; mile2 C)SS & C)VA; CSA: CCSK v3.0; OCEG GRCP. Taking the ISACA CRISC in December. I started the year with no goals. Getting treated for adult ADHD whipped me right into shape. It was a productive year.

2017: Cisco CCENT followed by CCNA; Linux Essentials; eLearnSecurity eJPT. These will be my top priorities. After that, I'd like to work on the Linux+ and maybe CCNA: Security. I will also go back and take the CompTIA CSA+ if I don't end up passing the beta exam I took. At the time I took the beta, I was in the middle of studying for my Network+ and had not yet even started preparing for the Security+.
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    2016: PMP ( long shot ) finished ITIL V3, CASP,CSM,CISSP

2017: PMP , CEH,CEH FI,CCNA,CCNA Security, CAP
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Working towards with
    Security+ (second shot on January)
    CCENT or CCNA (maybe on March)

For the moment.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Still debating, not sure if it makes sense for me to get one at this stage in my career.

Either way I'll be doing a lot of review and CBT's.

I'll most certainly be looking at this thread for review.
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    70-413, 70-414, CCSK, hopefully CISSP or CCNA depending in the time
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    What? Already? It's only November. I haven't finished with this year yet. There's still time! THERE'S STILL TIME!
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm going for my OSCP and MAYBE CISSP.

In between, maybe a Microsoft exam or few.

Focusing on security in 2017.
  • FullofBitFullofBit Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm just going to focus on finishing the certs that I have left for WGU:
    CCNA Sec
    CCNA R/S
    Linux+
    Project+

Maybe try to squeeze in MCSA 2012 and some wire-cutting certifications (CWNA, CCNA:W, etc)
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Finish School and CISSP, OSCP
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do eLearnSecurity's eCPPT and eWPT before going for OSCP.

May do CCSP and MCSA for to beef up my digital badge collection. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2016: CCNA, Linux+, ACA, VCP, PMP (Paused)
    2017: WGU MBA: ITM, PMP, CSM, AWS
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
    This forum cracks me up, in a good way.

You do realize that if one technical resource was to obtain even one of these certifications in a calendar year they would be deemed as successful. :)
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    What? Already? It's only November. I haven't finished with this year yet. There's still time! THERE'S STILL TIME!

Exactly!
    I finished non of my technical certification goals for 2016 . . Hoping to at least pass ITIL Foundation by year end.

For 2017 the Plan is:

eWPT (I paid for it already, lab time expires in June).
    eCPPT (I paid for it already).
    ITIL Foundation(If I fail to pass this year).
    CobIT 5 Foundation [Maybe].
    CIA (Certified Internal Auditor .. a long long looooong shot).
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I am going to be going after GWAPT and OSCE. I am still considering doing the LPT as well.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This forum cracks me up, in a good way.

You do realize that if one technical resource was to obtain even one of these certifications in a calendar year they would be deemed as successful. :)

Yea, a lot IT folks are lazy outside of work when it comes to improving their skills from my experience and I like to think most the people here don't fall into that category. Or else they wouldn't be here. The average person might find it successful to get just one. Who likes to be just average though? icon_thumright.gif
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One goal: CCIE Wireless.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    finish CCNP Security and obtain CISSP. Then go over a refresh of all previously learned technologies that I don't use as often.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's crazy how things can change in a year. This is what I had put for my 2016 goals: "For 2016, I'm planning to renew upgrade MCSA:7 to 8, renewing my CompTIA certs with CASP (slowly preparing for CISSP), renew my VCP-DCV and hopefully get RHCSA as well. I would also like to do ECPPT & OSCP if time allows me."

I decided not to upgrade my MCSA:7 since it was useless for me, I decided to also not renew my CompTIA certs since I find it's a waste of money for me now. I also decided not to renew my VCP5-DCV and not go after RHCSA. I did however do my OSCP.

That said, for 2017, I'd like to have the CISSP which I already started studying for. I'm just planning to take programming classes so I can take the OSCE maybe by the end of the year.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Finish my Master's degree then MCSE possibly.. Taking a break from certs as I'll be traveling around the world. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    For 2016 I obtained 1 of 3 cert goals (GCIA) and 1 of 2 non-cert goals (MSISA). Not too bad I suppose. My situation at work and lack of budget due to buying a house (completed in September) made it difficult to accomplish the other goals.

I'm starting a new job in two weeks that will drive the bulk of what I pursue from here on out (will be GRC, management focused).

For 2017 my goals are:

GPEN (Studying for now and will be attempting in January. It's more for my personal interest and what I want to be my secondary skill set).
    CCSK (February)
    CSM (February/March)

CISM
    CISA
    CRISC
    (Thankfully with ISACA's new CBT and open scheduling I can knock out these back to back to back)

Non-cert Goals:
    Learn Python
    Learn Linux/Bash
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am an overachiever. I had no plans to do any certs this year but completed the Sec+ and CISSP (awaiting endorsement) this year thanks to TE and a few co-workers getting me motivated!
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Simple goal: CCIE Security

Oh... and world domination :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Simple goal: CCIE Security

Oh... and world domination :)

You might have some competition with Pinky and the Brain. Just sayin.
    Taking a break from certs as I'll be traveling around the world. :)

That sounds like a plan!
    Yea, a lot IT folks are lazy outside of work when it comes to improving their skills from my experience and I like to think most the people here don't fall into that category. Or else they wouldn't be here. The average person might find it successful to get just one. Who likes to be just average though? icon_thumright.gif

Someone gets the CISSP in a calendar year that's far from average or the OSCP.

I get your point though and by no means am I belittling people for getting tons and tons of certifications. It takes different types to make this world interesting.......