So whats next?

GorillionaireGorillionaire Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, Ive acquired my A+, N+, and Im studying for my S+.Currently unemployed only call back I got was from best buy. What should i do after my S+ CCNA, MSCA? I would like to be working and feel proud of my small accomplishments however so far they are bearing no fruit.

Comments

• ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have the foundations, and are qualified for desktop support roles. Go for the MCSA if you enjoy system administration work. Further your networking knowledge with Cisco if you enjoy networking, or get both and specialize later.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would start labbing and building experience and knowledge through that. Having the CompTIA trifecta is a good start and should be able to get you a good role providing you actually have the knowledge of how to apply it.
  • GorillionaireGorillionaire Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I would start labbing and building experience and knowledge through that. Having the CompTIA trifecta is a good start and should be able to get you a good role providing you actually have the knowledge of how to apply it.
    \

what is labbing? tbh alot of the stuff im learning seems really abstract like I get the concept and understand but have never implemented it or never seen it in real life]

thank you for the replies
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would suggest getting your resume up in PDF format on this forum. Several of us can take a look at offer suggestions.

I think A+ and N+ is plenty to get started.

Post resume omitting personal info
    Make sure you have trust worthy references don't want a snake in the grass ruining it for you
    Compile of list of skills you have roles you would be interested in.
    Apply like crazy.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    labbing is setting up a virtual environment and practice. good way to get experience without having that first job. you can pick up a good used server off eBay cheap. i paid about $225 shipped for a Dell Poweredge 2950III with 32GB RAM and a 1TB HD. VMWare ESXi is free or you can use virtualbox. download trial software and a few workstations and practice.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unfortunately, I can't see your resume at work. If you need a job, take what you're offered.

Getting a lab set up is a good idea, as long as you can afford it or have a source of equipment. I've interviewed IT server and desktop candidates in the past, and I always try to ask what they run at home if they lack work experience.

Also, take some courses (or just do the Microsoft stuff) and learn about managing Active Directory. Again, with a lack of actual job experience, I hate having to teach someone the magic and danger of AD work. If you're already aware of it, you get bonus points above true newbies. Integrate that into your lab (build a domain controller, add a member server), either virtual or physical if you can swing it.

If possible, get that desktop or tech support position and start building up to that magical 1 year of work experience. In the process, see if you can borrow or just be given old equipment that is headed to the trash anyway. There are other entry level positions you can find, like a Security Admin (basically making AD accounts) or NOC operator at an ISP or datacenter (basically watch monitoring tools and raise alarms as needed).

For next steps, look at what you'd like to do and start steering in that direction. Desktop or general server work? Go for Microsoft stuff. Networking? Cisco/CCNA. Linux? Look into Linux+ to start. Security+ is a decent, fairly agnostic one as well, and a great starting place for security.

To be honest, CCNA might be a bit tough unless you have access to some old devices or equipment to play with.

Otherwise, a candidate who wants in the job force and has some demonstrated capacity for learning? You'll get an offer eventually. Just keep looking! Don't rule out recruiters or temp agencies either. Even a lame job as a temp tech support phone operator can help you network and stand out from others.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?