Options

2nd full time job

No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
Well I just picked up a second full time job. I am going back to the company I worked at prior, but on a different side. This time I will be on the IP NOC side . Makes me wonder if I should put off PMP and focus on CCNA which might help with work. Ask me in a few months how I like the 80 hour weeks.. I need to have up a large nest egg so I can move off this island in the next 24-36 months.

I feel lucky that I was even offered the second job and luckily I have a support system to do things like cook and laundry etc... which enable me to actually put in the 80 hours.

Oh, and I am also in the National Guard too so that takes up a some time 1 weekend a month and two weeks a year ( insert National Guard Plug)

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is definitely a way to increase your income rather quickly. Don't forget about the taxes and withholdings.

So, in this situation, you need to have a decision already made before you arrive at it. If you come to a point where there is a conflict and you have to leave one position, or call in, or whatever... which job is it? Use this to help you pick which certification to study for, as well... if you would be willing to drop this job after a month, do the study that helps the job that you would keep.

As far as support system... doing something where you double your income, give or take, necessitates spending money on things that improve your life... so, if you need to pay for someone to do something that you would normally do, that seems rather reasonable (car maintenance, laundry, etc.).

Also, ensure you are planning well for your retirement. If each job offers 401k match, ensure that you take them up on it; I wouldn't contribute much more than what is necessary to get the full match at each job though... it will keep you from exceeding the annual maximum.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    All good points
    So currently I put 20% away + an extra 1,000 from job number 1. Number 2 will be used to pay the 30K+ which divorce is costing me. Once divorce is taken care of then I will put 20% of job number 2 into a 401K + 2500 each month into a account which I can not access. Depending on how much is left over , I would actually want to put even more into savings This tax year I will be at around 100k, but next year I have to sit down with my CPA and see where we are at .

24-36 month outlook
    1. Pay of credits cards which funded the divorce ( 30-40k) ( This will be affected depending on how big my divorce settlement is)
    2. Put 100K into savings so I can put that down on a house at some point some where
    3. Put 50-60K into emergency fund
    4. 50K set aside for a new car
    5. 10K move off island fund

Estimated total needed 260K This amounts are best case....worst case would be 50% of stated amounts

If a conflict comes up then I will ask to slightly reduce my second job hours and the first job will work a bit with me. All in all I have an idea how I am going to make this work. Worst course of action would be to leave the first job. This is only because I haven't done anything at the first job and I feel it is a bit dangerous to keep a job where you are not learning and growing.

Currently testing out different work/ sleep schedules and while things are a bit " rough and uncomfortable" I don't think it is something which can not be achieved.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just want to forewarn you to be careful. I worked with a guy who did this and it didn't end well for him. He would work 4 ten hour shifts at one job and then work 3 12 hour shifts with us. He did it for similar reasons (needed to pay off debt) and it started off pretty good. Eventually though he started slipping in his duties at both jobs. Also, when I asked why he worked so much, he told me it was to pay down debt, but that now with the two incomes he had gotten into more debt. Finally, he had to start requesting off a lot and that started to cause major issues (ultimately he was fired from the 3 12 job). He was falling asleep constantly and management was catching him.

So while I wish you God Speed, know that it will get very old very quickly and eventually management isn't going to accept any excuses for lack of attention to detail.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked third shift for a number of years and I don't think a day went by where I wouldn't describe my sleep schedule as "rough and uncomfortable". Good luck working all those hours. You seem to have a plan and have thought out how to make it happen. Don't be discouraged if life gets in the way of your timelines. Just being willing to even attempt this shows a tremendous amount of heart and work ethic.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback

I did have to think a long time before I made the decision. Lucky for me , Someone is doing the same thing at both of the same work locations ( just different office) and they have been doing it for the last 5 years. I am able to ping him for advice on how to manage everything.

Maybe this is a strange way to look at it , but when I was in Afghanistan we would run shifts like this and I will admit that sometimes I was a walking zombie. The only thing that worked great was if your boss could tell you needed a day off then they would give you a day off. On a more positive note , on the weekend that I have national guard drill , I will just have "Drill" no other work so that is a good thing.

Also to my benefit is the fact that I grew up in this kind of environment ( dad, grandfather, etc..) all worked 80-90 hours a week it just seems normal.

I am looking forward to the challenge as well as the rewards which come with the task (not only money) I have the opportunity to learn two different things at the same time.

I 100% agree with the attention to detail comment, there is no excuse to slack off and as a manager I wouldn't care if someone was working 10 hours or 100 hours . That individual signed up to do a job and the job needs to be done to "standard"

As always I appreciate the feedback. This place has been a motivating force for almost everything positive in the past 12 months

*edit just so everyone knows I would love to only have one job but this 70Kish a year just isn't cutting it ....
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome!

I've been looking for another SQL position, it's been hard but I will get there.

Stay at it and grind, love working and love making the money.

40 k in credit card debit is egregious. You HAVE to get that paid down, smart move.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Good luck No_Nerd. I wish you the best. I'm sure you know this already, but when running these hours, sleep, exercise, and diet are paramount. You'll have more than enough energy to accomplish your goal.

Good luck brother!
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No_Nerd wrote: »
    *edit just so everyone knows I would love to only have one job but this 70Kish a year just isn't cutting it ....

WoW,
    This thread has peaked my interest!
    if i had Zero creditcard/outstanding debt.....

How much of a quality life could $70k get me in Hawaii?

I assume that Housing is the biggest expense(?) but i really have No clue....
  • Options
    So I had zero debt prior to divorce .

QOL on 70K yea not so nice , part of the reason I don't mind working all the time.
  • Options
    So I had zero debt prior to divorce .

QOL on 70K yea not so nice , part of the reason I don't mind working all the time.

lol
    So i guess you were not in your "own place"?
    So... co-habitating with multiple roommates? Was the place a DIVE? or just very tiny?

Or let me ask this,
    Why would someone want to pack-up and move from Michigan over to Hawaii? (pros/cons)
    [open-ended Question... so yo ucan answer However you want :]

How did you end up in Hawaii?

Any insight is appreciated!
  • Options
    So I ended up in Hawaii with the army. I got married and My wife is/was a millionaire several times over. Wife left one day and now its just me so ...

I have 1 Roommate in 300 square feet. I have homeless people sleeping outside my building but the rent is cheap. But I am in the center of town and it is somewhat close to work.

Move to Hawaii ? I wouldn't advise it unless you just want to go to the beach for fun and have no savings or 401K. The average person here puts all of their money into their house and lives an average or sub average life . IT Market is saturated because everyone who was in the military and worked IT wants to stay here so they take a low pay rate.
    I would have moved several years ago but I had a stepdaughter who went to prep school on the big island and Hawaii was close to both her and japan for my x wife.

I can give you another example . A family member of mine makes 140K on the mainland out in NYC area, his offer for a job here in Hawaii was 108k. If you come here with money it is great , or if you are marred and both of you work and make 80+ then sure you can make it .

I just refuse to only "make it " I have worked to hard to settle for a small apartment and an old car :)

Michigan? I would go for 100K hell.... not too many places I wouldn't go if the cost of living was right and the pay was high.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @No_Nerd
    Makes me wonder if I should put off PMP and focus on CCNA which might help with work.

Absolutely agree with this. The PMP makes a lot of sense for people without a degree, but with you having an MBA it's basically the same thing. At least what I learned in my MBA program was the same. Pareto charts, communication channels, risk etc...... If you have the MBA you are good IMO.

However..... Nothing education related can make up for TECHNICAL certifications. I've been at it for a while now and almost every person I work with or previously worked with have let their PMP expire. Technical certs are superior from my experience.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    I assume that Housing is the biggest expense(?) but i really have No clue....

Gallon of milk: $8-$10

Food definitely is more expensive. Gas is more expensive, but it's surprisingly within the same range of other places in the United States where it's expensive.
    volfkhat wrote: »
    lol
    So i guess you were not in your "own place"?
    So... co-habitating with multiple roommates? Was the place a DIVE? or just very tiny?

Or let me ask this,
    Why would someone want to pack-up and move from Michigan over to Hawaii? (pros/cons)

I'm not No_Nerd, but if you are renting a room from someone or you have roommates you can find places for $600-$700/month. Obviously, the closer you get to Waikiki the more expensive the rent is going to be. If you want to buy you are going to have to pony quite a bit of money. Houses are ridiculously expensive, apartments are super expensive(to own.) Again, there are similarly expensive places in the US with the exception being you'll probably get more house per dollar on the mainland.

Whether the place is a dive or not really just depends on where you are renting. You are definitely going to end up with less space than you would get on the mainland for an equal amount of rent.

Pros:
    • Mid-70s is considered cold. When it's that cold you may want to pull out a long-sleeve shirt or sweat shirt to go with your shorts and flips flops(or slippers as they call them).
    • Go to the beach year round. Barbecue weather year round. Hiking weather year round. Bikini weather year round(enjoy the view if you're a guy, enjoy the weather if you're a woman.)
    • No snow, no ice. People drive like sh*t in the rain though.
    • Closer to Japan and Australia if you wanted to visit those places.
    • Lots of tourists from a lot of different places.
    Cons:
    • Gas is expensive, food is expensive, housing is expensive.
    • If you're white you'll probably at some point experience hostility towards you because you're white.
    • Small parking spaces, I wouldn't ship a giant trunk out there to drive around. People do it, but I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to park it.
    • Traffic gets pretty bad on H1. People are pretty terrible at driving.
    • No snow, except maybe on Big Island.
    • Expensive to visit family/friends on the mainland. You're looking at a $600 ticket just to get LA/San Diego. If you have kids that will make for an expensive trip.
    • Shipping a car out there is probably going to run you between $1500 - $2000. If you're shipping your stuff out there that's going to cost money.
    • Lots of tourists from a lot of different places.
    • Big service industry economy. Might make finding a job tough or it might be pretty easy depending on if you have a clearance, a lot of experience, etc.
    Overall:

Pretty nice place to live, it's not for everyone though. You might want to take a vacation out there to check it out and then it just becomes like everything else, make a plan and execute it.
  • Options
    I will update as things move along as well as provide additional tips I discover to make the process of an 80 hour week as easy as possible.
  • Options
    The average person here puts all of their money into their house and lives an average or sub average life. IT Market is saturated because everyone who was in the military and worked IT wants to stay here so they take a low pay rate.

Welp.... that about answers that.
    :]