Job advice

bookbook Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I got a job offer for Network Test Engineer, but I feel torn, why? Now, I work as a Network Engineer, with Cisco and Alcatel specialziation, I understand my job, feel quite well, but still something more, new. As the Network Testy Engineer my main responibility will be testing new (prototype) network card, using Python, Linux and FreeBSD. One thing which push me toward this job is opportunity to learn Python. I do not know this language, and "they" look for someone with strong networking background, and give some time to learn Python - truth be told I would like to get know Python, but is should be enough motivation to change job? I am afraid that, I focus to much on card testing, and not much on networks.

Do we have some Network Test/Automation Engineer on this forum, who can tell something how that job looks like in daily basis. Is is not boring? Is that job developing? Please, tell some pros and cons.

Comments

• skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    book wrote: »
    Hi All,

I got a job offer for Network Test Engineer, but I feel torn, why? Now, I work as a Network Engineer, with Cisco and Alcatel specialziation, I understand my job, feel quite well, but still something more, new. As the Network Testy Engineer my main responibility will be testing new (prototype) network card, using Python, Linux and FreeBSD. One thing which push me toward this job is opportunity to learn Python. I do not know this language, and "they" look for someone with strong networking background, and give some time to learn Python - truth be told I would like to get know Python, but is should be enough motivation to change job? I am afraid that, I focus to much on card testing, and not much on networks.

Do we have some Network Test/Automation Engineer on this forum, who can tell something how that job looks like in daily basis. Is is not boring? Is that job developing? Please, tell some pros and cons.

You mentioned learning Python, Linux and FreeBSD. How do you feel about those? Do you have interest in learning them and will they help you along your career path? Which is also the next question. Whats your career path? Is this job going to help you get to that or more of a lateral move. Also need to compare companies. Are you capped right now or could you move internally to a higher paying position? Does this offer have a higher ceiling with better benefits?

That's more the line of what you have the answer. We can't.

Also don't worry about meeting 100% of requirements on a job posting. Companies don't expect you too. If you did match them all, then why the heck would you take a job that you aren't going to learn anything new. icon_study.gif
  • bookbook Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your words.

I am not sure (really) if I want, because I have never used Python in my job, but sometimes I read that SDN is the future, so I think, that I could my knowledge from network combine with Python, and maybe someday I will be DevOps, or someone like that, who should have broad knowledge. I know a bit Linux, and FreeBSD at all, so besides of Python I could these OS... so, I fell well with that, but I am afraid also, that it will be to much, Python, Linux, and FreeBSD, and loose my enthusiasm. Maybe I fell fear beacuse I know my job, and "that" job I do not. You know, it easier to change job from Network Engineer to Network Engineer, for example for better salary. But here I fell I could led my job to testing, testing and so on.