CPSA Exam prep

jtnrdagljtnrdagl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am looking at CREST CPSA written exam syllabus - http://www.crest-approved.org/wp-content/uploads/crest-crt-cpsa-technical-syllabus-2.0.pdf

Has anyone taken this written exam recently. The recommended reading material looks very basic. Are there any specific books and preparation materials that I can look at.? Thanks.

Comments

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The full list is at CREST - Ethical Security Testers

They did list CEH as a exam preparation material.
  • mhassan772mhassan772 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1
    I'm on the same boat, I'm trying to find some resources online about the exam.
    I couldn't find any online reviews about the exam!
  • Paul-777Paul-777 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sat the exam a few weeks ago

There isn't a lot of information about the exam anywhere so I went in quite blind but did this more as prep for CISSP and the CTSA exams I'm going to take next year

I failed by the way so decide how much of this you want to take onboard...

If I was taking the exam again I'd focus on the CPSA high level areas within the CREST guidance document. Without breaching the NDA I can say if I took this exam a few years ago when I was doing day to day security ops stuff it would have been easier...

You do need to know network packet analysis, operating system identification, IP addressing and ports, common exploits, how to approach testing, testing ethics.

I might retake it next year but at the moment trying to finish reading the CRISC book for Saturday
  • dariooshdarioosh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it purely multi-choice exam or are there any elements of practical examination?
    I'm not sure if you can answer this but are the questions simply "what is this" and "how this works" or is is scenario based?
    Thanks