Certification Advice

Wrighty11xblWrighty11xbl Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Im wondering what you guys think would be best,

Im currently doing my ITIL foundation which im nearing completion but after this Im going to get a MCSA. Now the question is, is it better to get a decent MCSA or a quick one. I know it wont be quick to get but I mean going for one with less exams.

I was in the process of learning my Server 2012 R2 as a starter which needs 3 exams to pass, I have since found out that the Windows 10 books have been released and to pass this I would only require 2 exams to get the cert. So which would be best to go for? 2 exams and potentially easier or stick with the server 2012 track.

I left the server track about half way thought the learning to start the ITIL.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which one better aligns with the direction you want to take your career?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Wrighty11xblWrighty11xbl Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im wanting to get into desktop support,

I work in a decent sized ISP and been shadowing their internal IT support desk, so I think both are relevant but I imagine both are pretty relevant.

Thanks
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doing the MCSA is something I recommend for nearly anyone in the infrastructure and security fields as a way of ensuring you understand the threatscape and for general knowledge purposes anyhow. Knowing your base skills in this industry is critical though many don't bother and it shows.

ITIL has fallen a bit out of fashion, if it ever was in fashion in the first place, I know not where but nice to have.

- b/eads
    IBrokeIT & Beads,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick on this :)

@Beads, would you suggest the Windows 10 track or the Server 2012?

Thanks
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 with Beads on the MCSE/MCSA

Remember in 2008, companies couldn't get enough ITIL. After companies realized how useless and expensive it was to maintain it went the way of ISO 9000, Six Sigma, etc........

Speaking of which, what is the new "ITIL" Cobit?
    Well im doing the ITIL Foundation V3. With me wanting to do desktop support would you suggest getting the windows 10 cert then moving onto the server certification after?
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    CompTIA Security+ is something to look at as it is a baseline certificate for a lot of DoD contract work, also falls under foundation into any career.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Well im doing the ITIL Foundation V3. With me wanting to do desktop support would you suggest getting the windows 10 cert then moving onto the server certification after?

Yes. That is a reasonable path. However, it is important to know that many organisations will still be on Windows 7 (or even earlier), so you might still need good knowledge of those earlier platforms.

The other thing is that the Server exams are challenging. MCSA Server is really aimed at someone who has hands on working experience with Windows Server in a small to medium enterprise for 1-2 years. The reality is that many organisations want the MCSA server before they allow you to even touch the server. It's messed up, especially considering the content of the exams which regularly contain questions that beginners would have next to no chance of answering, basically just the "experience required" chicken and egg problem all over again.

But yeah, the MCSA 10 is a good place to start. It isn't just a Windows 10 exam, as it is really about how Windows 10 clients work within an enterprise environment. So you do get exposure to some of the server concepts.

So set up a home lab, and learn as much as you can.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Thanks OctalDump,

Thats what I have been doing. Ive set up a lab using Virutal Box and used it with Windows 7/8/10 and all connecting to server 2012. I felt getting the 10 cert might look good for future proofing my self.

@Kaliboy,

Thanks for the advice too, ill have a look at that.
    Well, Im happy to say I have now completed the ITIL Foundation =D.

I decided I needed to Sh*t or get off the pot I was just revising and thats it. Im thinking my next move will be for the Windows 10 Cert and do some work on my CV
  • ChromeChrome Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I'm in the same boat as you. Was studying the Win 10 exam but got frustrated on how broad it was (not really a client cert). Was going to follow up with ITIL also. Now I've started to research CEH stuff purely because it's a lot more fun to learn. I probably will go back to the Win 10 stuff at some point though.
    Thanks Chrome, for me I think the server 2012 was just a bit much.

Looking into things on the cheap certs forum I found an IOS cert which im gunning for next. $65 and then look at doing windows 10 :)
  • soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The WS 2012 isn't too much. A lot of jobs require it. Eventually if you want to take the next step into IT and play with the big boys WS2012 > WS2016 will be the way to go.