Reg 70-410 exam

WinuserWinuser Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Am new here. Am preparing for 70-410 exam from past few months, passively. I had two failure attempts. The score of first attempt is around 570 and second attempt is around 460.

During the first attempt, I have followed a youtube channel and lost the exam because the channel didn't cover the entire syllabus.

So the next time, I prepared well but then I scored even lesser than the first one.

I don't and couldn't have a dedicated lab of my own. So, the knowledge I have is purely theoretical.

After my second attempt, I bought the sybex mcsa 2012 guide.

Due to failure in two attempts, I don't know how to approach the exam anymore. Should continue with it? If yes, please suggest me the things I have to do.

Thanks

Comments

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to continue on your road to the 70-410 and you bought the book, follow along with it and ask questions when you have them.
    Sorry if I sounded like an ass. I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.
  • WinuserWinuser Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I need to know if there is anything apart from books, videos and labs that i can do to work this out?

Or should i wait for few more months and get started with 2016 certification?
  • EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you have a flawed study and exam preperation plan.

Microsoft exams are hard! what most successful test takers do is the following:

* Buy a self-study book, read it cover to cover more than just once.
    * Use either youtube or some form of CBT videos from a reputable IT Training website such as CBTNuggets, ITProTV, Pluralsight, Etc.
    * Purchase practice Exams and use them to gauge your progress, focus again on your weaker areas
    * Look up TechNet articles & whitepapers to fill in knowledge gaps <-- this doesnt get mentioned much in study guides but it is essential for a pass in my opinion
    * Lastly, create a lab at home and play around with the OS, create scenarios and breakfix issues and resolve them yourself. this step compounds the theory and turns it into actual experience which will help you remember procedures and what does what for the exam.

there is a lot to do to prepare for a Microsoft exam, but if you have a plan like what i listed above, you will either pass or at the minimum raise your score significantly.

Dont give up, failure is just a step towards success - it happens to all of us.
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed my server 2012 exams multiple times as well. There were so many screenshots of modules on that test that were never displayed in my Sybex study guides. I learned the hard way and built a cheap system and installed server 2012. After that, following the guides in the book when they have you perform certain tasks made me lol because these were the modules I remembered from the exam but never realized it because I was just reading from the book without any visual cues.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
    Thanks, I will go with a plan just like you suggested.
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Winuser, welcome! First of all, you WILL need some kind oflab environment in order to study for these exams. The MCSA exams are very practical and you'll need experience working with the OS and technologies they cover in order to pass. You can setup a virtual lab with VirtualBox for free (that's what I did) if you have a PC with the capabilities, which most of them these days will have no trouble. You should look into some training videos and following along with them. They're very beneficial. I recommend Pluralsight and/or InfiniteSkills. I used both of them during my studies and they were great! Transcender and MeasureUp practice exams are helpful too but they're expensive.

I don't want to turn you off from the exams but purely theoretical knowledge will not get you to passing these exams. You NEED hands-on labbing.

As to whether or not you should continue, that's up to you. If it's something you really want then don't let anything stand in your way!

Good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Winuser ... trust me the exam is very hard . I have failed it a couple times, and it's taken me almost 1yr .. I been studying on and off that's why it's taken me a while plus work and family stuff. Don't give up just keep pushing along. one thing i suggest you really do is build yourself a small lab. Use Virtual box or vmware .. You don't have to build them that big just enough for you to run them and practice on them.

Good luck with the exam and your studies.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Hey Winuser, welcome! First of all, you WILL need some kind oflab environment in order to study for these exams. The MCSA exams are very practical and you'll need experience working with the OS and technologies they cover in order to pass. You can setup a virtual lab with VirtualBox for free (that's what I did) if you have a PC with the capabilities, which most of them these days will have no trouble. You should look into some training videos and following along with them. They're very beneficial. I recommend Pluralsight and/or InfiniteSkills. I used both of them during my studies and they were great! Transcender and MeasureUp practice exams are helpful too but they're expensive.

I don't want to turn you off from the exams but purely theoretical knowledge will not get you to passing these exams. You NEED hands-on labbing.

As to whether or not you should continue, that's up to you. If it's something you really want then don't let anything stand in your way!

Good luck!
    Thanks AndersonSmith, I will build a lab and work on that.
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    @Winuser ... trust me the exam is very hard . I have failed it a couple times, and it's taken me almost 1yr .. I been studying on and off that's why it's taken me a while plus work and family stuff. Don't give up just keep pushing along. one thing i suggest you really do is build yourself a small lab. Use Virtual box or vmware .. You don't have to build them that big just enough for you to run them and practice on them.

Good luck with the exam and your studies.

thanks Louie.