Need some help !

FozeFoze Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys first of all i am 14 yo i will start learning things to get the ccna security after 4 years :D i just want to know like can i get jobs with this Certification ? i am sorry if i said anything stupid ;)

Comments

• trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    You haven't said anything stupid, but pinning a career on a single certification seems a little naive. Thumbs up for thinking so far ahead icon_smile.gif

A few places to get you closer to an answer:

Cisco's web site about CCNA Security
    CCNA Security - Cisco

A generic article about information security analysts from the US Department of Labor (It has some broad numbers to forecast need in this field.)
    Information Security Analysts : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

If you really want to know what kinds of jobs are available, try something like Indeed.com and search for CCNA Security in the job description field. Googling for CCNA Security and "job market" or "job projections" might work too.

No one who is being honest will promise you a job based solely on a certification or a course of study at school. It helps to have experience in a field or something related to it too.
  • ErindErind Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Stay in school !!! :p

seriously though it should help but not if you are an 18 yo who never touched a switch or crimped a cable. If you want a good path start reading and understanding the material for the CCENT (or test ICDN1) and start shadowing your school IT or someone doing the job. Also go through the CompTIA A+ material (i cant tell you right now to get the cert or not as it will depend on your prospects later on) and learn it. if you do these you will land a help desk job in no time. Also do some volunteer work when you feel you can. after 6 months exp get the second exam for CCNA: sec and spread your wings.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get a degree in a STEM subject, worry about certifications later.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • FozeFoze Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeh i am taking lesson from a teacher supported by cisco ;)

Like after 4 years i will have ccna and ccna security and i am willing to learn hard and be good but i am scared that i dont find any job after i get those certifications !
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Build yourself a home lab and practice. Make sure you keep it ethical and don't cross any lines in your labbing or you can really hinder your career down the road. In 4 years time you will likely be miles ahead of most others your age. At that point a few certs can get you started in your career or complete a Bachelors degree and with the experience you have already gained there will be no limitations to where you can go. I just wish I knew what I wanted to do at 14, or 24, or even 34...lol
    I dont know where to start... i know things about pc like cpu Graphics cards psu Ram Cores Coolers etc But i never teached anything about networking but ik a little like port forward... i hope you can help me by guiding me where to start From ;) thx
    My lab is pretty basic for now but you can pick up a nice used server off eBay for under $300. i bought a poweredge 2950 iii with 32GB of RAM and a 1 TB HD. install VMWare ESXi 5.5 and a few VM's and build a basic active directory environment for starters. practice creating GPO's or pick up a few Cisco switches and a router and set up some vlans or something. get the fundamentals of networking figured out first. if you like programming or scripting then practice that. once you have a basic understanding of networks start picking up some security practice. isolate your network and practice different attacks on your systems. learn and understand how they work and learn what to do to defend against them.

others on here have alot more labbing experience than i do so hopefully they add a little advice too
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spend some time studying and preparing for certs but don't neglect other things too. I have a solid career in IT but I feel playing sports and chasing girls was part of the whole HS package.
    dhay13 wrote: »
    My lab is pretty basic for now but you can pick up a nice used server off eBay for under $300. i bought a poweredge 2950 iii with 32GB of RAM and a 1 TB HD. install VMWare ESXi 5.5 and a few VM's and build a basic active directory environment for starters. practice creating GPO's or pick up a few Cisco switches and a router and set up some vlans or something. get the fundamentals of networking figured out first. if you like programming or scripting then practice that. once you have a basic understanding of networks start picking up some security practice. isolate your network and practice different attacks on your systems. learn and understand how they work and learn what to do to defend against them.

others on here have alot more labbing experience than i do so hopefully they add a little advice too

Can you plz explaing to what Does VM "virtual machine" Do ? i would really apperciate if you help me And the poweredge 2950 iii is a server isnt it ? i am sorry if i am wrong but i really wanna learn those things! thx sir ! ;)
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Go to college and get a BS degree in a general IT field. Breaking into IT with no experience and those certs will be hard. You are young and should get your school out of the way while you are young. Not having a bs degree will limit the employers you can work for as many do require one before they will even interview you much less offer you a job. You also may spend more time working in the helpdesk as well without a degree. Those certs without relevant experience aren't worth a whole lot.

If you cannot afford college, you have 4 years to improve your grades and apply for every scholarship under the sun to make your education cheaper. I beg you, don't take the lazy way it will hurt you long term.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Certifications are short term goals you can work on after your education. At your age its time to think long term with school.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    {REMOVED QUOTED REPLY FROM ABOVE POST}

Man i dont really like school my head is into tech af... and i will try so hard to work at any company i love tech so much :)
    I agree school is the best route and will provide the greatest gains and results. That being said, with lots of learning and a few certs you can make good money in short time. You will likely be capping your career out though. You can get good jobs with experience and no degree but to get to the top of your field you will have a much easier path with the education.

Yes, a Dell Poweredge 2950 is a server. Same with a Poweredge R610. a VM virtual machine is an environment where you can run several operating systems on one piece of hardware. so instead of buying 2 servers and 2 workstations you can buy 1 server, set up a VM and 'simulate' the other machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization

also, look up VMWare and virtualbox
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @Foze

Congratulations on the goal setting, it should help long term.
    Keep in mind you are typing into a forum, not texting, so take the time to write out thoughtful replies and attempt to spell correctly. We have members from all over the globe on this board, many who do not speak English as their first or second language and they bother to spell correctly. You are among professionals on this board. Take the time to step your game up rather than look/sound like a punk and before you dig through the threads to find others who also type in slang, save the time, please aim higher.

YMMV

Some form a formal education is going to land you into a better set of circumstances. There are folks who were able to network with friends and learn-on-the-fly, but that method is the exception not the rule. Stay in school.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Getting the CCNA security would be a step in the right direction if that's the route you want to go. You could continue on and get the CCNP Security after the fact.

Either way good luck, follow your passions. Sounds like you have one!
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You dont need a degree to wok in I.T.
    (but you DO need a degree in other careers.)

Your "passion" today could be different by time you are 18.
    Until then, focus on School; THAT's your full-time job.
    Study well, and Try and get a full Scholarship from a college/university.

If that doesnt work out; go to a Community College (avoid the crushing student-debt).
    You should DEFINITELY get your 2-year degree.

in the meantime... start learning the Basics.
    Look at A+, Network+ (and maybe Security+ later).

Youtube has thousands of hours on this; check out Professor Messer.
    don't worry about the "certifications", just concentrate on the knowledge/subject matter.

After you complete the Network+ curriculum, go download "packet tracer" and work towards ccna.
    I understand that you may not like school, but it's not easy to move ahead without that degree. You'd be better getting it when you are young and don't have a family to raise and other obligations. Not having a degree will stunt your career in many ways. Don't be lazy. Not many of us truly enjoy school, but we did it and are very successful today. Those that got those huge breaks did so due to either lick, or knowing the right people. If you don't know those people or have the right attitude they will find it easy to pass you by. Imagine you and someone else were going for a position and the only difference between you two is that he has a degree. Eliminate the reason why they would pick the other person.

Stay in school, your path to success is far greater that way.
    Also, to succeed in IT you need to embrace learning. Things change so fast in this field that you always have to be learning new technologies. If you fail to do this then you will not succeed in this field.
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    @Foze

Congratulations on the goal setting, it should help long term.
    Keep in mind you are typing into a forum, not texting, so take the time to write out thoughtful replies and attempt to spell correctly. We have members from all over the globe on this board, many who do not speak English as their first or second language and they bother to spell correctly. You are among professionals on this board. Take the time to step your game up rather than look/sound like a punk and before you dig through the threads to find others who also type in slang, save the time, please aim higher.

YMMV

Some form a formal education is going to land you into a better set of circumstances. There are folks who were able to network with friends and learn-on-the-fly, but that method is the exception not the rule. Stay in school.

Man here english is the third language and some people on my class dont even know the letters i am the best in my class :) And i will never quit school i don't like it but i wont leave school But i like techs and that more then school :/
    We all prefer not being in school and working with the tech we love. But I wouldn't be where i am today without my degree. The company I work for is one of the leading software companies for its industry and they do not hire those in engineer roles without a BS degree. The only roles they'd be ok with just a high school diploma would be if you want to be a janitor or some other line of work that doesn't require a degree. And if you want to do IT work for them, you have to have it.