Too well hidden!

rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
I'm of the opinion that that TechNotes part of this (very good) site should be somewhat easier to 'see'. I mean, how many of you could get to this [http://www.techexams.net/technotesnew/158-ipv4-subnetting-guide.html] within a few clicks? {Okay, I know one click would do it from here... icon_rolleyes.gif, but you get what I mean, right?}

There's some very good info in TechNotes and I think that all newcomers should be encouraged to read that section before posting yet another thread about Subnetting. Then, after having read the guide, if one does not understand, then fine, post a question.

That's not the only good info in TecNotes, no, far from it! But it's buried. In fact, I've a separate bookmark just so that I can find it when i want it!

Could it not be part of the L/H menu bar? I'm I alone here, a voice in the wilderness?
No longer an active member

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I found it easily. But, I think it should also be a sticky here, maybe. Just Cisco on the left pane > Technotes > Choose what you want.

Easy is great, but I think it might get cluttered. Maybe a sticky with a bunch of resources for links. I'm sure if you took the time to curate a bunch of links and put them together it would get some consideration for a sticky. At the least, it'd be very appreciated.
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    PC509 wrote: »
    I found it easily. But, I think it should also be a sticky here, maybe. Just Cisco on the left pane > Technotes > Choose what you want.

Easy is great, but I think it might get cluttered. Maybe a sticky with a bunch of resources for links. I'm sure if you took the time to curate a bunch of links and put them together it would get some consideration for a sticky. At the least, it'd be very appreciated.

With respect, you've been on this site for 8 years and as such, I'd expect you to know your way around.

From a newcomers perspective, Subnetting is not specific to Cisco, so why would you look there? If you're already on the Cisco Forum, why would you click Cisco?

It's not clear what the side menu is for; my assumption was that it linked to the different forums, although I now know better.

What I'm suggesting is having a button for 'Tech Guides' which links to the Tech Guide related to the Forum from which you came, or, as with 'Practice Exams' (which links to all the practice exams, or so I believe), just links to all the Tech Guides on the site. As a newcomer, if I saw a button named 'Tech Guides', I think "Aha! I wounder what goodies are lurking there!".

I trust that this will be taken as it's intended: constructive criticism.

If there's anything I can do to help, all one has to do ask; I've some skills with PHP and HTML, but I'm not an expert.
    No longer an active member
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    8 years... Wow. That has been a while!

A tech guides button would be a nice addition. Just a place to go for all those guides in a nicely formatted way.