Gaming the new Microsoft "cloud" certifications

How would you like to get 2 MCSAs, an MCSD, and an MCSE? What if I told you there's a path which only requires 4 exams, and will give you exactly that?

So, to start you sit the LFCS exam, then the 70-533. That will give you MCSA Linux on Azure. Then take the 70-532, which will give you MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure AND the MCSA Cloud Platform. Finally, take the 70-534 and get the MCSD Azure Solutions Architect.

There is the LFCS oddity in there, but the upside is that you get another certification on top of the 4 Microsoft ones.

If you really don't want to do LFCS, then you can just do the three MS exams and have 3 certifications.
2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM

Comments

• someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice idea, I guess some of these will probably be retired soon though.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Nice idea, I guess some of these will probably be retired soon though.

None of the exams are on the "scheduled to retire" list, so aren't likely to retire soon, although they probably do need more up to date materials.

Another fun thing, all these MS exams, these MCSAs and this MCSE, qualify for badges.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Speaking of badges.... Acclaim has been spamming the hell out of me with Microsoft badges for everything from my MCSA's down to the MTA's I have. WTF are they even good for?

EDIT: And I think this is a great idea, it would definitely make your resume Azured up, including some Linux too.
  • rexnewmanrexnewman Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just noticed another quick route to two MS Cloud certification titles if you already have the MCSA for Server 2012:

Passing exam 246 and 247 (Private Cloud stuff) will earn MCSE: Private Cloud certification (Solutions Expert) and at the same time satisfy the elective for MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (Solutions Expert)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has gone this route and whether they think these certs are worthwhile.
    Well, disregard my previous post. Exams 246 and 247 are still valid, but Microsoft just updated their site to show "MCSE: Private Cloud" will be retired, to be replaced by MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure. Still thinking about going for it...
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I see Microsoft have a special offer on the 70-532, 533 and 534 exams - $279 for the three exams - about 2/3rds of what I would pay by booking them individually, plus you get a free retake for each exam (6 month lifespan for the whole pack):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/azure-certification-training.aspx

I'm signed up for it and started the 70-532 course now with a plan to do all 3 in 4 weeks (they don't seem very difficult).

I've got the official MS books and Pluralsight video training so that should more than cover it.
    Please let us know what you think of the Azure exams and good luck!

I considered taking 532-534, but I've never worked with Azure before, so wasn't sure how authentic the certification would be. On the other hand I've done a lot of work with Systems Center and Microsoft private cloud tech, so thought 246 or 247 would be more appropriate. I'm taking 246 next Friday. Just now starting to gather study material.