Options

LinkedIn question in regards to certifications

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have a free membership to Lynda.com through my University. Part of my position is in regards to finance, such as forecasting etc. Well...... When I have a knowledge gap I like to hit Lynda it does a really good job most of the time.

After the training completes you get an opportunity to post your certification on LinkedIn. I have ~12 of these. My concern is looking like super cheese if I post all of these or even just some.

My work around is to just list them under courses and put the course title and the provider in that section. It's not as pronounced but still shows the willingness to continue to train.

I'm tempted to take my Coursera courses as well and put them under course and not certification. Again it gives you the option to easily put them on your LinkedIn as a "cert", which is huge and bulky. It's almost as big as the degree portion.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would list them under the courses section if it were my linked in. I save my certification section for the more reputable and challenging certifications that demonstrate mastery and I keep it at the top of my profile. The approach I would take would be to list Lynda.com (or Pluralsight etc.) as the "school" or institution and then log the courses under that. I think this would be a good way to show that you are constantly pursuing learning but wouldn't water down the certification section.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lynda isn't a certification body, it's an online education company. If they give course completion certificates, it would be more appropriate to list these in the Courses section. If you feel there's too much clutter, just list the ones that are relevant to your intended viewers.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, my cert list would be endless if I did put all the courses there...

I consider anything a cert if it has a more or less complex exam, a designation and a respected body that certifies with its authority that a person knows enough to pass. Like MCP or something... If they have an online verification procedure it also adds points towards being a cert... If it's just a course and a completion document and they don't have a database tracking all alumnis and no way to check -- I don't consider it as a cert even if they print out something that looks and even says that it's a cert.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only list the ones that are in demand and relevant. I would try to avoid going beyond 10 total. Sometimes less is more and listing every little tidbit of knowledge you once learned might distract away from your truly great accomplishments.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would avoid adding the courses, not unless you're trying show development toward a specific path..(think AWS,Android development,Wordpress knowledge..ect.)
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor