GSEC after SSCP/Sec+... Advice needed

RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
HI guys,

So I am looking for advice.
I have recently passed Sec+ and SSCP. Besides I have few other certificates (CEH/MCSE/VCP)

I am looking to start preparing for the next exam. Looking into the threads in this forum seems like GSEC is valuable at least in the job adds. Does it make sense to start preparing for it.

What I mean to ask is because the name is Security Essentials Certificate, is it a step below Sec+/SSCP, is there any gain in having it if you already have Sec+/SSCP, am I just going to waste my time/money, should I aim for something higher.

I am not planing on buying the sans training, so for the exam I was looking into ordering some books from amazon.

Comments

• LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From my experience, the GSEC (sometimes just referred to as GIAC), is more equivalent to a CISSP than the SSCP. So, basically an arguable step up.

That said, there may be plenty of employers who would accept CEH/SSCP just fine in the same space as a GSEC/CISSP, depending on the role's expected seniority.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    LonerVamp wrote: »
    From my experience, the GSEC (sometimes just referred to as GIAC), is more equivalent to a CISSP than the SSCP. So, basically an arguable step up.

That said, there may be plenty of employers who would accept CEH/SSCP just fine in the same space as a GSEC/CISSP, depending on the role's expected seniority.

Not trying to be excessively picky, but it's important not to improperly educate potential new members to the field. I have never heard the GSEC referred to as GIAC, and anybody who does do that is confused. GIAC is the certifying body that issues GSEC. GIAC issues dozens of other very widely used security certifications.

To your original question Replicon, I would not recommend seeking GSEC if you already have Sec+/SSCP. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world, but there are better places to spend your money/effort. There is absolutely no way GSEC should be considered equivalent to CISSP. GSEC is an entry level course. For example, GSEC does not qualify a holder for any DOD 8570 qualification except IAT Level II. Most industries don't have this type of certification matrix, but it is an example of where GSEC fits in the career field. In my SOC we send the briefers who are just out of college with English degrees and no technical background to GSEC so they can learn the basics of the field.

I'd recommend looking into facilitating one of the more advanced courses that are directly related to your desired career path. The cost will be similar to challenging, and you will get the full SANS experience.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
    My apologies, but I've seen it referred that way on plenty of job boards and with hiring managers. I'm not sure if you're saying I'm lying or doubting my experiences. But I'm certainly not trying to say "GIAC" means "GSEC." Just saying sometimes that appears in writing that way and to be aware of it.

I also take the cost of a cert/course into consideration. GSEC is more basic to the CISSP, but is often spoken in the same breath by hiring managers and HR screeners. I don't know many people who get GIAC certs without assistance/backing from their employer anyway.

OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was suspected that it was entry level certificate as there is "Essentials" in the name, but as its common on the job searches I thought maybe is entry level for GIAC but advanced compared to SSCP/Sec+.
    Thanks for the clarification. I will need to look elsewhere for my the next step :)
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LonerVamp wrote: »
    GSEC is more basic to the CISSP, but is often spoken in the same breath by hiring managers and HR screeners. I don't know many people who get GIAC certs without assistance/backing from their employer anyway.
    GIAC certifications are for practitioners unlike the CISSP, which is a management type of certification.

Frankly, the SANS training for the GIAC certifications is very high caliber and gives a lot of good information and practical situations based on the instructors experience. The GSEC is basically the general entry for most people but the GISF is the very bottom rung for GIAC certifications. If you have Security+ or any other security certification I would start with the GSEC.

I took the SEC401 class (goes with GSEC) and I was really impressed. I took the course more so to get comfortable with SANS and GIAC but you get hands on knowledge too with repeatable labs. Unless you need to do the CISSP, OSCP, or a vendor certification....frankly, I would try to do as many SANS courses as you can that are either relevant for what you do or geared towards a job change.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SANS is very expensive for what it is that they're delivering if you're paying for it yourself.
    I would agree with this, SANS stuff is very good. It's just cost prohibitive, even if you apply for the work study path.

• RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was thinking of challenging it. Having Sec+/SSCP and some real experience, plus there is GIAC GSEC book on amazon that should cover the material.
    I am hopeful that will be enough for the study material, my main concern was if that will add value to me, knowing that chanllenging the exam is 1300 so its not small amount to pay from pocket, that is if I pass it :)
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Other alternative could be the ISACA CSX-P training.