Just starting out

MadkingRevanMadkingRevan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone I'm new to the IT field and I'm doing the comptia IT fundamentals to make sure I can tackle the A+ Exam and was wondering if there was anything else I need to focus on. I was also wondering if an A+ certification will help me get my foot in the door anywhere. I'm in the medical field right now and I realized I want to work with computers. Any advice helps.

Comments

• Motty25Motty25 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A+ exam would be a very good start, or/and the MTA exams from Microsoft, which will help you gain knowledge of a lot of the core fundamentals you would need to build from.
  • MadkingRevanMadkingRevan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome thank you so much.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm a fan of people starting of as generalists first and becoming more specialized later in their careers. The thing that impresses me most about a candidate is when they demonstrate a desire to learn how it all fits together. How does someone demonstrate that desire to learn? Through their actions. Now, everyone's budget is different but there's a lot that can be done on a small budget.

Starting off with the A+ is a good start, Network+ and Server+ are ones you may want to look at afterward
    Entry-level Microsoft exams are good
    Cisco CCENT or CCNA would round out the three

Using something like VMware workstation and Cisco's VIRL product would have you with a home lab for under $200. And I have to say that if I had an entry-level candidate who said "I'm studying for my ..." vs one who said "I'm studying for my ... and I have built this home-lab to get me there", I like the second guy way more than the first. The second guy has a plan.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+ can certainly help you get into computer related work. I wouldn't worry about other than other noise floating around, get A+ and start applying.

Good luck!