Passed the eJPT Exam (Review Inside)

nebula105nebula105 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys!

I've just passed the eJPT exam! This course was a blast!

Overview of the Content

I purchased the PTS Elite package, which came with 60 hours of labs, loads of slides and 1 video per topic.

I glanced through the slides as I was mostly familiar with the content, and dug straight into the training videos and labs.

I clocked in a total of 20 hours in the lab, and I'll definitely be returning to the labs to use up the remaining 40 hours icon_wink.gif

The most important things that I took away from the PTS were the training videos and labs. The slides would be very useful for someone new to the pen-testing industry though.

Although 2 programming sections were mentioned, and materials were provided; they aren't needed at all for the exam. I'll be coming back again to work on the programming materials though.

Overview of the Exam

You're given 3 days to clear the exam.

I finished the exam in 3 hours.

The exam setup is basically a virtual lab, with a few devices for you to attack and obtain information from.

You're given several multiple choice questions to answer, which you then fill in and immediately get your results.

How you approach the exam is entirely up to you. You could brute force your way through everything, blast endpoints with Nexpose, Nessus or Acunetix vulnerability scans then follow up with exploits listed in them; or you could slowly hunt for information and work your way up. I must say though, that vulnerability scanners are completely unnecessary in this exam; but it will save you a lot of time.

Like MrAgent mentioned in a previous thread of mine; "Enumerate, enumerate, enumerate. Did I mention that you should try enumerating?"

Overall Review
I absolutely loved the hours that I spent working in the virtual labs, and the slides content was excellent (compared to EC-Council's slides)

I researched on the tools listed in the PTS course, looked for alternatives and looked for similar tools with different aims and functions to supplement my knowledge, and it actually led to me finding multiple vulnerabilities in my own company as well.

10/10 I would recommend the PTS/eJPT to fresh security personnel to gain more knowledge.

Comments

• lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your success. Looking forward to this as well because C|EH was pretty disappointing.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! What's next for you?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congrats!!

I have nothing but positive things to say about the eJPT, excellent hands-on labs
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Once I take the GSEC in a couple weeks, I think I'll throw some money at eLearn. I've hesitated for a while, trying to decide if I should start with the PTS course, or just jump in to the PTP course.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass! Nice review too!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • MaximlockeMaximlocke Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done son. Is buffer overflow covered much in it ?
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nothing on buffer overflow. It is in the PTP
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Once I take the GSEC in a couple weeks, I think I'll throw some money at eLearn. I've hesitated for a while, trying to decide if I should start with the PTS course, or just jump in to the PTP course.

Depends on your knowledge base. If you have a solid base it will be fine, but if you learning it, its a better investment to get the PTS done prior to the PTP. I think you get a basic version of the PTS with the purchase of the PTP.

I did the eJPT (after being completely disappointed with CEH) and I was very inspired. Now I am doing the PTP, much deeper in knowledge and ability needed to do it.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • logikillogikil Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is this series of certifications pretty widely recognized. I will have to admit my ignorance with regards to the certification body as I had not heard about them until becoming a part of these boards.
  • nebula105nebula105 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! What's next for you?

That's honestly a very good question.

My heart is tugging at the PTP but it may not be the most applicable course for my current role, nor do I feel I have the dedication at the moment, to really dive in to real pentesting.

I'm also looking at the WAPT and especially at the PND, because these two are in the spotlight where I work at.

I'm taking some time off in the meantime to reflect on what I really need :).. Although I can already feel my wallet moving to the PND.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In regards to the certs I would say they aren't widely known. But I would say that when it is seen on a resume at the very least it can be a talking point because someone is bound to ask what it is. Also, based on the reviews of others, if nothing else you will have the knowledge to wow those your interview with.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • nebula105nebula105 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    In regards to the certs I would say they aren't widely known. But I would say that when it is seen on a resume at the very least it can be a talking point because someone is bound to ask what it is. Also, based on the reviews of others, if nothing else you will have the knowledge to wow those your interview with.

I agree. Hiring managers and HR staff won't recognize these certs.

To me though, the knowledge and hands on experience is more valuable... The cert is more of a trophy :)
  • bluesquirrelbluesquirrel Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on getting the eJPT! I agree ... the quality of the material provided is very high!
  • mkjoungmkjoung Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What was your purpose of getting this cert? Were you applying to a new job or trying to get a pentesting-specific type of role? And how much did or will this cert help you get a job as a security analyst or a pentester? Thanks and congrats!