Options

Need Preperation suggestion for my CISSP exam Dec 2016

sameerzoomsameerzoom Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dears,

I have completed reading and understanding concepts from the Shawn Haris text book
(I completed sawh harris as I had started it a year ago and stopped so I completed it again now as It was very good in expalining concepts)

Now shall I briefly gothru the sybex 7th edition and the new pearson videos, shall that be enough
and also suggest me which question bank would be good..... like ******** or someone I am not sure please suggest...

My Background: I am a senior networking engineer at an ISP
MCP, CCNA, CCIE-Security,CEHV8, ITIL,Prince2.

Comments

• Options
    logikillogikil Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I doubt that my experience with the CISSP was too different than most folks so I can give you an idea of my approach:

Given your existing certs you already have a foundation so that definitely helps. I really only used a total of 2-3 resources. I read the Sybex 7th edition book cover to cover. As I was completing domains in the book I was using CCCURE test engine in order to just test questions in that specific domain. When I added a new domain I added questions from that domain to the set and increased the number. At the end I was taking practice tests of about 100 questions or so covering all 8 domains.

I also used the MP3 files that they offer on CCCURE as well. I found those to be helpful to frame information in that management format that people equate the CISSP as having. Finally, I did flashcards. I found that I learn much better writing as I read, so after I read the book I essentially skimmed through and created flashcards for each chapter. This was more as a memorization technique than as a tool to use for me to study.

Night before I stayed where I took the test over night so I didn't have any family distractions and was close to the testing site. I was up until probably 11PM the night before going over and writing some more flashcards. Woke up the next morning did a last minute cram and then headed in.

The strategy may not work for everyone as I tend to work best under pressure but the test took me 4 hours and I passed. Just my experience for what its worth.
  • Options
    ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Will cybrary course be enough, any practice exams recommendations
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cybrary is not enough in my opinion. It is a great source but should be supplemented with something deeper. I liked the Sybex 7th edition. There are several practice questions in the Sybex book. You might also want to try McGraw Hill for their practice tests. It is based on the old 10 domain test but the questions are still relevant.

https://www.mhprofessionalresources.com//sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl
  • Options
    80hr80hr Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I liked the Sybex book and the 11th Hour ( older resource). The 11th Hour was written for the old CISSP but still is a good resource .
    Have: CISSP,CASP,MBA,ITILV3F,CSM,CEH

2017- NEED PMP
  • Options
    DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    logikil wrote: »
    I doubt that my experience with the CISSP was too different than most folks so I can give you an idea of my approach:

Given your existing certs you already have a foundation so that definitely helps. I really only used a total of 2-3 resources. I read the Sybex 7th edition book cover to cover. As I was completing domains in the book I was using CCCURE test engine in order to just test questions in that specific domain. When I added a new domain I added questions from that domain to the set and increased the number. At the end I was taking practice tests of about 100 questions or so covering all 8 domains.

I also used the MP3 files that they offer on CCCURE as well. I found those to be helpful to frame information in that management format that people equate the CISSP as having. Finally, I did flashcards. I found that I learn much better writing as I read, so after I read the book I essentially skimmed through and created flashcards for each chapter. This was more as a memorization technique than as a tool to use for me to study.

Night before I stayed where I took the test over night so I didn't have any family distractions and was close to the testing site. I was up until probably 11PM the night before going over and writing some more flashcards. Woke up the next morning did a last minute cram and then headed in.

The strategy may not work for everyone as I tend to work best under pressure but the test took me 4 hours and I passed. Just my experience for what its worth.

I like this strategy, I think I'm going to steal most of it :D. Like yourself I tend to do better under pressure (code for I procrastinate & create false pressure), but I'm vowing not to do that this time. For the past couple of days really months I have been tossing around taking the CEH or CISSP and after passing the CASP a few days ago I was still really indecisive until this morning. In looking at both I think the CASP domains will align more with the content of the CISSP and after the marathon sessions of studying I feel like I should build on that by going directly into studying for the CISSP.

My goal is to be more disciplined with my studies and pace myself at a much more manageable level instead of my normal routine of setting a date, letting that date go by, setting another date just to again let that date go by, then buying a voucher and setting a date and make my life miserable because now I can't do anything else but study. I think this will be a good exam to cement in a lot of the concepts that I have learned and give me a better understanding from a high level point of view.
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • Options
    Dears,

Thanks for all ur valuable comments I will try ccure, please give me comments on the below resources:
    1. Boson exam simulator is it worth it buying and practicing
    2. What are the scores normally people get with first try with average prepration (Just curious about it)