Passed CISSP, What next?

ArdenUKArdenUK Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I passed CISSP via Pearson Vue, got the whole congratulations this is a provisional pass and we will in touch to confirm within 2 - 5 working days.. It has now been 7 working days (so not massively overdue) but still, overdue.

Has anyone else passed with Pearson Vue and had a delay in receiving an official response? When I check via the Pearson Vue/ISC2 portal it still shows a pass but nothing more.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congratz ..

please share your experience too
  • ArdenUKArdenUK Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks,

Sadly, there are no shortcuts!

I read Shon Harris CISSP All in One (Seventh Edition) page by page, ran through the practice exams which was an enlightening experience, apparently just reading aint enough, there is so much to take onboard!

On top of this I ran into some audio books from a class Shon Harris taught which are outdated but I found them very useful, if only because I was learning from a different medium and giving my eyes a rest.

The book = https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/CISSP-All-One-Guide-Seventh/0071849270
    Audio Book = McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams

Anyone have any experience with the turn around time for isc2 confirming the provisional result?
  • logikillogikil Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ArdenUK: My thoughts are you should have heard something by now. Regardless, if you have an ISC2 account that is tied to your testing (I think you actually need one in order to schedule the test) I would check the site to ensure it shows you have Associate status. Then head to the endorsement section and proceed to get your information filled in once you have identified an endorser.
    I was thinking the same, it's a bit strange, well maybe not strange, but new to me! I booked the exam via Pearson Vue etc and I do have an ISC2 ID on my Pearson Vue account but I don't have an ISC2 account if that makes sense?

I suppose when I create an account on the ISC2 website I may get prompted for the ISC2 ID that I have which would link it together. I have tried to call ISC2 but sadly, it just rings out!
    ArdenUK wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, it's a bit strange, well maybe not strange, but new to me! I booked the exam via Pearson Vue etc and I do have an ISC2 ID on my Pearson Vue account but I don't have an ISC2 account if that makes sense?

I suppose when I create an account on the ISC2 website I may get prompted for the ISC2 ID that I have which would link it together. I have tried to call ISC2 but sadly, it just rings out!

Called ISC2 and apparently they have the wrong email address which is a relief!! Out of interest, once passing the CISSP what certificates/path did you all go down? The concentration paths look interesting!
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First and foremost, congratulations!!! As for what's next, ISACA certifications may be of interest to you (assuming you haven't already looked into this). IT Certification - Audit - Security - Governance - Risk | ISACA
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
    amcnow wrote: »
    First and foremost, congratulations!!! As for what's next, ISACA certifications may be of interest to you (assuming you haven't already looked into this). IT Certification - Audit - Security - Governance - Risk | ISACA

Thank you! I will definately take a look into that! All seems interesting!
    Called ISC2 and apparently they have the wrong email address which is a relief!! Out of interest, once passing the CISSP what certificates/path did you all go down? The concentration paths look interesting!

It's good to hear that it was just an administrative issue. I'm sure that was a weight off your shoulders. As for what's next with respect to certs, I have been giving this question a lot of thought myself.

The decisions on what comes next are probably heavily influenced by end goals. My end state career goals are ultimately to be in the CISO shop of some organization. The question is what helps me get there. For now my Master's studies take priority, but concerning certifications there are a few that I have been thinking about:

CCSP: Cloud is relatively big in IT and securing it given the potential security and privacy concerns looks like it would be a full time job. There are not very many of these worldwide, so getting it early would be a distinguishing mark once it becomes more heavily recognized.

OSCP: The "fun" part of InfoSec to me lies in pen testing. This seems like it would be the perfect cert to meet this need. If nothing else it would help give me some practical experience that I don't otherwise already have.

CCNA/CCNP R&S: Before my new love affair with InfoSec, I was a Storage guy by trade, working support, administrating, and engineering. Studying for InfoSec certifications opened up the area of networking to me. Its actually much more complicated and interesting than I expected it to be and having some of the essential certs in the space makes sense.

That's just some of what I am currently looking at. The ISACA, GIAC, and CISSP specializations all seem interesting as well but there is only so much time in a given year :).
    logikil wrote: »
    It's good to hear that it was just an administrative issue. I'm sure that was a weight off your shoulders. As for what's next with respect to certs, I have been giving this question a lot of thought myself.

The decisions on what comes next are probably heavily influenced by end goals. My end state career goals are ultimately to be in the CISO shop of some organization. The question is what helps me get there. For now my Master's studies take priority, but concerning certifications there are a few that I have been thinking about:

CCSP: Cloud is relatively big in IT and securing it given the potential security and privacy concerns looks like it would be a full time job. There are not very many of these worldwide, so getting it early would be a distinguishing mark once it becomes more heavily recognized.

OSCP: The "fun" part of InfoSec to me lies in pen testing. This seems like it would be the perfect cert to meet this need. If nothing else it would help give me some practical experience that I don't otherwise already have.

CCNA/CCNP R&S: Before my new love affair with InfoSec, I was a Storage guy by trade, working support, administrating, and engineering. Studying for InfoSec certifications opened up the area of networking to me. Its actually much more complicated and interesting than I expected it to be and having some of the essential certs in the space makes sense.

That's just some of what I am currently looking at. The ISACA, GIAC, and CISSP specializations all seem interesting as well but there is only so much time in a given year :).

Sounds like you have it all worked out lol, cloud security is a great shout, the cloud isn't going away any time soon!!
    I wish I had it all worked out, I am just fluent in BS :)
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you have it all worked out lol, cloud security is a great shout, the cloud isn't going away any time soon!!

Congrats on the pass!

Can you give us a run down on what material you used and how long it took etc be great for people currently studying
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't see anything on ISC2 site that says I passed or anything. It only says on 12/5 an entry was created about my voucher and that $0 was owed. I don't see Associate or anything posted anywhere on there. I passed 11/10 and submitted my endorsement application 11/14 and received an email yesterday saying they were still working on it.
    Congrats on the pass!

Can you give us a run down on what material you used and how long it took etc be great for people currently studying

Sure definitely, I actually posted it earlier with the links to the resources but I think URLs caused it to require admin moderation!

Sadly, no shortcuts!I read the shon harris all in one CISSP guide (seventh edition) page by page.

I also found some great (but outdated) audio books narrated by shon harris, if you google McGraw hill CISSP it's the top link ;)

Two pieces of advise, practise questions!!! CISSP is as much a way of thinking as it is a test, you need the mindset, the reason I say this is all of the answers are technically correct but just some are more right, hence the mindset.

Lastly, I had to do a lot of questions to build my "stamina" it's very easy to lose focus and start clicking!!

Hope that helps!
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I don't see anything on ISC2 site that says I passed or anything. It only says on 12/5 an entry was created about my voucher and that $0 was owed. I don't see Associate or anything posted anywhere on there. I passed 11/10 and submitted my endorsement application 11/14 and received an email yesterday saying they were still working on it.

After you login go to the Members Only section it should show an Associate CISSP badge (green/orange) and your annual fee and CPE status. You can also click the profile button and that will download a pdf that shows CPE information, fee info, pass dates, ISC2 number etc.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Has anyone else passed with Pearson Vue and had a delay in receiving an official response? When I check via the Pearson Vue/ISC2 portal it still shows a pass but nothing more.

Congrats on the pass!

I got my email the very next day congratulating me on passing. Then they gave me instructions on the online endorsement process.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go for your A+ next!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif

I'm seriously considering going back for Net+ and Sec+ myself. Not sure why. icon_redface.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
    After you login go to the Members Only section it should show an Associate CISSP badge (green/orange) and your annual fee and CPE status. You can also click the profile button and that will download a pdf that shows CPE information, fee info, pass dates, ISC2 number etc.

Mine doesn't show anything. Many of the Members Only links tell me I don't have access. Under the Profile link under Credentials it is blank. I assumed I would not have access to any of this until after my endorsement comes back? You haven't received your endorsement back yet have you? And you can still access this information?
    That's correct dhay13. I created my ISC2 site login before I scheduled my test. I then linked my PearsonVUE account to my ISC2 login so that everything is connected. Once I passed the CISSP test, the ISC2 site updated all of credentials the same day. My endorsement has not yet come back but have access to the member Only section and can view whatever is allowable for an associate. Perhaps there is a disconnect between the PearsonVUE login and your ISC2 login.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCSP
    CISSP concentrations
    OSCP
    GIAC offerings (whatever suits your specializations best)
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    I don't think the Associate stuff shows up unless you applied for Associate status before testing. I did not opt for Associate status. My Membership page had me as a non-member. If you check the endorsement page while awaiting endorsement, you'll see that the endorsement is still being processed.

After you get your official designation email message, the endorsement page displays Congratulations. Then you'll see the members only information from there on out.

After you receive your designation, it's only 8 more weeks to get your card and your certificate. You will have access to an electronic certificate, but the paper comes later.
    I didn't do the Associates so maybe that is why I don't see it. I don't see an endorsement page. The only thing I see is under 'My Transactions' it lists my voucher and shows $0.00 balance with a date of 12/5. Might still be too early?
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I didn't do the Associates so maybe that is why I don't see it. I don't see an endorsement page. The only thing I see is under 'My Transactions' it lists my voucher and shows $0.00 balance with a date of 12/5. Might still be too early?

While logged in hover over certifications and then go to endorsement. There should be a link in the upper right that says Online Endorsement and that should show when the endorsement was submitted and that it is still processing. I think that is what trueshrekmc might be referring to. Any reason why you chose not to designate as an Associate?
  • CertBlingCertBling Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Brother! Im working on studying!

What was the hardest thing for you when studying?
    ahhh...found it. still says endorsement was submitted for review 11/14. Thanks!

I didn't select Associate because I shouldn't have an issue filling the experience requirement and I wasn't sure if I should have. I asked a co-worker who had recently passed it and he didn't select Associate either and his came back good so I went with that.
  • kabooterkabooter Member Posts: 115
    I then linked my PearsonVUE account to my ISC2 login so that everything is connected.
    Can someone please clarify how this is done?
    I have account at Pearson Vue which allows me to login to (ISC)2 :: Pearson VUE and shows the ISC2 ID too. But I can not login to ISC2 site with same username/password or email address/password. Do I need to create a separate account at ISC2 and link the two accounts?