Screws

jcamilo91jcamilo91 Member Posts: 17 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to rack mount my cisco gear for my ccna lab. When i look for rackmount screws on ebay, i normally see m5 or m6 cage nuts and screws. Which ones do you guys use?

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does your rack have pre-drilled holes or square holes that take cage nuts? If it takes cage nuts then it really doesn't matter as long as your screws and nuts match. If it's predrilled, then you'll want to research your rack.

I typically have used #10-32 or #12-24 panhead phillips screws
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    If you have a power drill, you can make a 10-32 fit in any pre-drilled hole. :D
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use 10-32
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    pevangel wrote: »
    If you have a power drill, you can make a 10-32 fit in any pre-drilled hole. :D

True, but can you get it back out...
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jcamilo91,

The screws are dependent on the holes in your rack.
    Or.....you could just use duct tape. Get 'r done!!!
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    thomas_

Just don't lose the drill. Taking it out manually will make you wish you just bought the right screws.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jcamilo91 wrote: »
    I am trying to rack mount my cisco gear for my ccna lab. When i look for rackmount screws on ebay, i normally see m5 or m6 cage nuts and screws. Which ones do you guys use?

Pics of your network rack? Could be 10/32 or 12/24 for predrilled holes. If you have square holes and cage nuts, then I recommend the M6 Phillips kit.
  • jcamilo91jcamilo91 Member Posts: 17 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I purchased the Skeletk 20u 24IT rack. I am at work so i am not able to post a pic.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    lwByy9h2So_C_B_big_big.jpg
    jcamilo91 wrote: »
    I purchased the Skeletk 20u 24IT rack. I am at work so i am not able to post a pic.

What is included:

- Each 20U Skeletek Rack includes: 8 sets of cage-nuts (4 per set). One set used for each device.
    - All assembly screws, bolts, nuts, washers included. 2 socket wrenches. Assembly instructions
    - Optional: Add UB-L Universal brackets for only $9.99 each with no extra shipping charge. Enter code# 789552 during checkout. Valid only with Skeletek C Models or B28U-HD.

Note: Extra cage-nuts are sold separately. Each set is for one device mounting.

So did it not come with any, or just not enough?
    Good luck getting it back out even with a drill without drilling it out. You most likely will break the head off or strip out the head if you cross thread the screw with a drill.