Good Office Chair

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
What's a chair that you recommend, I currently have one that's not even a year old and it's a piece of junk. Makes noise and isn't very sturdy. Whats a good chair you would recommend?

Comments

• Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    I know that it might not be answer you are looking for but I would recommend a standing desk. I've made the switch about 2 years ago and I have never looked back.

Is this for home or for the office?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    A treadmill desk is even sweeter. My hubster has that at his home office.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @Iris

This would be the one I'm sitting in right now at work. Definitely a decent chair. Even though my company bought the medium sized ones and would love to have a large one... I'm 6'2
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I also got sick of annually buying chairs so I moved to two Herman Millers: one Aeron and one Mirra. You can usually find a nice used one for half the retail price.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Holy crap, I can't afford a real office chair. I sit in these at work, but dang for at home? I could only dream of it.

This one fits my budget better: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Low-Back-Computer-Chair-Black/dp/B01D7P5BFS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1481206658&sr=8-4&keywords=amazon+chair

Anyone have experience with these cheap Amazon chairs?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I do, PJ. That's why I switched to the Herman Miller chairs. Got tired of achey backs icon_sad.gif
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to work somewhere with an early version of what looks like the Aeron. I am not sure if that was what it was called at the time... this was 15-16 years ago. They were nice chairs. And it appears that Gregory House had one of these (or something similar) as his desk chair in his office, so I approve on that basis, as well.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    LOL! Understood. I guess you can't put a real price on your comfort. And really, your health too because back issues are AWFUL, and can literally disrupt your life for days at a time.
    That chair looks like torture if I had to sit it for any long length of time PJ! At home I created a standing desk. I don't work from home very often though and usually don't spend more than an hour or 2 standing at the computer at one time. Tired of all my back problems and sitting on my butt all day.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    I used to have that one, Shochan. I had it for a year until recently. No lower back support and the padding gets flat after 6 months icon_sad.gif
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I too use a Herman Miller as my office chair and can vouch for what everyone else here is saying about them. A good office chair really makes the difference and if you spend a lot of time sitting, its worthwhile to be comfortable. However, (IMO) the best setup is to have an adjustable standing desk along with a nice chair. That way you can stand for an hour, sit for an hour, etc.
    One thing I should state is that the amount of time I sit at a chance is probably more than the average person. Some days working at home so ~8 hours + CCIE studying which I'm doing so that's another 6-8 hours. Different people may need different things.

Verities is spot on with the recommendation of a good chair + a good adjustable standing desk. Probably the healthiest way
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to have that one, Shochan. I had it for a year until recently. No lower back support and the padding gets flat after 6 months icon_sad.gif

yes, it doesn't lean back far enough for me and seems a little too firm for my bum...

I do have a herman miller chair @ work & I do agree it is probably more comfy.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Holy crap, I can't afford a real office chair. I sit in these at work, but dang for at home? I could only dream of it.

This one fits my budget better: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Low-Back-Computer-Chair-Black/dp/B01D7P5BFS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1481206658&sr=8-4&keywords=amazon+chair

Anyone have experience with these cheap Amazon chairs?

Buy a good chair or you will replace it every year or two. Honestly, when looking at that chair I would rather sit on a couple of milk crates.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
    I've sat on a $20 chair from Walmart for the past 2 years. Put in countless "WGU hours" on that damn chair. The bolts are sticking through the padding and are starting to make me sore.

ANYTHING IS AN UPGRADE. icon_redface.gif
    Is this by choice or because you don't have the means to get a good chair?
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is the chair I use now which is pretty comfortable. My biggest issue is me slouching and not sitting up straight. Every time I think about it I try to correct myself but years of poor posture have set in.

WorkPro 15000 Series Big Tall High Back Chair BlackSilver by Office Depot & OfficeMax
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have the WorkPro as well and found it to be a good substitute for the Herman Miller but it does not have much lumbar support. I love the Herman Miller but I can't justify the price. I would take it as a gift or if someone at work gave one to me.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also have this WorkPro 15000 and it is an excellent chair. Over the last couple years I find the hydrolic lift seems to be going out and when I come home at night the chair is almost always all the way down. Not sure if there's a way to fix it, but the chair is comfortable and large, the leather keeps you warm once you get it started. Ergonomically it sits exactly where I need it to for my desk.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Is this by choice or because you don't have the means to get a good chair?
    That's a really good question. Honestly, it's both. I've been meaning to get a new chair for a while, but the $100+ always seems to be better spent on groceries or school clothes for the kids, if you know what I mean. I am not poor, but I can't really justify the expense of a $200 chair either.

The padding flattening out and making my legs and back sore has kind of brought this to my attention though, so it was humorous to see this thread pop up on TE. This level of discomfort is no longer sustainable for the remainder of time I need to devote to WGU, which will be another five months or so. Gotta make a change soon, and I think it's come to that point.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    here is one that doesn't look like it will break the bank http://www.hayneedle.com/product/sertamicrofiberexecutiveofficechairlightbeige.cfm?redirect=false&source=pla&kwid=OfficeChairs%20High&tid=MILL003-1&adtype=pla&kw=&gclid=CK2ujqKj5dACFZGJaQod_P8EDw

I found that thinking maybe an ebay search would be a good way to go or maybe craigslist. Anyway I came across this and about crapped myself http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MID-CENTURY-STEELCASE-ROLLING-OFFICE-CHAIR-INDUSTRIAL-STEAMPUNK-/152348954704. We just dumpstered a bunch of old chairs at work. I can't believe what people will buy.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
    That is pretty good looking chair for $80. I actually just had a conversation with my wife about buying a new chair. We decided that I have to wait until after we recover from the holidays because we want the kids to have a decent Christmas.

But who knows, maybe Santa will visit dad this year? We shall see!
    Man, I'm feeling extremely guilty because over Black Friday my wife and I had a conversation about buying a 3rd car I've always wanted but absolutely don't need. She knows I bust my ass and actually convinced me to get a brand new one (obligatory pic) instead of the used one I was checking out.

Anyway, PJ, I'm thinking about your butt (not in that way!) so go find a chair up to $100 somewhere online, PM me your address and I will make sure you have it in your house before Christmas. Happy Holidays!

P.S. If you refer to me as "Santa" the deal is off icon_smile.gif
    icon_cheers.gif That is extremely nice of you Cyberguypr. Maybe we could pitch in a little? The picture of the small chair off amazon PJ posted earlier makes my back hurt just looking at it. I'd throw in $40 for the cause. I don't think I'm quite "cyberguypr rich" yet.

Only a tiny bit jealous of the ride too...
    Very nice, Cyber. That makes my car look sad icon_sad.gif
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blame my wife. All I wanted was a gently used one. Argh, women!
    Hey hey hey, your lady obviously thinks you deserve it. A good lady is hard to find. Hold onto her :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

i know these are supposed to be the best, but i have had them at 2 different jobs, and they are nice, but never blew me away

byron66 wrote: »
    This is the chair I use now which is pretty comfortable. My biggest issue is me slouching and not sitting up straight. Every time I think about it I try to correct myself but years of poor posture have set in.

WorkPro 15000 Series Big Tall High Back Chair BlackSilver by Office Depot & OfficeMax

this is more my style, I like a chair that the seat and back maintain the L shape even when they lean back. i have a chair I got from Sam's that I have had for 10 years that I love, but the hydraulic is dying. I will just be sitting and randomly I start to lower to the ground. freaked me out the first time
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark