SM-SRE-900-K9 - Too Good to be True?

pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone hear of the SRE's being counterfeited? Price is too good to be true... Has to be CH-isco.

New Cisco SM SRE 900 K9 2X SM DSK SATA 500GB 4GB Control Processor ISR G2 2900 | eBay
CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT

Comments

• jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    LOL @ CH-isco.

I don't know man. But for $300, it is tempting...
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'm sure they are bootlegging them, but I don't know if this one is. I know a lot of guys who run bootlegs in the labs. Just a cost of doing business. I haven't messed with them, but its not surprising.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Bootleg is better than no leg....lol....

But seriously, I don't know. Having installing and trying to set up a SM-SRE-900, if that is a China special, they did a heck of a job, down to all of the stickers on the hard drive.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    I don't know man. But for $300, it is tempting...

Get one and let us know ;)

I'm working on a little surveillance system for the perimeter of my house - I'd love to run the LINUX CCTV box on an SRE w/ESX - one less thing to have to power up.
    There was a thread a while back about counterfeit WICs - I ran 3 CH-isco VWIC-2MFTs, back when they were going for what the VWIC3s are going for today. One of the cards failed in the lab after a year (of light use). I ended up pitching all 3 but I certainly got my money's worth out of 'em!
    pitviper wrote: »
    Get one and let us know ;)

I'm working on a little surveillance system for the perimeter of my house - I'd love to run the LINUX CCTV box on an SRE w/ESX - one less thing to have to power up.
    You're running an ISR G2 in the home? *hating* lol. I was looking at the license for those SRE-V, but couldn't find anything.
    You're running an ISR G2 in the home? *hating* lol. I was looking at the license for those SRE-V, but couldn't find anything.

Yes and no LOL - The ISR2 is in the lab, but everything is slowly getting meshed together.

Not sure on the licensing requirements. I was able to put the 4.1 install package on a couple of SM-SRE-700s with no problems - I haven't tried anything newer though.
    You ran the actual install package from VMWare or did you get the specialized software from Cisco? If it is the former......*rubs chin*
    For what it's worth - I emailed the seller and asked it the modules were genuine or OEM. He got right back to me and said that they were genuine.

Looks like Cisco EOL'd the 700/900 and replaced them with the 710/910 - only difference being faster HDDs. (7200 vs 5400) These might be a good deal after-all:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps10598/eol_c51-709051.html
    You ran the actual install package from VMWare or did you get the specialized software from Cisco? If it is the former......*rubs chin*

Cisco install package - it's the same process as installing the CUE image onto one of these bad boys.
    pitviper wrote: »
    Cisco install package - it's the same process as installing the CUE image onto one of these bad boys.
    I was about to say...lol. I think I read it came with a 60 day license then they put down the hammer. lol
    So I went ahead and snagged one of these guys icon_twisted.gif

If it's a KO it's perfect - and they never usually are. No "extra" copper flashing, no crooked components, the fonts on the stickers match the fonts on the SM-SRE-700 that I compared it too... I'll report back when I get some software on it. icon_thumright.gif
    c2911_HQ#sh inv

NAME: "Services Module with Services Ready Engine on Slot 1", DESCR: "Services Module with Services Ready Engine"
    PID: SM-SRE-900-K9     , VID: V03 , SN: FOC15114A9Y

Software installed without a hitch - not sure what happens after the ESXi eval period though = may still work with limited functionality like a full blown install, may not work at all. I have a vSphere license that I'm using in the lab - which apparently works fine on the SRE (no more eval warning).
    interface SM1/0
     ip unnumbered GigabitEthernet0/0
     service-module fail-open
     service-module ip address 10.1.200.252 255.255.255.0
     service-module ip default-gateway 10.1.200.1
    !
    ip route 10.1.200.252 255.255.255.255 SM1/0

c2911_HQ#service-module SM1/0 status 
    Service Module is Cisco SM1/0
    Service Module supports session via TTY line 67
    Service Module is waiting for registration message
    Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled
    Service Module is in fail open
    Service Module status is not available
    No install/uninstall in progress

Localstore Info
    =====================
      Please reset module to retrieve
      localstore information if needed

c2911_HQ#service-module SM1/0 install url ftp://admin:admin@10.1.200.100/sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.1.pkg
    Proceed with installation? [no]: yes
    Loading sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.1.pkg.install.sre !
    [OK - 6520/4096 bytes]

Service module installation
    ios_version     15.2(4)M3,
    ios_image       c2900-universalk9-mz
    pkg_name        sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.1.pkg
    key_file        sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.1.key
    helper_file     sre-v-installer.SPA.smv.2.0.1
    pid             SM-SRE-900-K9

Check target platform capabilities
    cpu      1865
    Please select disk configuration (-1 = nonraid, 0 = raid0, 1 = raid1 ) [-1]: 0
    Resource check completed successfully. Proceeding to Install ...

c2911_HQ#service-module sm1/0 status 
    Service Module is trying to recover from error
    Service Module is in fail open
    Service Module status is not available

Module resource information:
      CPU Frequency: 1865 MHz
      Memory Size: 2530 MB
      Disk 0 Size: 500107 MB
      Disk 1 Size: 500107 MB
      Disk 2 Size: 1954 MB

Install of ftp://*****:*****@10.1.200.100/sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.1.pkg in progress
    Install status : Waiting for RBIP registration

Localstore Info - (0 apps)
    =====================
      Retrieving localstore information

Jul 19 00:34:53.515: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_RBIP: SM1/0 received msg: RBIP Registration Request
    Jul 19 00:34:53.519: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_RBIP: SM1/0 received msg: RBIP File Request
    Jul 19 00:35:40.851: %SRE_SM-6-STATE_CHANGE: SM1/0 changing state from SERVICE_MODULE_STATE_ERRQ to SERVICE_MODULE_STATE_STDY
    Jul 19 00:35:57.731: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_PROG: SM1/0 PROGRESSING: Validating package signature ....
    Jul 19 00:35:57.843: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_PROG: SM1/0 PROGRESSING: Parsing package manifest files ....
    Jul 19 00:36:30.627: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_PROG: SM1/0 PROGRESSING: Starting payload download.
    Jul 19 00:36:32.887: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_PROG: SM1/0 PROGRESSING: Starting payload download.
    Jul 19 00:37:01.967: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_PROG: SM1/0 PROGRESSING: Performing Hot install ....
    Install successful on SM1/0. Please wait for module to reset before next operation.
    Jul 19 00:37:59.139: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_SUCC_RESET: SM1/0 SUCCESS: install-completed. Please wait for module to reset before next operation
    Jul 19 00:39:24.171: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_RBIP: SM1/0 received msg: RBIP Status Req
    Jul 19 00:39:24.171: %SM_INSTALL-6-RBIP_STATUS: SM1/0 RBIP status is at Secondary Bootloader Verified Copying to Primary.
    Jul 19 00:39:55.495: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_RBIP: SM1/0 received msg: RBIP Registration Request
    Jul 19 00:39:55.495: %SM_INSTALL-6-INST_RESET_COMP: SM1/0: Module reset complete.

c2911_HQ#service-module sm1/0 status 
    Service Module is in Steady state
    Getting status from the Service Module, please wait..
    Cisco SRE-V Software 2.0.1.0
    VMware ESXi 5.0.0 build-474610 running on SRE

Module resource information:
      CPU Frequency: 1862 MHz
      Memory Size: 4067 MB
      Disk 0 Size: 1000000 MB
      Disk 1 Size: 1955 MB

No install/uninstall in progress

No localstore

c2911_HQ#service-module sm1/0 session
    +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |                                                                                                              |
    |                                                                                                              |
    |       VMware ESXi 5.0.0 (VMKernel Release Build 474610)                                  |
    |       CISCO SRE                                                                                         |
    |                                                                                                               |
    |       Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L9400 @ 1.86GHz                                          |
    |       4 GiB Memory                                                                                      |
    |                                                                                                               |
    |       Download tools to manage this host from:                                                |
    |       http://10.1.200.252/ (STATIC)                                                              |
    | <F2> Customize System/View Logs                      <F12> Shut Down/Restart      |
    +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

83c3.jpg

GNS3 running on the router backplane via SRE-V (for funzies):

ik0t.jpg

Now I just need some extra DRAM so that I can turn up the Embedded Service Engine and run CIMC Express - evidently it requires 1GB of RAM, and the second CF slot to be populated.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Very cool. Could you associate ports from an ISR switch module to the ESXi vSwitch?
    I don't think so - ESX "sees" the 2 internal NICs between the SM and the backplane, and the physical NIC on the front of the SM itself.

It's just a matter of time before we see a flavor of CUCMBE running on an SRE.
  • legioxilegioxi Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also picked up one of these for $300. Running a few VMs without issue. I also picked up an SRE-300 on eBay for $300, came from HK but it works flawlessly with the WLC package.

However I'm thinking about trying to upgrade the RAM in the 900 with some non-Cisco brand RAM. Anyone try this with one? I googled it for a bit and didn't see anyone upgrading their SRE-900.

Probably going to pick up a second one for my other 2911. Definitely makes running VMs less expensive on the home electric bill... assuming I can get at least 8GB of RAM in them.
    Welcome to the forum! icon_cheers.gif

I considered replacing the RAM, but never went through with it mainly because some vendors list the replacement Cisco Part number (SM-MEM-VLP-4GB) as being a 244 pin VLP DIMM, while most VLP DIMMS are listed as 240 pins. Never really had the chance to count the pins on one of the sticks that comes in the SM-SRE.

I can tell you that you cannot replace the HDDs with non-Cisco drives. I tried switching to a couple of 7200 RPM WD drives and the unit balked on startup.
    Thanks! Been lurking around for a while, working on my CCNA and following posts on home labs mostly.

I ended up ordering some VLP modules off eBay. Could only nab 1 Viking COO module (same type as the factory modules), the others are Viking (with the viking helmet logo). Should have them tomorrow or Thursday to try. Cisco says you can only buy the RAM upgrade from the factory, so it may be that the parts are somehow hard coded into the board. Will know soon!
    I doubt the RAM is hard-coded - there are 3rd party manufactures selling a direct replacement part number (just not at prices that I want to pay LOL). The HDD probably has something written to the firmware, like the Xbox drives do.

Good luck, and please be sure to post your results!
    I picked up a pair of modules from eBay which worked perfectly.
    DDR Memory 8192 MB detected
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L9400 @ 1.86GHz
    BIOS SM 3.52.8, BIOS Build date: 02/08/2011

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L9400 @ 1.86GHz
    BIOS SM 3.52.8, BIOS Build date: 02/08/2011
    System now booting...

The module linked is what I bought, but I nabbed a pair of them for under $50. I also have a mismatched pair, one of the linked module plus one Viking COO module which I haven't tested. I plan on picking up another SRE-900 to run in my other 2911 for a clustered ESXi setup.

Wondering if the 8GB modules (saw a couple of them) would work in it for a total of 16GB of RAM. Though the processor would probably be the bottleneck at that point. Not to mention the SAN box or local HDDs.
    Last post was moderated or is waiting for moderator approval. It did work though, VLP DDR2 generic 4GB modules off eBay. Came up without an issue and lists 8GB now. When I have some extra money I'm going to pick up the 8GB modules on eBay to see if those work in it.
    Awesome - I'll have to give it a shot! icon_thumright.gif
  • ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    I know this is an old thread but what would it take to replace a failed drive in one of these puppies? I purchased a NME-AIR-WLC8-K9 and have successfully configured my 1st wireless controller with 4 APs scattered throughout the house.

Unfortunately, it seems that the NME-AIR-WLC8-K9 can only be upgraded to a certain version. Being a frugal shopper, I was looking at the SM-SRE-900-K9 with bad/no hard drives/IOS.

What's involved in replacing the drives in these puppies?

Thank you so very kindly for your time and consideration.

Your friend,
    Paul
    I'm guessing the drives have custom firmware on them - I tried to replace with SSDs/7200 RPM drives and none of the dives that I tested with were recognized.
  • theunftheunf Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□

That's easier than you think ... try any esxi license and it works!
  • theunftheunf Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Say some articles about problems getting these SRE with no hardrive to work with regular ones : is a nightmare.

Got mine SRE900 with two HDs and they are working fine.

I'm about to upgrade RAM ... any1 tried the 2x 8GB hack ?
    Are your hard drives non-Cisco? I was never able to get the module to recognize non-Cisco HDDs.
  • adventureradventurer Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,
    Other than the Vmware hypervisor license, is there any special Cisco license required to activate a SRE-900 ?
    Because I have found these steps in the install guide, not sure are these necessary.

SRE-Module# show license feature Feature name Enforcement Evaluation Clear Allowed Enabled
    SRE-V-HOST-LIC yes yes yes no
    SRE-Module# show license permanent A blank line indicates that no permanent license is installed

Installation and Configuration Guide for Cisco Services Ready Engine Virtualization 1.0 - Managing the Cisco SRE-V Software Licenses [Cisco UCS Express] - Cisco
  • adventureradventurer Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I no longer need a reply to the license question. Found out after much searching around,
    1.0 & 1.1 use Cisco licensing
    1.5 & 2.0 use Vmware licensing

License Activation Change for Migration to Cisco Services Ready Engine Virtualization Release 1.5 or Later - Cisco
  • pccespcces Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi adventurer

I was about to purchase a VMware licence but found I could use the free licence. It removed some advanced feature from the 60 day demo such as clustering but I am unlikely to use it anyway.

How-to Apply VMware Free License to VMware ESXi - ESX Virtualization (this is for Esxi 6. You will just have to select the earlier product)

I have done some other test but never posted because I though this thread was dead.

I tried some other HDDs with no success.
    ORIGINAL: HGST 5K500.B-500 HTE545050B9A300 (500GB 5400RPM)
    TESTED: HGST 7K1000-1000 HTS721010A9E630 (1000GB 7200RPM)
    TESTED: A 1000GB SSD that i no longer have the spec for

theunuf: did you try 2x 8GB RAM? I'm looking to upgrade my RAM wondering if I should buy 2x 4GB or test out the 2x 8GB.

Also I have been accessing the VM console interfaces through VMware Workstation 12. The graphics scaling works a lot better than on vSphere client.

Currently running sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.1. Can't figure out a way to get access to sre-v-k9-r.SPA.smv.2.0.2 because the product is already end of life. Don't know what the improvements are either.

If anyone has done further testing please share results. I am definatly still interested and actively trying to improve my use of this product