Windows 70-697 materials

AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all. I'm just getting started studying for the 70-697 so that I can upgrade my Windows 8 MCSA to Windows 10. I've read through a couple of threads here and used that to determine what I'm going to need to study. The list is a bit long but from my previous experience it is really important to include all the TechNet stuff because Microsoft draws a lot of questions from there.

I've never used ITPro.TV before but I see that they offer Transcender access even under their monthly plan. That would certainly make it worth paying for it but I wondered if anyone has used them before and can confirm that Transcender tests are free through them.

I'm looking forward to working with everyone else here while studying for this test :)

Microsoft Press book:
http://www.amazon.com/Exam-70-697-Configuring-Windows-Devices/dp/1509303014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459254176&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+70-697

Azure 90-day trial:
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/offers/ms-azr-0018p/

Azure TechNet material:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/gg605186.aspx

Azure TechNet forum:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?category=windowsazureplatform

Azure MSDN forum:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/home?category=windowsazureplatform

InTune 30-day trial:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn646967.aspx

Intune TechNet material:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj676587.aspx

Intune TechNet forum:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?forum=microsoftintuneprod

Office 365 TechNet material:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg681899(v=office.12).aspx

Office 365 TechNet forum:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=officeitpro

ITPro.TV videos:
https://itpro.tv/course-library/mcsa-windows-10/overview70697/

CBT Nugget videos:
https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/microsoft-windows-10-70-697-configuring-windows-devices

Transcender practice test:
https://www.transcender.com/product.aspx?product_id=Cert-70-697

MeasureUp practice test:
Configuring Windows Devices

Comments

• UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    There is the Windows 10 library in Technet:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn986868.aspx

I also signed up as a Visual Studio developer (it is free) which gives 6 months access to Pluralsight training courses and a discount on MS Press ebooks and access to the Microsoft Virtual Academy (plus a load of other stuff like free Azure credit).
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-dev-essentials-vs.aspx

CBT Nuggets do a passable video training course too.

thanks
    Iain
  • AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow! That Visual Studio signup sounds awesome! Thanks for providing that and the Windows 10 Technet :)
    Based on the review of the exam by BlackBeret‎ I want to strongly caution people against doing the ITPro.tv 70-697 video series. It is totally off base when it comes to what topics are actually being tested on. It looks like CBT Nuggets is right on the mark though. I think I just wasted three weeks on the ITPro.tv videos and want to save others from doing the same.
  • m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is not a classic "desktop exam" and yes, most of the material out there wont prepare you for it. Lots of hands on and TechNet reading ....
  • ejonesazejonesaz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just starting the process of preparing to take this exam in the next few months. This forum and your list is a timesaver so thanks! Here's to us all passing the test.

Cheers
    This is it, the moment of truth. Got my test scheduled for this afternoon! 2+ months of studying. Hopefully I pass :)

I'm attaching the notes that I put together for this test. I collected them from a variety of different sources and I know there are some redundant notes in there because of that but I cleared most of them out. The notes aren't all inclusive because I didn't add in things that I already knew like the back of my hand but there is still a lot in there. Hopefully they are of some use to others.
    Passed with a 795! I didn't run into any concepts that I hadn't come across in my studies so that was definitely helpful. There were several questions where I feel like Microsoft thought it would make it too easy if they gave all the necessary details so they left some information out which meant you need to fill in the blanks. Not a fan of this but I'm assuming it is done because in the real world you don't always have all the relevant information and still need to make the right decision.

I don't think it is giving away too much to say that I was surprised at the number of Offline Files related questions that I got. It was either 4 or 5 and I wasn't as prepared on that as I apparently should have been.

Best of luck to everyone else!
  • MrCWiltzMrCWiltz Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. I am studying for the 70-697 now. I will definitely use your notes as study guide.
  • culpanoculpano Member Posts: 163
    Well done on passing 70-697. I am just about to start the studying myself and hope to take exam in early August.
    AMD4EVER wrote: »
    Based on the review of the exam by BlackBeret‎ I want to strongly caution people against doing the ITPro.tv 70-697 video series. It is totally off base when it comes to what topics are actually being tested on. It looks like CBT Nuggets is right on the mark though. I think I just wasted three weeks on the ITPro.tv videos and want to save others from doing the same.

Good to know about the CBT Nuggets course. I have used James Conrad's videos for both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and they were spot on. Prepared me well for the two configuring exams.
  • kseeksee Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all (from Canada)

I'm taking the 70-697 Exam on Wednesday Morning.. I'm an MCSA in 8.1 planning to update on to the Windows 10 Path.

I started studying seriously in April (had a 2 week break in May for personal reasons) but returned and was back on track.

What Material I Used:

-Read the entire Exam Ref 70-697 PDF Book
    -used Skillsoft Simulation Exams
    -James Conrad's CBT Nugget Videos for Windows 10, all 99 of them.
    -90-day Trials of Azure, Intune, O365 and Window 10 Enterprise
    -Recently added AMD4EVER's notes

I'm basically going through the Sim Exams over and over and brushing up on the book 30 min in Mornings and 30 min before sleep.

Sounds complete right? We'll see.. :\ I honestly feel 75% confident when I should be 100%. This exam seems odd. But I might be second guessing myself.

I'll be back with feedback on Wednesday of next week.
  • RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where does blackberet ever mention the ItproTV material? He said he used Skillport/Skillsoft. I don't think they are the same.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
    Hello again,

Passed! 727.. (A pass is a pass, right?)

Its as tough as people say it is. Not to be taken lightly.. I had 49 Questions and almost used the entire 2-hours. So here is what I saw / advice:

-Read!And Read more.. Trust me. They'll start talking about something.. But totally unrelated to the solution.

-tons of Offline Files questions. Seems like every second question talked about this. How-to's, exhibit-based, GPO-related, scenario related. (So know that stuff!)

-Questions asking specifically in what Order you would need to Implement Things.. Example "Adding Intune Rolein CM" What would you do First? Same goes for O365 and Remote App. "What order would you do things so-and-so..?" The Exam Ref. 70-697 Book prepares you on that well.

-Random Questions on: BranchCache GPO Exhibit question, be familiar with AAD Sync (same as DirSync), 3 x questions on Windows Store for Business (whatever that is!), Where to go in Intune to do something (know all workspaces within Intune, like Admin, Updates, Reports etc!)

-You will get a Series of 8-10 questions: "Select the correct control panel applet for this issue.." The series will have different questions with always same selection of answers to choose from: Work Folders, Network & Sharing Center, System, Power Options, Phone and Modem etc.

-Use process of elimination: You'll have multiple choice questions in regards to tech you're not to sure on, with-in the question you'll see a couple garbage answers (if you've been in IT long enough) you'll know the garbage answers when you see them, so trust yourself) Basically, throw out the garbage to narrow your chances.

Can't think of anything for now.. brain numb from all the cramming.

Good luck all!
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
    Ritual wrote: »
    Where does blackberet ever mention the ItproTV material? He said he used Skillport/Skillsoft. I don't think they are the same.

Just to clarify, ITProTV and Skillsoft are not the same. I don't have a comment on ITProTV as I never saw them.

Skillsoft has a Windows 10 online Course (hosted by Jason Yates) its not bad, very thorough.
    If you just want to pass the exam, watch the 70-697 CBT Nugget Video (hosted by James Conrad) They are specifically aimed @ 697 and content is complete.

I watch all 99 videos but by the time I got through the end, I felt like I needed a refresher and re-watch some earlier ones. I ripped the audio and listened to them to and from work for about a month.
    ksee wrote: »
    Just to clarify, ITProTV and Skillsoft are not the same. I don't have a comment on ITProTV as I never saw them.

If you just want to pass the exam, watch the 70-697 CBT Nugget Video (hosted by James Conrad) They are specifically aimed @ 697 and content is complete.

I watch all 99 videos but by the time I got through the end, I felt like I needed a refresher and re-watch some earlier ones. I ripped the audio and listened to them to and from work for about a month.

Congrats on the pass.

I used James Conrad's video courses for the configuring exams for Windows 7 and 8.1 and passed them both so I will sign up for a month and watch his Windows 10 course. I am also using ITDVDs which is a series of short videos (233 of them) but it's very hands-on and I am labbing as I go along. This covers all the material in the objectives in a quickfire way then I will do the CBT Nuggets videos. Cheers for the tips.
  • franco67franco67 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Studying for this exam too. I have Windows 7 Certification, Can I take this exam to upgrade my certification to Windows 10.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not that we're aware of, so far only just Windows 8

If you can upgrade your XP or Windows 7 to Server 2012, you'd think you could upgrade to W10, but not as of yet
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • romeospadreromeospadre Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats everyone on passing!
    I've just started the Transcender tests in prep for the exam in a couple of weeks. Oh crikey the questions are tough !
    Yep, the Transcenders match the difficulty of the test pretty closely
    I am running through the Transcenders again for last minute prep. I have already noticed two mistakes in their answers for questions I am sure I had got correct. One on Intune they were really getting mixed up so I went back into the interface and confirmed it. They were talking about deploying apps from a web page but their answer on Android package was hosting the app on Intune itself. Totally mixed up. One thing that really bugs me is when Microsoft talk about recovery and PC refresh, PC reset. They seem to use a different term depending on where you look. There is no such official term for Win 10 called "refresh". It's just two options under "reset", one where you keep your personal files and one where you delete them. However defo no official "refresh" term. Yet in the Transcender the correct answer was refresh and their explanation was got from a Windows forum where they happened to mention the word refresh. So frustrating this is !!! #PRE-EXAM-STRESS
  • Cwolf93Cwolf93 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This test is definitely no joke. I bought the Booster pack with four retakes and decided to go take the test today and scored well below the passing score. I wasn't very confident going into the test but thought I had a chance.. but I guess it gave me a better idea what to expect.

I studied using CBTnuggets and the Trancender practice exams. I only watched the CBTNugget videos in areas I wasn't confident in and I did the practice exam questions to the point where I could look at a few words in the question and immediately pick the answer. Studying this way killed me as the test covered every subject and I only knew a specific thing or two about each item and it would ask something else. I'm going to go back and watch all of the CBTNuggets videos and read some technet articles.

One thing that some other posters have stated is that you can definitely eliminate some of the answers on each question. I was unprepared and I still turned many questions I had no idea on into a 50% chance. If you have a good base idea of what everything covered in the objectives does you should be able to do the same.
  • Dreday42Dreday42 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sat in on the exam yesterday and passed. From what I took yesterday, I had questions about SCCM connectors for Intune, a question about Hyper-V and switches. Azure Remote Apps and App-V were there as well. Can someone point me in the direction of some good 70-698 test material please?
  • rhsattrhsatt Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm prepping for the exam now as well. Read the sybex book, but it looks like that's worthless. I have the measureup test to work with, and cbtnuggets. Hoping to knock this thing down by the end of the year.
  • cory79cory79 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,

I see that this thread has been quiet for the last few months. Does anyone have any updates that they would like to post? I just passed my Security+ exam with two weeks of studying. I was given in insanely short deadline from my employer.

I'm having the same issue as everyone else in that there isn't much information our there to study.

Are there a lot of questions that focus on the command prompt?
  • ian 123ian 123 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are quite a few questions based around powershell.
    I suggest you learn the basic parameters for intunes, O365 and power schemes. I think that was mainly what I got
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ive got my exam at the end of next January. I haven't done a exam since I left school 16 years ago and I was never good at them.

Thanks to people in this thread, I have been reading the Andrew Bettany 70-697 study guide, Sybex 70-697 study guide, watching all of the CBT Nuggets 70-697 videos, will be on be on my second round of watching them again soon. Over the weekend I will be setting my some VM's, signing upto the free trials of O365, Intune and Azure while reading all the technet notes. This will be my first ever Microsoft exam even though I have been working in IT for over 10 years.

I hope this will fully prepare me for the exam as I am doing this by choice and paying for it myself, therefore I need to pass icon_sad.gif I am going to book the exam with exam replay incase I dont pass first time round.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just spent 20 hours in the last two days studying. Read the book in the original post. I watched the CBT nugget videos.

Now I can't find any practice tests. What. The. Hell.

What is the best paid option for practice questions?