FAIL 70-410 Today (FRUSTRATING_)

Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm soooooooo ready to give up on this exam. I have wasted so much money, and time on this stupid exam. Today I went once again to take the exam. The last 2 exam i took i scored 676 on both exams. Today I scored 606 what the HELL. Right now I'm comparing all 3 exam and it's all over the place. Not one section is the same or showing that I'm weak on. First exam it showed my weak points was on the Group Policy, next exam on the core section. Today's exam it was installing and configuring server. That was a strong section in the other exam...

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!! I have one more try since I bought the boost package when it was available. I'm going to try toward the end of this month. If I can't get it this year I'm done and telling my job forget it!!!!! I really don't want too but man this exam is killing me.

I do remember one some of the questions I had trouble and went back to my book. I did try it on my lab and I got that question wrong. Oh well I just need to cool off tonight knowing me I will continue to try until i pass it! Don't know if wife will give me more money after this if I fail to take it again... Might have to pimp myself to get the cash hahahah
2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
2021 - *Security+*
2022 - * Pen Tester*

Comments

• Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whats a booster pack?
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I admire your persistence. I probably would've given up by now. I hope that you get it on the next go around!
    If I can't get it this year I'm done and telling my job forget it!!!!!

Also, what happens if you don't pass the exam?
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't give up Louie! Sorry to hear you didn't pass but you can do it!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sorry to hear you aren't alone man I've failed a few exams twice!
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm feeling for ya man. I thought I was good at studying for certs. I've done hundreds for the manufactures like HP, Canon, etc and even ones requiring month long classroom work and never have I had anything as hard as the 70-410.
  • Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^ Whats specifically hard about it?
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't give up !!! I'm studying for this exam too, when I have time. Your determination give me hope that some day I will pass!!

Are you using any practice exams? Measureup............ Transender? Are you able to do any Virtual labs through CBT Nuggets, Boson, or IT pro tv?

I think the hardest part of these Microsoft exams, is that you need to do it the "MICROSOFT WAY" Also, you need to give the Microsoft answer, which isn't always the correct answer in the REAL WORLD!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Quench24 wrote: »
    ^ Whats specifically hard about it?

It wouldn't be so hard if there was a way to know exactly what to study, but the breath of the possible questions and the lack of a direct study path makes it pretty hard. All the books do a terrible job on their own of preparing one for the exam so you have to buy several of everything to get all the information. Its made that way on purpose I'm guessing to prevent people who can simply read a book and take a test from having it too easy.

Louie could simply be getting the worst of questions.
  • deemacdeemac Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OMG!!!! Here is m thinking i might be the only one.
    This Particular exam is so crazy, i have done this exam at least three times and have had similar experience to Louie
    Honestly, i gave up for a couple months....but have to go back to it soon
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all. You are right you have to buy multi books to learn if it's the right way or not. I believe my job would be okay on if I don't pass the exam. I already have the tittle and pay for the job. But still want to get the cert to back it up. No matter what I'm going to continue to study. Going to see if I could take it towards the end of the month or next month... Need to figure out if my company will pay or not for next year material.

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am so sorry to hear that. Don't give up my friend. Good luck for next time!
  • EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    Thank you all. You are right you have to buy multi books to learn if it's the right way or not. I believe my job would be okay on if I don't pass the exam. I already have the tittle and pay for the job. But still want to get the cert to back it up. No matter what I'm going to continue to study. Going to see if I could take it towards the end of the month or next month... Need to figure out if my company will pay or not for next year material.

oh no! icon_sad.gif Don't give up Louie - we're rooting for you!

perhaps (if you dont mind) you can share your approach and methodology in how you are preparing for the exam? others may have some pointers or advice that may help you pass the exam next time.

I do sympathize with you, though. Microsoft's exam objectives are vague at best - and what they summarize with one sentence can lead you down a few different rabbit holes. For example. From the microsoft exam objectives on their website. Link is here:

"Install and configure servers (15–20%)
    • Install servers
      • Plan for a server installation, plan for server roles, plan for a server upgrade, install Server Core, optimize resource utilization by using Features on Demand, migrate roles from previous versions of Windows Server
      • Configure servers
        • Configure Server Core, delegate administration, add and remove features in offline images, deploy roles on remote servers, convert Server Core to/from full GUI, configure services, configure NIC teaming, install and configure Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration (DSC)
      • Configure local storage
        • Design storage spaces, configure basic and dynamic disks, configure master boot record (MBR) and GUID partition table (GPT) disks, manage volumes, create and mount virtual hard disks (VHDs), configure storage pools and disk pools, create storage pools by using disk enclosures"

Just look at the very first part of the first bullet point: Plan for a server installation. This can cover multiple different things on its own, to name a few:

1) Migrating roles and features from older versions of Windows server to Server 2012 / R2
    2) Trick questions to find out if you know what roles & features are available in Server 2012 / R2
    3) Questions about minimum system requirements
    4) upgrading to and from server core
    5) organizational planning & hierarchy design

and lastly, but not least

6) doing everything through windows powershell, and knowing all the switches involved with that.

If microsoft were more concise in their list of exam objectives instead of blanket statements i am almost certain a lot of people who are struggling would have a significantly higher pass rate. In this regard CompTIA are very good as you can use their objectives as a pre-exam checklist to ensure you are ready to sit their exam. Microsoft's implementation of this seems to be luring people into a false sense of security.
  • alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dont give up man. take a break and get back at it again.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Louie.... Man you're so close to that finish line it would be madness if you gave up! Keep to it bud and you'll get there, if these exams were easy everyone would have it :)
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Enticles wrote: »

If microsoft were more concise in their list of exam objectives instead of blanket statements i am almost certain a lot of people who are struggling would have a significantly higher pass rate. In this regard CompTIA are very good as you can use their objectives as a pre-exam checklist to ensure you are ready to sit their exam. Microsoft's implementation of this seems to be luring people into a false sense of security.

I agree with you Enticles, although I think that is part of Microsoft's plan - that they want people to lab things out and really dive deeply into the technology and know how to use it rather than study up on certain objectives. I'm in no way knocking the CompTIA exams because I think they're extremely valuable, I just think Microsoft purposely does things the way they do them to add value to the exams. I do realize it makes it difficult to really understand what they mean sometimes. I remember when I was studying for my exams I would look at each menu, action screen, window, etc and if there was even a single check box that wasn't covered in any of my training material I would look up on Google what it was and how to manipulate it with Powershell. I do agree though that it seems like CompTIA lays out their objectives a lot better than MS does. But CompTIA exams are also considered more entry level than the MCSAs.
    All the best,
    Anderson

• EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That also makes sense AndersonSmith, if it is intentional to raise the caliber of the candidates who can pass the exam then it is a massive success!
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't give up! These Microsoft exams are no joke. As AndersonSmith stated, Microsoft requires you to go above and beyond what study guides and videos will show you. Don't get me wrong, they help immensely. TechNet and Google (which usually leads to TechNet and tutorials) are the additional resources that helped me pass this one. I learned that the hard way with 70-640.
  • muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    Failed this exam 4 Times. :) First fail was before 2 years ago. FInally passed last month. Just around 700.
    This exam is very difficult.

Try to recollect the type of questions you got in last exams and prepare for the next exam . :)

Best of luck.
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying to see if the last week in Dec i could take it again. This will be my final try on before I really have to pay out of pocket again. Used up all the boost exam test I bought earlier this year. I"m glad i bought it before it was removed... anyway this weekend going to spend a couple hours building my lab from scratch... Doing to start all over and see how that goes...

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The thing I find myself doing is speed reading and quickly answering which is a bad thing to do. I think I finished the 70-410 in under 45 minutes to be honest. I did it again tonight in a practice exam for the 411 and I need to stop that. Microsoft likes to throw all kinds of information out there so be sure you slow down and read the question until the end and pick out what they are really asking. Also, read the answers from bottom to top. Easier said than done, I know.
    I guess its no test passing secret, but actually using the "elimination" method of finding the correct answer on the multi choice questions will improve your performance and maybe bring you over the top.

Before my final try I started from scratch as well and went through all my material again.
    WOW 45 mins... that is quick wish i would be able to finish things up that quick...
    AvgITGeek wrote: »
    The thing I find myself doing is speed reading and quickly answering which is a bad thing to do. I think I finished the 70-410 in under 45 minutes to be honest. I did it again tonight in a practice exam for the 411 and I need to stop that. Microsoft likes to throw all kinds of information out there so be sure you slow down and read the question until the end and pick out what they are really asking. Also, read the answers from bottom to top. Easier said than done, I know.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    AvgITGeek wrote: »

I think 45 minutes was about the amount of time it took me to do the 410 as well. The 411 took me a little over an hour and the 409 was almost an hour exactly. Although I have to say of all the 3 exams I took, I prepared for the 410 the most so it makes sense that it took the least amount of time to get through. The 411 was way more confusing for me.
    All the best,
    Anderson

• jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear but don't give up. Just out of curiosity how long did you study before taking the exam? Like how many hours a day for how many weeks? The exam is pretty tough even for those of us with a considerable amount of experience. You'll get it next time!
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought 410 was easier than 411.

One trick I use to read MS questions is to start from the bottom of the question, and move up. Then read the answers, then the question again.

But then again, MS publishes some BS questions that wont be covered in any book out there, but hey, there's a profit to made.

You really have to dig through the technet articles relating to the objectives for any kind of substance.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    you got this Louie1277. resilience is IMPORTANT to have I know you can do it!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • KinecticKinectic Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□