Comptia Security+ Exam Preparation

frank.albertfrank.albert Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have started preparing for the Comptia security+ Exam from CBT Nuggets Security+ Videos.
I want to ask that has anybody tried preparing for the exam from CBT Nuggets for security+?
How effective they are is it enough to pass the exam if I only study from the CBTs, or do I need to study
from some other resources as well.?

Thanks
Frank

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Darril Gibson online resources and book. Invaluable.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    James M. Stewart's book CompTIA Security + Review Guide was well enough... I would recommend just that, if you have 1-2 years experience or some other related certification. Did work for me!
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Gibson is the best resource, you will see many users on this forum praise it. Gibson also has practice simulations on his website that are worth every penny.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • frank.albertfrank.albert Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much folks for your valuable suggestions.

I'll definitely look into the material by darril Gibson.
    I have around 4 years of experience of working as a windows system admin.
    I want to know that is gibson's book and the practice questions along with CBT nuggets will be sufficient enough
    to pass the Security+ exam.

Thanks
    Frank.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Yes. I used:
    Professor Messor Security+ Videos on youtube (free)
    Read Gibson Book
    Did Gibson Practice Questions until I scored over 90%
    Purchased and did Gibson Practice Simulations from Gibsons website
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I did use CBT Nuggets and found their information to be very helpful, but I did also pair it with Darril Gibson's Book. Both were very good resources for me.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used professor messer's videos and study notes (these were amazing!), I also used Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets. Videos work best for me, but I did peruse through the Sybex Study Guide for practice questions, chapter summaries, glossary and so forth. There are also great free resources on the net that you can use for practice tests: CompTIA Security+ Practice Test Questions
    These were quite helpful in building test-taking ability and confidence.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • frank.albertfrank.albert Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much folks for sharing your experiences and valuable advice.

Frank.
  • LeftCoastLeftCoast Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, getting ready to take Sec+ for the first time next week, my first CompTIA cert.
    Can anyone give me an idea of how realistic the practice tests from examcompass are? Or any other freely available practice tests? I've gotten to the point that I can consistently get between 85-90% on every practice test I come across, but I don't know how similar to the actual exam questions they really are... That, and I know the real exam supposedly contains performance-based questions. Can anyone share their experiences of the kinds of things to expect on those?
    Thanks much!
  • ChinCChinC Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think those questions are a very good representation of what you'll see on the test, with the exception of the port numbers quiz, which looks useful (i.e. know your port numbers!!!). The questions on the exam were pretty verbose, often two to three sentences. Most of the questions in that link were pretty simple, mainly matching a word to a definition; you could probably answer most of those after reading the glossary of any study guide. icon_smile.gif You do need to be familiar with all those terms, but simply knowing them isn't enough for this exam.

Don't stress the performance-based questions too much. I think I had five altogether (took the exam back in January, so my memory is a little fuzzy). One was really difficult, and I didn't complete it. But the other ones were probably the easiest questions on the exam. You might see drag & drop, matching, data entry.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey lefty,

I liked the exam compass tests, they helped me. The one thing I don't think I found preparation for was some of the performance questions. Be familiar with the look and appearance of hashes/signatures and the like. That one almost tripped me up.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • haihohaiho Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just bought Darill Gibson's Security+ Book (Get Ahead Get Certificated). In this book, he mentioned to some labs and training websites. But when I connected to that websites, it redirected to other websites (blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com redirected to cartoons.com; labs. getcertifiedgetahead.com redirected to disneys.com). Anyone gets that mistake and how can I access to resources of Darill Gibson on web. Best regards,
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    haiho wrote: »
    I've just bought Darill Gibson's Security+ Book (Get Ahead Get Certificated). In this book, he mentioned to some labs and training websites. But when I connected to that websites, it redirected to other websites (blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com redirected to cartoons.com; labs. getcertifiedgetahead.com redirected to disneys.com). Anyone gets that mistake and how can I access to resources of Darill Gibson on web. Best regards,

Both of those addresses load normally for me. You may want to check your computer for malware.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Read Mike Meyer's Security+ Passport, Professor Messer's free Sec+ videos, and Pluralsight training videos. I found that Pluralsight training videos were extremely valuable. It's an expensive service, but I got three months free by registering my Microsoft account.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    haiho wrote: »

reset your browser and try again. If it continues, run a scan for malware.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't say about CBT Nuggets nut can advice you for uCertify which I used uCertify which was advice by my university, the ucertify courses was just similar to the real exam paper or I must say the exam was much easier then that of uCertify assessments and labs.