Blogs

binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
How are some of you creating your own blogs? Are you writing all the script yourself or are you paying someone else to do it?

Comments

• knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    You asking how to do it from the ground up? Like...

1. Buy a domain
    2. Get WordPress
    3. Pick and template
    4. Write about what you know/do
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yeah, I bought a cpanel based hosted domain, and used one of the built in blogging platforms. All the content is mine.

You can do very similar thing with many hosting packages (PaaS) that include things like Ghost, b2evolution, Jekyll, Anchor, Mephisto, Wordpress. Or you can also go one of the SaaS routes like blog.com, blogger.com, squarespace.com, svbtle.com, tumblr.com etc etc
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also host my own blog using wordpress. You can go the wordpress.com route(or any one of the many online). If you already own a domain, you can attach it to your wordpress.com account for like 14 bucks a year, which is cheaper than getting a hosting account. However, if you do that, you limit yourself to just blogging. I used to run my own webhosting business so for me, having the option to add additional scripts and make customization is important.

As far as the content goes, it is written by me. I don't have ads setup either, this isn't something I am trying to monetize.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As a security person who deals with a lot of IR Please go the managed route with wordpress.com. Nearly every day I see a new exploited wordpress site or a new flaw with wordpress.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    wastedtime wrote: »
    As a security person who deals with a lot of IR Please go the managed route with wordpress.com. Nearly every day I see a new exploited wordpress site or a new flaw with wordpress.

Wordpress is just one of many, so many exploits for Wordpress because it's so easy and popular. Write your blog in Python if you want.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    Wordpress, my own domain, running at a hosting company. I might have used wordpress.com had I known the difficulty of managing my own blog, but customization is far more limited with them. I have some custom CSS stuff that I couldn't do with WP.com. That said, to echo the previous posters, security is a big problem. With the right plug-ins it's manageable, but I had a lot of trouble with spam comments and one time my database got hacked and corrupted. I just had a professional WP company overhaul it which is worth doing, but pricey. If you just want to dabble a bit, get a wordpress.com blog and you can always migrate the content to your own site later.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got a domain set aside for once I pass the last CCNP exam and start the CCIE process. I have no desire to write code myself for this, will be using one of the low-cost hosting platforms.
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    EANx wrote: »
    I've got a domain set aside for once I pass the last CCNP exam and start the CCIE process. I have no desire to write code myself for this, will be using one of the low-cost hosting platforms.

Curious, why wait?
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Figured I'd start fresh after the holidays. Otherwise I either have gaps or talk about skiing trips.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like the "Shared Hosting" plan on DreamHost.com which will give you WordPress that is automatically updated (you're responsible for plugins if you install any) and they will also manage your Let's Encrypt cert and renewal.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm actually in the process of shifting away from my free wordpress.com (not to be confused with wordpress.org) since it's giving me headaches, not correctly parsing single, double quote, and greater/less than characters for my code and text blocks. I really hope Markdown is the way to go. I plan to use Jekyll to create my blogs on GitHub, and this is not quite feasible as there are some learning curves involved.