CASP 14-Dec....

DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
So today was the day, my exam was scheduled for 9am and I arrived at the testing center at about 7:15. I sat in my car listening to notes that I recorded, then I started reading notes that I typed from my phone. After about 30 minutes I got enough courage to go inside to sign in, take my picture and when the lady behind the counter asked if I needed to lock anything away - I Panicked thinking about being at this same testing center on 31 Aug when I received the failure notice. At that point I went back to my car pulled my notes back out and started reviewing until about 8:30 I realized that if I didn't know the answers now, I still wouldn't know them 30 minutes later.

Keep in mind for preparation I read the Sybex book 2x, skimmed through it a 3rd, read the Troy McMillin book, did the following training video series: FedFTV, Skillport, CybraryIT QuickCert, took practice exams from Transcender, CCCure, Skillport, FedFTV, QuickCert. I made hand written notes (more than 2/3 of and 80 page notebook), typed notes, read my notes out loud into a recorder and listened to those notes. You will be amazed at the types of dreams that you have when you fall asleep with headphones on listening to yourself recite IT concepts

When I finally get in to start taking the exam decide I will not even look at the simulations, so I end up skipping questions 1-10. When I get to question 11 the structure of the Comptia questions are nowhere what I was getting from the any of the practice exams that I had taken. So I take a moment to breath and try to clear my head because now I'm running odds in the back of my mind about how many questions I have to get right to make up for the simulation questions that are frightening me (currently the networking side of things is my weak point) and I seem to have repeated this process 70 times until I got to the end. When I finally hit the review button it hit me that I had 10 simulation questions to think through with a little more than 30 minutes remaining. Again I take a deep breath and systematically go through them when I get click the done button on question 10 I had about a minute remaining so I just let the counter expire.

Now I really wish Comptia would put the survey questions at the beginning or after the score is posted because I had 4 or 5 heart stop moments wondering when my results would pop-up. When I finally get to the results I scan through until I see congratulations in the text and in my mind I throw my hands up but in reality I just sat there for an extra minute staring at the screen. Success........ I can now remove the failure stamp from my forehead
2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DntH8Me wrote: »
    So today was the day, my exam was scheduled for 9am and I arrived at the testing center at about 7:15. I sat in my car listening to notes that I recorded, then I started reading notes that I typed from my phone. After about 30 minutes I got enough courage to go inside to sign in, take my picture and when the lady behind the counter asked if I needed to lock anything away - I Panicked thinking about being at this same testing center on 31 Aug when I received the failure notice. At that point I went back to my car pulled my notes back out and started reviewing until about 8:30 I realized that if I didn't know the answers now, I still wouldn't know them 30 minutes later.

Keep in mind for preparation I read the Sybex book 2x, skimmed through it a 3rd, read the Troy McMillin book, did the following training video series: FedFTV, Skillport, CybraryIT QuickCert, took practice exams from Transcender, CCCure, Skillport, FedFTV, QuickCert. I made hand written notes (more than 2/3 of and 80 page notebook), typed notes, read my notes out loud into a recorder and listened to those notes. You will be amazed at the types of dreams that you have when you fall asleep with headphones on listening to yourself recite IT concepts

When I finally get in to start taking the exam decide I will not even look at the simulations, so I end up skipping questions 1-10. When I get to question 11 the structure of the Comptia questions are nowhere what I was getting from the any of the practice exams that I had taken. So I take a moment to breath and try to clear my head because now I'm running odds in the back of my mind about how many questions I have to get right to make up for the simulation questions that are frightening me (currently the networking side of things is my weak point) and I seem to have repeated this process 70 times until I got to the end. When I finally hit the review button it hit me that I had 10 simulation questions to think through with a little more than 30 minutes remaining. Again I take a deep breath and systematically go through them when I get click the done button on question 10 I had about a minute remaining so I just let the counter expire.

Now I really wish Comptia would put the survey questions at the beginning or after the score is posted because I had 4 or 5 heart stop moments wondering when my results would pop-up. When I finally get to the results I scan through until I see congratulations in the text and in my mind I throw my hands up but in reality I just sat there for an extra minute staring at the screen. Success........ I can now remove the failure stamp from my forehead

Proud of you man! Congrats!
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice, congratulations!
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats man Great Victory, also a very good story teller.icon_cheers.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WOOHOO, time to celebrate! CHEERS & HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very compelling story. You had me wondering right up to the end. Congratulations on another victory!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Drinks all around, congrats!
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all! There have been many inspiring stories on here that help keep me motivated and also let me know when I'm slipping being lazy.

Special Thanks to greg9891 "Steeler Nation!"
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Boom! HEADSHOT!

Great job
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice work! Don't be so hard on yourself :) We all fail exams every now and then. My first attempt at ICND1 I missed the test by one, maybe two questions.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! :D
    Question for anyone that has done both would the domains and the content align more with CEH or CISSP? Both are on my goals list but after my effort with the CASP I would like to transfer over into as much like minded material as possible. I took the beta exam for the CSA+ and I've heard that is somewhat similar to the CEH but I'm not really sure.

With this question I'm trying not to repeat mistakes that I've made in the past. I get indecisive, start reading multiple materials then get nowhere with any of them. By the time I settle down on my direction I've wasted 1/2 the year.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Go for your CISSP. Do the CEH on your free time. 90% of the Security jobs will take a CISSP over a CEH. Plus the CASP material is still fresh in your head.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • letapragasletapragas Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DntH8Me wrote: »
    Keep in mind for preparation I read the Sybex book 2x, skimmed through it a 3rd, read the Troy McMillin book, did the following training video series: FedFTV, Skillport, CybraryIT QuickCert, took practice exams from Transcender, CCCure, Skillport, FedFTV, QuickCert.

congrats bro. What material did you think was the most comprehensive and which practice tests (if any) seemed to help prepair you the most?
    letapragas wrote: »
    congrats bro. What material did you think was the most comprehensive and which practice tests (if any) seemed to help prepair you the most?

The CCCure & the Transcender exams that I took. (I subscribed to ITPRO.tv for the transcender exams). Neither are structured like the actual exam but the practice options on both really helped me to understand the material. I started with small tests 25 questions you just have to be honest with yourself by admitting when you are guessing on a question and review every single time you aren't sure why an answer is right or wrong then read the explanation. Since the CASP isn't 100% technical or managerial you have to understand the information to be able to pick out exactly what the questions are asking you.