Options

Got a new job in the field i'm interested in!!! Couldn't ask for anything more

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys!!

Hope everyone is having a good end of the year. I am!! I couldn't ask for a better Christmas gift then this!

So I applied for a position I thought I was underqualified for. Long story short, I applied went through the phone interview. 2hrs after the phone interview, I was given the job!! :):) The job is for a penetration tester which is what I spend my time studying outside of my current job and is 1 of my passions in IT!! All my hard work with studying instead of playing video games has paid off!! Started doing certifications 4 years ago in 2012 and haven't regretted it since!!!! So starting in the new year, I will be a penetration tester!! :) I am super excited for this position and don't want to mess things up and really want to shine in this new role!! Been reading books and doing labs from OSCP/GPEN to mentally prep myself! With that said, does anyone have any recommendations for starting off in pen testing?

Thanks all Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!! :)

Comments

• Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Congrats on the job, hope it's all you dreamed of. With that said I think I found a link that can help you prepare on your new job. Take a look.

Enjoy
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome news, congrats.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Awesome!!! Congrats man! I'd definitely be interested in it if you blogged/journaled your adventures into pentesting.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! It's great when your hard work pays off.

Anyone new to the field reading this take note! You will never get the job you don't apply for.

To practice pentesting, I set up a virtual lab: A kali VM NAT to the outside (for updates) and networked inside to a metasploitable2 VM and a DVWA server VM. I have been working through a book called Kaili Web Penetration Testing Cookbook and its been a great experience. When you are ready to test your skills I recommend looking at some of the VM's from Vulhub. You can just add them to the virtual environment and hack away.

Just out of curiosity, I saw you post yesterday on my thread that had a pentester job posting. Was that the position you applied for? Don't feel you have to answer this if you don't want.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new role blessings!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Go through the VMs at vulnhub.
    Remember that penetration testing also requires a lot of writing. So it may be a good idea to practice by working on vulnerable VMs and creating a write up of what you found and what you did.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations! Great news!
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□