Passed GSEC!

globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
I took and passed the GSEC yesterday as part of the Core Engineering graduate certificate icon_cheers.gif. The test is kind of a beast. There is so much material, such a broad range of information. I took both practice tests over the weekend, scoring a 76% and then an 82%, then managed a 92% on the actual exam. This was my first SANS exam, and about half way through the test I kept thinking how much I wish they hadn't removed the in-exam score updates...

Next up is the editing assignment that is due in January, followed by the GCIH course in April. I think I'm going to go ahead and fork out the $800 for the elearnsecurity PTP course while it's on sale so I can work on it between now and April.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'll be taking the GCIH course in January and the exam a few months after that...going to miss my progress bar, but I'll manage!
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations. Do the practice exams still have a progress score?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechGromit wrote: »

Yep, at least as of a couple weeks ago it did. My real exam did too, on 11/30, assuming that is something they are implementing next year sometime? (too lazy to look up if it said when they were starting that)
  • globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »

Neither of my practice tests had the progress score, nor did the real exam. Though I was able to skip 15 instead of the previous 5.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you purchased your exam before 9/26, it will still be there. Not sure on the practice exams...I'm guessing those would be removed as well.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Makes sense, purchased mine before then
  • AaidenAaiden Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took SEC401 Last week, and have been thinking of sitting for the GSEC.

What materials did you use? Just SANS or anything outside that?

While the material is a mile wide it seems an inch deep and I "think" I could pass it without too much trouble with a bit of studying. And it always seems to help with multiple sources to study from.

Thanks for any input.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only used the SANS course material to pass. I definitely recommend making an index, and within that index be sure to include the commands from the books and labs. I nearly panicked when I saw references to commands and their modifiers, because I didn't have that in my index AND I left the workbook at home... Mistake on my part!

It's really similar to the Sec+ exam, but definitely much deeper. There was a lot less conceptual stuff and a LOT more real stuff that I haven't really put my hands on yet, like AD stuff and logging on Linux.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□