OnlineWirelessAttacks-OSWP

Just "semi-registered" for the course. I didn't purchase it yet but I have started the process. No, I didn't provide a work email address. Had no plans on it, wasn't even a thought. I gave a free email address. So I assume I'll receive instructions on how to provide identification in the near future. I prefer that route. Not bashing them, but they say they're bound by "strict" legal guidelines that require a work email.....yeah Ok.

Received the automated you'll receive an email within the next few minutes message. Considering I provide a free email, well see how that transpires.

When I have passed the exam, considering that I don't get on this site here often, I'll likely update this thread. With my multiple other obligations work/after work not sure of my projected completion date. Hopefully I can get this payment/identity verified more sooner than later.

LinkedIn/Indeed doesn't get many hits regarding the cert, I guess it's just another security-certification-resume-space-padder.

Received the email on my "free" email from offensive security while writing thisicon_lol.gif

Comments

• bluesquirrelbluesquirrel Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with the OSWP and keep us posted with your progress :)
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm just curious, if you'll have to give them all your info for payment and hopefully the certification itself, why so much opposition to a non-free email address?
  • Th3Ph3n0mTh3Ph3n0m Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey girlygirl.....are you really so girly?
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck with it. I purchased the course last week, went through the pdf and videos at work. I'll be doing the labs at home this week. I honestly found it to be extremely outdated material and fairly basic, but I'm sure it'll look like a good complement to the OSCP on my resume.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yea, the work email thing kinda threw me off.

I hope that it works out for you and I'm looking forward to reading this thread. I would like to take the OSWP soon. You're right about the OSWP not having a lot of hits on Indeed but the way I see it, it's a great start to get noticed for hands on pentesting.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OffSec really wants a "paid" email address, not necessarily a work one. So if you own a domain and have email through it, that works. The point is they don't want you taking the course material and distributing it to the internet, so they watermark your information into the materials.

If you had a free email, you'd just sign up, pay the course, distribute (or god forbid resell), and float away into the ether.

As far as the cert itself goes, you won't find many hits since it's not one that tons of people take and pass. But if you pass it, OffSec certs do have a reputation that means you can do the technical work hands-on, rather than some theoretical class and multiple choice test will show.

I'm a little surprised you started with OSWP and not their typical first-time student with PWK+OSCP. :)

Good luck!

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    LonerVamp wrote: »
    OffSec really wants a "paid" email address, not necessarily a work one. So if you own a domain and have email through it, that works. The point is they don't want you taking the course material and distributing it to the internet, so they watermark your information into the materials.

If you had a free email, you'd just sign up, pay the course, distribute (or god forbid resell), and float away into the ether.

As far as the cert itself goes, you won't find many hits since it's not one that tons of people take and pass. But if you pass it, OffSec certs do have a reputation that means you can do the technical work hands-on, rather than some theoretical class and multiple choice test will show.

I'm a little surprised you started with OSWP and not their typical first-time student with PWK+OSCP. :)

Good luck!

I am two steps ahead of you. My google domain is setting up as we speak. I just paid the 5 bucks extra a month for one user (myself). It is something I probably needed to do at some point before I die anyway, so what better time is better than now.

I had to read that last sentence about three times to get what you were saying icon_cool.gif I am not on that OSCP bandwagon. Truth be told, I haven't the time to devote to it. I have to much going on at and after work to dedicate the time. Considering how outdated I've heard the OSWP material is, I am going to do it but I am sure it's borderline a waste of money. Most updated (government) networks in 2016 I would assume don't have WEP. I've only worked in the DOD environment from military till now. So, I don't speak for other sectors. The syallabus section 9 goes over WEP. Considering how outdated the material is and the price, I am only doing this for the cert. Really I am just doing it for fun. In my area I have never worked in a building that even had wireless enabled (nor a building you could bring a cell phone inside) so I doubt it will be much beneficial to me. Unless I venture off somewhere else.

I am second guessing it already LOL Just playing. To the hills we go!!!

Ok. Did the post registration with the new email, got the wait 24hrs message. Smooth sailing from here..
    My alternative paid for (made up business).com email address didn't work. Just sent a copy of my passport. I think one of the members here works for Offensive Security. icon_rolleyes.gif . Back on track now.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ahh, makes sense. Glad you got in, the OffSec guys are good guys and easy to work with.

Again, good luck and have fun!

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    Paid. Received IRC Chat information, now awaiting materials that have to be downloaded within 72hrs of receiving them. I am not a big fan of IRC chats. I used to spend a bit of time in the A........ Chat rooms, among the others. Not a big IRC chat room kind of person. Unless I want to stay abreast on current events that aren't publicized. They can have a bad/good influence on you. You never know who you are talking to icon_twisted.gif Anyways, I'll update this when I start the course. More than likely not when I initially get the material, but we'll see. My plate is kinda overflowing at the moment.
  • rex0rrex0r Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry too much about the IRC. You'll waste more time on there than it is good for. No spoilers (not even a push in the right direction, or a push away from the wrong direction is allowed), heavy moderation from the admins, etc.. The only thing its good for (as far as PWK is concerned) is getting their "hints" for the machines you're working on.

Good luck with it. Looking forward to see how it goes. Would like to know if its worth it!
  • TampaITTampaIT Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Girly,

I feel you about the hesitation due to outdated WEP.
    I am even more hesitant because the exam is primarily WEP based instead of WPA/WPA2 with some Enterprise thrown in.
    IMHO, I don't consider saying, "Hey, I am certified to crack mostly WEP's, and some WPA/WPA2's. But not so much for WPA2 Enterprise.", something to really toot a horn about in celebration.
    All in all, I'm just disappointed in Offensive Security doing it this way, because their certs are so recognized.
    Their cert value would definitely increase if they were up-to-date with today's wireless protocols on their exam.
    In the meantime, I will keep my eyes and ears open for any updates and focus on finishing my BS from WGU and the CCNA/CCNA Security certs. Then maybe do the OSWP later next year.
    Can anyone actually be honest and speak on what their own ROI has been for getting this cert? As in, "My salary went from X to X after getting this cert.". Not so concerned about hearsay. Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear, unless you can actually prove otherwise.
    "Can anyone actually be honest and speak on what their own ROI has been for getting this cert? As in, "My salary went from X to X after getting this cert.". Not so concerned about hearsay. Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear, unless you can actually prove otherwise." The contract I'm on requires pentesters to have a pentesting certification. It doesn't matter which one really. One of the assessor's on our team took the OSWP, that gave him a quick pentesting cert, "promotion" to pentester, and I'm guessing about a 10k bump. Another guy did the same thing with the eJPT from eLearnSecurity.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    "Can anyone actually be honest and speak on what their own ROI has been for getting this cert? As in, "My salary went from X to X after getting this cert.". Not so concerned about hearsay. Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear, unless you can actually prove otherwise." The contract I'm on requires pentesters to have a pentesting certification. It doesn't matter which one really. One of the assessor's on our team took the OSWP, that gave him a quick pentesting cert, "promotion" to pentester, and I'm guessing about a 10k bump. Another guy did the same thing with the eJPT from eLearnSecurity.

eJPT and got a promotion? seems legit.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
    To be fair the promotion and pay raise's are because they know what they're doing and have been here for a while on this team. Neither learned anything new from those courses. It just happens that with this contract the title and pay bump require the person to have a pentesting certification. Whatever is easiest/cheapiest worked for them. It's about doing the job, no one other than management cares about certs.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Figured it was something along those lines. Good to know that it qualifies as a pentest cert though.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Obtaining the OSWP didn't do anything for me. It wasn't a requirement or even mentioned. I just did it because why not?
    OSCP allowed me to move to my current role on a red team, but no pay increase. I was already at my current salary, and I was happy to stay there in order to transition to this role from a systems engineering role.
  • TampaITTampaIT Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the feedback.