Bah Humbug! Holiday Giveaway!

xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
Hi all,

In the spirit of Scrooge McDuck, I will be giving away a Penetration Testing Student (PTS) course from eLearnSecurity. Tell me why it should go to you by posting below. Only requirement is you must have at least 30 post on this forum. I just recently took the eJPT and it is an outstanding intro to pentesting. You will enjoy the course, I promise. Just post below of a reason why it should go to you, something cool you did this season or how you helped someone else out and I will check back later. Good luck and ....

BAH HUMBUG!

1st call MAC_Addy...

PM me
Studying: GPEN
Reading
: SANS SEC560
Upcoming Exam: GPEN

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    cause I want it, and I have been here a LONG Time
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would mind it either, good way to start the new year with learning something new.
  • m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am to poor to afford it, and it might help me with finding a bit better job next year
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to secure my network at work, and at home, too. Plus, I love to learn. I've always wanted to get more in to the pen testing side, just never knew where to start or what to do. This would give me a great opportunity to start to learn.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    @ Mike-Mike, I see your 2010 join date and I raise you my 2007 join date. Also, I want it because I feel dirty having a CEH and CHFI and this can help clean my soul. Boom!

Just kidding, I hope it goes to someone trying to come up the infosec ranks. We really need more people who have passion for this field.

Incoming rep to OP for spreading the wealth.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Geez, @cyberguypr - I just checked my join date... I've been a member for over 10 years! My 11 year anniversary is coming up next month. I expect cake. Lots of cake.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    @ Mike-Mike, I see your 2010 join date and I raise you my 2007 join date.

we are old, but you started kicking up dust two years before me :)
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it bad I have so many posts in such a short amount of time... hmmm icon_scratch.gif

Gratz who ever gets the course! Decent material, I have the eCPPT that I paid for and only did about half it. Plan on doing it sometime... don't believe the one I purchased expires.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it bad I have so many posts in such a short amount of time... hmmm icon_scratch.gif

Yes its bad. Shows you are not spending enough time studying and more time posting and reading threads on here. Go study your eCPPT! icon_study.gif

ha im just messing with you Newb. Keep the activity up! icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a great thing you are doing, kaliboy! I'd go for it if I wasn't already enrolled in it. I can certainly vouch for you when you say what a great program it is.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome to see members giving back!
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's great that you are doing that. Thanks for giving back.

My reason? I got into the IT field later in life after an injury forced a career change. I barely knew how to turn a computer on when I started my college courses in 2005. After a couple of dead-end jobs I was losing interest in IT and started looking at other options. Early in 2015 I was contacted by a recruiter and was hired at my current position (Systems Security Administrator). That's when I found my calling. Love working in this field. This year I completed the Sec+ and recently the CISSP. My current job is temporary and I want to expand my horizons as much as possible to make myself more marketable. I know that currently hacking/pen testing are my weakest areas and it is something that intrigues me and an area I would love to get better in.

Thanks again and congrats on whoever wins this!
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I decided to do the CISSP instead of the CEH but I still need some good hands on technical training to go off-set all of the grueling reading that is ahead of me. Besides what else am I going to do with the new server that I plan to build over the holidays to host PFsense, labs, multiple VMs & Plex (because I might as well host a media server while I'm at it)
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Update: will be making first call at around 1630 CST. I will announce the name on this thread and just PM so I can give you the course code. You get 2 shout outs before I move on to the next guy/gal.
    Reading
  • HorizonThiefHorizonThief Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll start off by saying I don't have the 30 post minimum, but I've been a member for 2 years now. I've slowly made progress through my cert training and I'll work on being a more active community member (with substance) to hit the 30 requirement.

The reason I would like to be considered is because Cyber-Security is a path I was originally heading in with my cousin and now seems so lonely and daunting.

My cousin spent 6 years in the military doing IT, and we had made plans to pursue a B.S. program together (WGU) and knock out a handful of certs (mostly to help me). Unfortunately the day that he got OK'd for leave was also the day he passed away in a motorcycle accident. He would have spent all of December with us and then flew back out to Florida to finish up ONE month. Then he would have been done with the military and back home. He had secured a very comfortable job just a few minutes from my home. He died October 30th, a week before my birthday.

I'm thankful I got to tell him I love him a week before his accident. The weeks after have been very hard, and still are. I constantly question my worth in my new job and whether or not my cousin could have addressed a problem I couldn't.

I miss having that connection to someone I considered my best friend and a brother in the same field. Working at my desk or out in the field just feels so lonely now. To boot I'm working at the same high-school we attended together and it's hard. Thankfully I'm moving to a new school (same district) as their new primary site technician.

Even forgoing the pen test gift... if anyone wants to play BF1/Overwatch I would be down. I've been a little anxious about starting up games on the off chance he sent me a message I didn't see. I just want to find a friend like he was... I know that's not fair to ask someone but I don't know what to do.. We'd Skype and play games all the time and now I don't have that.

Sorry for the rambling, but it helps a little.

Thank you for your time.
    (In Progress)
    Accomplished:
    COLOR=#008000][B]100% Done[/B][/COLOR Comptia A+, Comptia N+, Comptia Sec+, AS: CIS (Networking Concentration)
    Goals for 2017: B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCENT, B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCNA: R&S B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B B.S. IT Security
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is something I want to take in the future, but I don't have the bandwidth right now, I struggling to study for my CCNA. Also I'm not hurting for money and probably could get work to pay for it. If no one else wants it, sure why not. icon_twisted.gif
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The suspense is killing me.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would like the course because I would like to continue my education and am starting a new pen testing job next year. Something nice I did is I donated some time to a soup kitchen during the holiday months!!
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My childhood friend of 20 years was USAF for 8 years and it gave him his jump into computer security with clearances and such. Now he has his own consulting practice that takes business from his former employer which screwed he and I equally hard. At the same time his baby mamas and the IRS came down on him and he was destitute. I was able to help him out (with what little I had) to get him back on his feet and now he's a sr. sec officer with a big corp and I managed to get my Sec+ out of the year. I'd love to have this since I can't afford it.

EDIT: I wouldn't ask for something from him because I don't feel entitled to anything; but you are giving this away so... why not ask? Right?

Unfortunately, I see I haven't met the post requirement. It'll come with some more time, but I intend to keep lurking and helping when I can anyway.

Thanks Kaliboy!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Vote for me and all your wildest dreams will come true. I'm just kidding, I don't really need it. I would love it but don't need it. Hoping you can find someone who really needs/deserves it. Thank you for giving!
    breaking my own rules but after all we are here to help.

p@r0tuXus please PM me. 1st call.
    Reading
    p@r0tuXu 2nd call...
    Reading
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    p@r0tuXu couldn't make it but i will accept the award on his behalf. He has authorized me via public notary. True story.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    @ Mike-Mike, I see your 2010 join date and I raise you my 2007 join date. Also, I want it because I feel dirty having a CEH and CHFI and this can help clean my soul. Boom!

Just kidding, I hope it goes to someone trying to come up the infosec ranks. We really need more people who have passion for this field.

Incoming rep to OP for spreading the wealth.

Meh, my original id (which still shows here and I can log into it, but cant post with it puts my join date at Jun 2003 (member ID theBard) so you want to call me old thats fine LOL
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    1st Call MAC_Addy...

PM me and you will get the course code
    Reading
    p@r0tuXu or Mac_Addy....

Whoever PM me first
    Reading
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Suspense is killng me.
  • muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    Is it Still available or already filled? :D

My reason is to get to going for Security track :)
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□

Gratz who ever gets the course! Decent material, I have the eCPPT that I paid for and only did about half it. Plan on doing it sometime... don't believe the one I purchased expires.

Actually Lab time expires in 2 Years, I still have 6 months to finish my WAPTv2 course :D

Thanks xxxkaliboyxxx for giving back.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    WTH, kaliboy should be getting the same love as Cisco in this thread.