Work Attire/Style change

byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
I dress in lose fitting clothes (because of my weight) and tend to not look the best because I can just stay in my office all day but I'm thinking about making a style change. I want to present myself a little better around the office and look more sharp. Being in IT support we tend not to be the best dressed guys around but I kind of want to break out of that stereotype. I want to look good while climbing under a desk to turn a computer on/off again. I'm interested to see what some of you ladies and gents wear to work or have had a style change.
CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If I have things going on, jeans (but nice jeans and a nice shirt). Otherwise, I do pantsuits.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I went from custom fitting suits, to Banana Republic, to H&M, to having hobo hand me downs.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    When I was a consultant I wore nothing but suits. Now I work for an RV manufacturer and were a polo and jeans. I start a new job next Monday working for a software company. I'll be wearing business casual attire there (button down shirt and slacks). My point is: it all depends on the environment you work in.

What do your coworkers wear? What does the company policy say? Or, if you're looking to go rogue and dress up when everyone else is dressed down, good for you! I've found that people will take you more seriously when you take yourself seriously and put some time into your appearance.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Shirt/tie, dress pants/shoes, watch. Today a sweater over-top. Dress good, feel good, work good. Don't have to spend a ton of money to dress well. Custom tailored shirts are nice but not necessary - I don't wear them as the cost is too high. But spend it if you've got it. Tie is not required around these parts and people get away with polos and a much more casual look, but there's people who dress the way I do so I'm not out of place. I wouldn't recommend it if no one dresses this way lol - they'll just think you're an oddball.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am no fashion expert but I think the general idea for men is to wear nice clean pants that fit well. (not baggy and not too long). Also a nice button up shirt, I've been told not to tuck in my shirt by my wife so you may want to consider shirts that look good not tucked in. If you decide to go with a suit the same applies except the tucking in part. A good fitting pair of pants and a suit jacket that fits well (and you can close and button). It doesn't have to be expensive either.

Personally I wear Levi 501 jeans but its all a matter of opinion just go out to a nice clothing store in your area that you are comfortable with.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can still look sharper than jeans and a polo, but have comfortable clothes. Look for dress pants that have those elastic stretch bands built into the waist. They are not that much more expensive than jeans when you get them on sale. Pair them with "no-iron" button-up shirts, also not much more expensive than polos if you get them on sale.

Stay away from any clothes from Target, they are awful. I don't care if it's a pair of damn socks, they suck for clothes.
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I understand that it depends on the environment you're in. I have the freedom to pretty much wear whatever and I don't plan on wearing suits. I'm just trying to steer away from t-shirt and jeans everyday. Going for a more classic/professional look but I'm really interested to see what you guys wear on a daily in your position or career.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Stay away from any clothes from Target, they are awful. I don't care if it's a pair of damn socks, they suck for clothes.

.... I bought some socks from Target... Worst socks I've ever had
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    J Crew. Cheaper version would be banana republic and CK.
    I stopped wearing those brand since our CIO/CISO dont dress up.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Shirt/tie, dress pants/shoes, watch. Today a sweater over-top. Dress good, feel good, work good.

this is me.

Does anyone else who wears a shirt and tie have a problem that the collar irritates your neck?

i do with some shirts, but not others. There is no rhyme or reason to it either. I can wear a cheap or expensive shirts, some bother me, some dont. I can get 2 shirts from the same brand and one will bother me and one will not. It gets pricey trying to figure out what to get, because I have to buy it and wash it and wear it to see if it is going to irritate me.

It is not like an instant thing either, it is like about halfway through the day, and then it feels like it is wearing my neck raw. Same detergent, same dryer sheets, nothing changes there.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, I can't figure it out either. Guess we'll just have to switch to silk shirts.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For the winter I bought 4 or 5 these in different colors and wear them with khakis. So much more comfortable and warmer then dress shirts (live in MN). I got couple dress shirts I mix in there too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01850Q2TE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    For the winter I bought 4 or 5 these in different colors and wear them with khakis. So much more comfortable and warmer then dress shirts (live in MN). I got couple dress shirts I mix in there too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01850Q2TE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you wear that on top of a dress shirt? or just that and a tshirt or whatever?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just dress in slacks and a polo and a pair of nice shoes(not super formal).I don't go with very expensive clothes for work because I never know when I might get dirty or rub up against something that leaves a stain. I try to stick around $20-$30 for a pair of slacks and $12 - $20 for polos. I tuck my shirts in and wear a belt.

For when I'm allowed to wear jeans, I put on Wranglers. I honestly thought I would never wear Wranglers again after I started living on my own, but I saw a commercial for their "U" crotch and decided to try a pair on. I was actually pretty impressed with the relaxed fit ones with the "U" crotch. I can do a full, deep squat without crunching up "the guys". The wranglers also fit nicely within my $20-$30 per pair of pants/slacks budget for work wear that I don't care if they get trashed.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    thomas_ wrote: »
    I just dress in slacks and a polo and a pair of nice shoes(not super formal).I don't go with very expensive clothes for work because I never know when I might get dirty or rub up against something that leaves a stain. I try to stick around $20-$30 for a pair of slacks and $12 - $20 for polos. I tuck my shirts in and wear a belt.

For when I'm allowed to wear jeans, I put on Wranglers. I honestly thought I would never wear Wranglers again after I started living on my own, but I saw a commercial for their "U" crotch and decided to try a pair on. I was actually pretty impressed with the relaxed fit ones with the "U" crotch. I can do a full, deep squat without crunching up "the guys". The wranglers also fit nicely within my $20-$30 per pair of pants/slacks budget for work wear that I don't care if they get trashed.

You also forgot to mention that they make your butt look fantastic!
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think men can look nice (if work allows) in a t-shirt, jeans with a jacket. The jacket doesn't have to be super nice, but it needs to fit right. That way you could throw your jacket on if you need to look more professional or just wear your t-shirt. I guess a nice fitted jacket with about any shirt makes you look more professional. Nice shoes too. They don't have to be expensive, just clean and stylish. IMO baggy clothes on men are fine as long as they aren't too baggy, like especially around the neck or pants that are dragging the ground. Most men I know don't like tight fitting clothes anyway. PM if you want other ideas.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Business casual which is dress pants and button up shirt. On jeans days or days I'm racking stuff nice jeans, nice dress shoes and a polo.

I know it sounds swanky but I usually buy dress clothes from express because they fit my body and don't look sloppy or baggy. Bought a suite from them as well and I was really happy with it (my other suites were from places like men's wear house).

The trick imo is get clothes that fit you and aren't super baggy (makestrel it look sloppy imo) and get stuff you are comfortable in. If you aren't comfortable you won't wear them and when you do you won't feel confident and it will show.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to buy big and tall stuff and I shop at JCPenny's. If you watch for sales you can get some good deals. I like the Van Heusen Shirts & Dress Clothes - JCPenney and the Haggar Pants, Clothing & Shirts for Men - JCPenney
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    you wear that on top of a dress shirt? or just that and a tshirt or whatever?

Just that and a tshirt underneath.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm a jeans and t-shirt type mostly. Add a button down for customer stuff. Times have definitely changed in the tech world. You'd be looked on as not fitting in if you wore slacks where I work. Even at the director level.

Stuffy corporate IT shop is probably a different story though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kinda depends on what you do. If your in DT support/network/servers IMO don't wear the nicest clothes. I have ruined many slacks and tips of dress shoes. I haven't had to wear a tie since mid 2000's and basically refuse to today. My last 2 jobs were jeans and a collared shirt (Untucked). My current is dress slacks with nice button up shirt and jeans on Friday. I am always good with the dockers, button up shirt, non dress shoe.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always followed the misguided mentality of "let your work do the talking and dress however you want". Unfortunately I think there is some real psychology in dressing well and looking sharp. After reading some of the recommendations from this thread I'll be changing my wardrobe to something a little more upmarket and business casual. There is definitely a lack of self-respect and entitlement coming into work dressed like your reading for a lazy sunday afternoon at home.
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Style really is a nuanced thing, but good for you for wanting to improve your appearance. Feeling good about yourself really does go a long way in improving how others perceive you both in confidence and appearance.

Another piece of advice I might offer is that wardrobe changes and style is not built overnight (unless you have the money for it) but acquiring well made clothes that are well taken care of can turn your closet into something you can be proud of overtime.

You mentioned your weight, and that makes things even more difficult and I can't speak too much to my experience with that since I am a slender guy. However, I would suggest paying close attention to how you see other people your size dress that you admire. I do this with television. There are even sites that will show you exactly what actors are wearing on any given episode of a show, its often very expensive but can help replicate a style that you like. I do this with John Oliver (I like his suits.) and also Matt Murdock from the Daredevil series.

Great style is in the details. A nice pair of shoes, well fitting pants (tailored) with a nice belt, and a nice collared shirt can go a long way. Having a black tie that goes with almost anything hanging around the office for emergencies is also a great idea.

There are also other little rules, and like anything style can be learned. Shoes match belt, socks match pants, don't mix-match plaid and stripes, etc. Even the width of your tie can make a huge difference.

Good luck and tell us how you feel when you level-up wardrobe!
    thomas_ wrote: »

I have Wrangler jeans and cargo pants for this very reason
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • 80hr80hr Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aloha shirts and dockers out here . I miss wearing suits
    Have: CISSP,CASP,MBA,ITILV3F,CSM,CEH

2017- NEED PMP
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. Getting some good information.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wear Dockers, belt and dress shirt, to work, but most of my co-workers wear jeans and T-shirt. It's a dirty industrial environment, so most employees tend not to get dressed up.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alias454 wrote: »
    I have to buy big and tall stuff and I shop at JCPenny's. If you watch for sales you can get some good deals. I like the Van Heusen Shirts & Dress Clothes - JCPenney and the Haggar Pants, Clothing & Shirts for Men - JCPenney

I'm a 3XLT and Penney's is about the only place I shop :) Agree on the Van Heusen and Haggar. Their Foundry store brand now has button down shirts as well and are nice.

And yeah their sales are great if you pay attention... just got a pair of Florsheim slippers that were $110 for $35

I did the VH and Haggar when we were business casual. Everyone from our CEO down does jeans and a nice button down shirt, unless we are in front of customers or auditors :) then it is business or business casual depending on the client dress code.

I typically wear Wrangler carpenter jeans, a nice shirt or shoes/boots. Now that I work from home full time, its jeans/shorts, foundry pocket t's and ball shoes
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a schlump and hate dressing up for pretty much anything. My current job requires dressy pants and a button down shirt with a tie. I found great quality pants made by 511 Gear. They look dressy, have an elastic waist band, and are fairly comfortable. For shoes, I got a pair of dressy sneakers from New Balance that are dark.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man I work from home so it is shorts or PJ's no shoes and a nice tight fitting t-shirt to show off my fat belly. NO all kidding aside though I usually wear a polo and jeans even at home just to feel like I am actually at work. When I was a dean I had to wear shirt, tie and dress pants every day all day long even at night and on the weekends. Sometimes I even had to suit up for several weeks. It really was expensive to dress like that on a cheap salary.