Application Support

EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently work as a field technician. All I do is install desktops, laptops, and printers in schools. I've been searching for a more technical experience but keep getting turned down because I don't have technical experience. I've been looking for a help desk position because that's where most people get their start. I have a BS:IT; Comptoa trio, and MCSA:7 and currently working on RHCSA. I want to eventually work with Linux.

I have an opportunity for a 5 month contract for application support at a hospital. They are going to teach us how to use a program and we have to teach it to the staff. The pay is good but I'm not sure if it will advance my career. Can this position lead to anything or should I keep looking for Help Desk jobs? I live in NYC so if anyone knows any companies or opportunists or anything I appreciate it.

Comments

• goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Do some research on the application, see how widely used it is in the industry. I have a friend who does support for a specialized medical application. He's done support for them for a decade and a half, but since that's ALL he has experience with, he's essentially trapped in his career.

Bottom line - Getting experience is good, as long as it can translate to something else. Highly specialized application support training can sometimes be less than useless.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • daristotledaristotle Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it Epic? Epic support can be very wide and if they are willing to get you certified it could lead to more opportunities. There's also a lot of back-end Unix work as well usually.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say with the job you have now you are already a step above help desk. Is there any chance in the school/company you work for that you can get more responsibility?

If I where you I would continue working on systems admin certs (like the Redhat one you mentioned or MCSA in Server 2012R2) keep working to gain experience and when are feel you are ready for the next step start apply for Systems Admin type positions.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Been busy and couldn't respond. I had the interview and the manager told me during this project he will ask me questions and watch me to get an idea of where he can place me. So yes it can lead somewhere. I start in January.
  • revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    daristotle wrote: »
    Is it Epic? Epic support can be very wide and if they are willing to get you certified it could lead to more opportunities. There's also a lot of back-end Unix work as well usually.

^ what this guy said. I'd take the gig because the healthcare experience and the ability to say you worked on documentation and technical training would look nice to go with your other experience.
  • EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea I took the job. The application is called PatientWorks.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! Good luck and learn a lot!

I always liked the idea of supporting something niche like this, no certs just knowledge!