Any Secrets To Traceroute

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
When we do traceroute, is there any method to resolve ip addresses into hostnames?
Can it be done via firewall or other devices?
My company does not have documentation for ip addresses of devices.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Traceroute attempts to resolve the IPs by default. You just need to have reverse entries for them. Its possible to configure a router as a DNS server, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • feralpacketferalpacket Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    There is one great and closely guarded secret of Tracert which involves hacking the internet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM&t=22s
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • lostindaylightlostindaylight Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Iris! Kudos to Nextgenhacker101 for making such a useful video.
    Inspirations like NextGenHacker are why I love security....
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    There is one great and closely guarded secret of Tracert which involves hacking the internet...

Not that "closely guarded", then... icon_wink.gif
    No longer an active member
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

hahahaha genius! icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OMG that's the best video I've seen in a long time icon_lol.gif I can't believe it has 1.5M views
  • marzillomarzillo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This reminds me of a programmer my company hired 20+ years ago. While I was telling him how to login and where things are on the network (Novel) and asked him to view a file from the command prompt. He began to tell me about an advanced DOS command that very few people know about. He interlocked his fingers and bent them out as he stretched his arms forward to crack his knuckles as if he was going to show me the coolest thing ever. Me being in constant learning mode was thinking, wow, this person is going to show me something really cool that I don't know so I leaned forward with excitement for what I was about to see.

As he began to type in a quasi hunt and peck mode he slowly typed in the command "type" followed by the name of the file and struck the enter key with such a force as if to say, "How cool am I". I remember thinking how in the world did this person get past the interview process to get a programming job. He was fired in less than a month.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Damn no wonder I cant acces google, theres 10 people already connected.
  • marzillomarzillo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BTW: That's Novell. Damn autocorrect!
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    You guys wasted 5 mins of my time. I was asking a serious question. The lack of documentation is driving me nuts
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I answered your question. Its done via DNS. Make some records and they will display.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    dppagc wrote: »
    You guys wasted 5 mins of my time. I was asking a serious question. The lack of documentation is driving me nuts

looking just at 2 pages of your forum post, they are all questions with none of them actually contributing anything.....give me, give me, give me.

You wasted my bandwidth.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

Yea, there goes Iristheangel hijacking threads again...

jk icon_wink.gif
    Linux Man page for traceroute looks plenty detailed to me amigo. Don't understand the lack of documentation complaint.

https://linux.die.net/man/8/traceroute

And btw, I take strong exception to Nextgenhacker's video being characterized as a waste of time. It might be the second awesomest internet video ever, exceeded only by the website is down.

We've also all answered many many many questions for you in the past we could say are "wastes of time" such as:
    - Is the CCIE SP the easiest CCIE because it has less videos than the rest on INE?
    - Can I get a CCIE in less than a year by watching a video a day?
    - I really don't like reading. Can I get a CCIE without reading a bunch of docs?
    - I don't understand DR/BDRs (after getting your CCNP)
    - I can't tell if a port is up/down on a switch (after getting your CCNP)
    - Is EUI64 a local or global address? (after getting your CCNP)

At the point that the joke was made, your question was already answered by Networker. There's no hidden secrets of Traceroute on Cisco and it's pretty thoroughly documented. One quick google search for "Cisco Traceroute" and boom:
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Oh Damn, someone call the burn unit, stat! We got a patient over here!
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    Ok, then is there any shortcut to finding where an ip address resides such as using solarwinds?
    I am not complaining about traceroute documentation but my company documentation.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok, then is there any shortcut to finding where an ip address resides such as using solarwinds?
    I am not complaining about traceroute documentation but my company documentation.
    What I think you need to do is the following:
    1: When stating/complaining about something, you need to be clear.
    2: Communicate. I bet you're struggling at work due to this. This also ties in with #1.
    3: Don't bash people on here. We are a community that is willing to help. If you're frustrated with work, tell someone at work.
    4: Research. It's not that hard. Apparently you have a hard time reading/understanding - I am not bashing you on this. However, research can be done without reading documentation. Although, if you want to be in IT, you're going to have to read documents and be able to understand them.

In regards to Solarwinds, I believe there is. But what's your goal in this scenario? Depending on how you have your dashboard setup, you can search for a particular IP. Or if something is alerting you on the screen, you should be able to click that device and get the IP.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S