Passed my GSEC! (Going to pay it forward...)

CortexprimeCortexprime Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Spent the 90's Sys Admin-ing various dot-coms. After the bust I took the first job around...help desk at a mid-level financial institution. I managed to get an InfoSec position about 8 years ago. I had hoped it was because they saw potential In the end I realized the department hired me because I was cheap and internal. Spent 7.5 years learning all I could on NetSec, attended DefCon, BH, watched any Security Tube video I could find... Earned my CEH (it was paid for), CCNA, CCNA:SEC, ITIL,...

Last year I bailed when the place hired Sec Engineers with no experience and paid 30k more than I was making. Landed at a major media company and loving it. They offered me whatever SANS course I wanted and I picked GSEC.

Now, I know its an entry-level cert, but its a beast of a course. That, and I really wanted to challenge myself on the basics that we tend to forget. (packet breakdown, OS vulnerabilities, etc...) Now that its out of the way, I'm working on a promotion and a CISSP.

So here's where I pay it forward... I have 2 GSEC practice exams. They expire near mid-Feb. If anyone can use one, let me know!

Thanks all!

Comments

• cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not here to ask for the exam, just wanted to say congrats!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Grats on the pass!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I don't have the course materials (yet) and won't be able to sit the exam anytime soon but the practice exams would be helpful to gauge the SANS exams. I've never sat one. I don't want to waste this, but if you don't find another taker I'll accept. Just PM me whatever you need.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice work! Good luck with the CISSP!
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!! if you can pass one practice exam over, I'm challenging it 2017
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • yomistayomista Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Cortexprime,

Congrats on the pass. It was very brave of you to take the exams without attempting the practise exams.
    I am in the midst of studying for my GCED took live course in Sans Singapore Nov 2016

. If you don't mind, can I have 1 ?

Many thanks.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Hi Cortex,

I plan on paying for SANS out of pocket in 2017, but I'm not sure where I stand as far as which course to take. I'm hoping this exam will evaluate my skills to see which course I will take. Thanks for what your doing

xxkaliboyx
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • CortexprimeCortexprime Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!!! I wish I had more exams to give. Going to throw the names on notepad and have my kids pick randomly. Best of luck to those who challenge or take the exam!
  • CortexprimeCortexprime Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...aaannnnnnd after years of lurking, I never actually tried to message anyone on this board, and it seems I can't. My options are set to receive messages from forum members, so please message me directly.

hoping this works....
  • yomistayomista Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Done, please check PM :)
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...aaannnnnnd after years of lurking, I never actually tried to message anyone on this board, and it seems I can't. My options are set to receive messages from forum members, so please message me directly.

hoping this works....

no opption to message you. =(
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • flkflk Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Cortex,

Congrats and good luck on CISSP.

I am currently studying on both GSEC and CISSP, work required and targeting Feb for the exam. I would appreciate prep exam and any other resource share you may have.

Thank you,
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome work! congrats!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    yomista wrote: »
    Done, please check PM :)

Lurkers come out the wood works.........da heck lol
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • IQ16IQ16 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Every one,

Last year, I have passed CCNA security and compTIA security + certifications and I m planning to do "GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC)".

I believe this exam is more difficult than others vendor certifications, Can any one tell me how do I start preparation.??

Any Book recommendations, any essential materials and sites.???

Please share and I would be highly appreciated..:)

Regards,
    IQ
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just to make sure, are you familiar with GIAC exams? They are north of $1k and directly correspond to SANS classes. If you do not take the class you are at a big disadvantage as there's no authoritative source for prep. Not saying it's not doable, just difficult.
  • james1024james1024 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!!
    Not sure if you still have any of the GSEC exams, but I would love one please !
  • jrisbrookjrisbrook Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Cortexprime how are you? Im reaching ot because I'm new to deciding to actually pursue I.T as more then a hobby and I was looking for abit of advice. I passed Net+ and Im currently studying for sec+ and ccna r+s. After I pass the sec+ I was going to start sending out resume's. What do you suggest I do to get my foot in the door of Info sec. Should I just start at help desk and hope to move around or is there some sort of basic entry level log monitoring I could do in security? Any words would help, thanks.
    Currently working on : BS C.S.I.A - WGU

Just trying to be better today, than I was yesterday...
  • CIPHERSTONECIPHERSTONE Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great job!! GSEC covers a lot of material. It's no slouch.
  • IQ16IQ16 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Cyberguypr,

Hope you are doing good. Yes, I went through GIAC (GSEC) process and contents, I have passed (CCNA R&S,CCNP Route, CCNA Security & Security+) certifications.

I believe, this certification is difficult than others but more interesting

I just want to know how do I get start Preparation ? Please share your reviews.

Regards,
    IQ