Home lab help

stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
I'm planning to set up a quick home lab in my office.

Router: 1x 1721
Switch: 1x 2950c

My only issue is connecting my current Netgear wireless router to the Cisco router. The Cisco router is about 60ft down the hall from closet that has the Netgear router, NAS, and Comcast modem. See topo attached - excuse the poor quality.

I really don't want to run a 60ft network cable down the the hall since we have toddlers that frequent the area, nor do I want to drill holes in the drywall and route the cable through the ceiling.

Should I get a wireless range extender, w/ built in Ethernet ports, plug it in the electrical outlet next to the Cisco router, and run a short network cable from the extender to the Cisco router? I don't even know if this will even be reliable.

I appreciate any suggestions as I may be overthinking this (or underthinking this).
Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If your set on having your lab in the office hooked up to your home network I would probably just have your cable/internet company come out, run that through the walls, and set up an Ethernet outlet in your office. Assuming it isn't super cheap but if your planning on using it for awhile I would do it.

I like having a hardwired connection in my office anyways.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what is the speed of the ethernet interfaces on the 1721?
    the builtin interface is 10/100. So, what is the other interface that your going to use?
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    You could get a WAP, say a Netgear WG-602, set it up as a Client, have it 'WiFi' to your Netgear Router, and plug your 1721 into that.
    No longer an active member
  • wavebenderwavebender Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have mains power socket near your ISP router and your home lab? I'm guessing answer is yes. Try powerline adaptors. Netgear Powerline 500 (XAVB5221) is cheap and it works quite OK.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you connecting your gear to the network so you can access it away from home?
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wavebender wrote: »
    Do you have mains power socket near your ISP router and your home lab? I'm guessing answer is yes. Try powerline adaptors. Netgear Powerline 500 (XAVB5221) is cheap and it works quite OK.

x1 great suggestion. Cheap and does the job well!