Need a mentor

n4pst3rn4pst3r Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I've been planning to pass some certifications since last year 2015 icon_sad.gif, but I could not get to the goal because of school, jobs and personal life icon_exclaim.gif.

Now I had this job as level 1 help desk(tech support), and I work 40 hours a week(6AM to 6PM) with 2hours break at mid day.

I need a coach or mentor to guide or help me through my certifications goals for 2017, to help me stay focused and watches on my evolution.

I know level 1 help desk is the entry level for most ITs, and I want to rapidly improve my technical skills and improve my career.

Best regards
Certification Goals 2017
LPIC-1
CCNA-RS
ITILv3 2011-F

Comments

• n4pst3rn4pst3r Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

My time-zone is GMT+1

Yeah...I know I have some extra and personal commitment to make, but I face most difficulty with:
    1- Time management, sometimes I get back from work very late.
    2- Evolution tracking, I feel like i'm too slow at times
    3- Night work (after works), I can't yet manage to stay up late at night to study...too hard, I need some tips
    Certification Goals 2017
    LPIC-1
    CCNA-RS
    ITILv3 2011-F
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "3- Night work (after works), I can't yet manage to stay up late at night to study...too hard, I need some tips"

How about using some of that 2 hours break in the middle of the day?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Lunchtime is a perfect time to study. Or wake up early to squeeze some time in.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    n4pst3r wrote: »
    Hi

My time-zone is GMT+1

Yeah...I know I have some extra and personal commitment to make, but I face most difficulty with:
    1- Time management, sometimes I get back from work very late.
    2- Evolution tracking, I feel like i'm too slow at times
    3- Night work (after works), I can't yet manage to stay up late at night to study...too hard, I need some tips

1- Think about how bad you want to improve; its all about motivation to succeed and that requires a lot of mental focus.
    2- Create a study plan for each certification. Start with 1, set a goal for about a month or two and study a few topics each day.
    3- Lots of caffeine!!!! Non working hours is when the magic happens, reading white papers, reviews, and deep diving into technical books or videos.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    so if I am reading this right... 40 hours =4 days @ 6a-6p with 2 hour break? Then what are you doing the other 3 days? If you want it bad enough, you can find time to study. Whether its days off, before work, after work, on lunch etc.. If you dont have any certs, the A+, Net +, Sec+ would be the logical starting point
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Agree with others here. Seems like a motivation issue to me. If you are working only 4 days a week, spend 1 entire day doing studying and then you still get a week-end? Also those 2 hours during lunch spend 1 for studying.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We all work full time and each month with projects we have to work late or overtime.

A great book you should check into is called Mastery. It it not technical it is motivational book. It is a mentor you can take with you. It explains how to go about achieving your goals. Especially the attitude you need to have in order to get ahead.

Here you have 9 mentors to learn from including Einstein, Darwin, and Da Vinci

Each one of us has within us the potential to be a Master. Learn the secrets of the field you have chosen, submit to a rigorous apprenticeship, absorb the hidden knowledge possessed by those with years of experience, surge past competitors to surpass them in brilliance, and explode established patterns from within. Study the behaviors of Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Leonardo da Vinci and the nine contemporary Masters interviewed for this book

https://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Robert-Greene/dp/0670024961/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1483121036&sr=8-1
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX