Failed Security+ Study Help

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
Soo I've been studying for the test since this summer. I've read Darril Gibson's book and watched Professor Messer's videos on youtube but I still completely bombed the test. I think I did ok on the multiple choice, but those simulation/performance based questions are what got me. I read that Darril Gibson's materials helped. I just want to make sure that it was the Practice Test questions that I should purchase to help with studying...

btw...
I really don't know how people studied for two weeks and passed.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    One factor that most new cert-seekers don't consider is "How much do I already know about the topics covered by this certification?" If someone who has worked for many years in a variety of areas of Information Security, it is likely they will need to study much less for the Security+ than someone who is relatively new to the field(s) of InfoSec.

Another thing that is very difficult for all cert-seekers to do is to self-judge if they really understand each topic they are studying. It is easy to fool yourself into believing you know a topic by only reading very simple explanations, or by repeatedly taking and passing practice exams. I prepare for exams my making sure that can give a 60-second speech on each topic. You really need to know a lot about a topic to be able to talk about it for a full minute, and you quickly discover what you don't really understand.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a lot of free resources out there that can help you prepare. Even if you're new to IT, most of this exam is conceptual. I'll admit - some of the simulation questions took me by surprise but after I skipped them and went back later before submitting my answers, I was able to take more time to think through them. If you've studied for 6 months, I have to consider how much time you put into your studies. How much time inbetween sessions. Like a lot of subjects, if you don't keep with it you could lose it. Professor Messer's study guide/notes were awesome and can be used for more than just that exam too, because the content is so well put together and condensed. Easily 100 pages of notes squeezed into ~40. Try using more resources and learning methods if you felt like you've done all you can. Reading & watching videos help a lot of folks who retain the subject matter more easily, but others may have to use flash-cards or apps on their phones to keep more regular with the retention efforts. Don't give up, just hit it harder every-time you feel knocked down.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Know your ports and how to do the simulations. Actually know the material, because it won't work if you just memorize it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Linking your other post here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/124275-security-failed-study-help.html
    to help those reviewing this post looking for help, suggestions.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    I have some study materials I can send you if you need some stuff. But you cannot memorize the questions without having an understanding of why they are being answered in the way they are. You also have to ensure you read the questions, as many have more than one correct answer but the questions kind of directs to the "more" right choice. The Darrill Gibson Premium Content helped me alot I feel, along with examcompass.net, and a few other things.