Windows PC Hangs when swapping game applications

mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

So! I am having an issue with loading and require assistance in diagnosing the problem. Based on my own knowledge, I am theorizing it either has something to do with my Reg files, driver issue, or software issue for the hard drive.

Setup
i7-4790k
16GB RAM
1TB HDD (Storage)
128 SSD (Boot)
960GTX 4GB
Windows 10 Pro

The Symptoms
Extremely slow, abnormal load times when launching games from the HDD. (Average 2-5 minutes to load a game)
Extremely slow when swapping between screens. (Average 1-2 full minutes to change screens)
All game settings are on high settings, however I have no degradation to the performance of the game once its loaded.

Recent Changes
Recently installed new SSD and loaded Windows 10 Pro with a clean install.
Installed all applications (games and software) onto manually created folders on my HDD.
Updated motherboard drivers, all windows drivers, geforce graphics drivers
Scanned PC for viruses
Performed a Windows Reg Scan
Performed a clndsk
Performed a defrag
Performed a CCleaner Scan
Reinstalled all the Games

Before this when I was running everything on the HDD only I had fine load times, and had no issues.
The issue does not occur when changing screens between browsers, nor does it effect applications such as office.
Only the games.

Any information to narrow down my troubleshooting direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "Recently installed new SSD and loaded Windows 10 Pro with a clean install"

Sometimes its the small things like: Did you plug the new SSD into the SATA2 port instead of the SATA3 port? ect...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have no problems with the OS load however and I would expect to see that with misconfigured cabling.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a similar setup
    4770k, 16 GB RAM, 960GTX 4GB, but only SSD's on my system :D

Check the task manager, see if there are any unusual numbers (example HDD hitting 100%)
    Checked, no spikes, everything looks good, no weird processes or anything. If I would say how it "feels" is as if the OS is having a hard time finding the files for the applications. That's why I was thinking registry, but the reg tools I used wont fix this issue. I'm thinking, but hoping not. I might just have to reinstall the OS.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No spikes during normal operations only or even when loading the games?
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do any of these games use cloud services?

Does EVERY GAME you have installed on your computer have this same issue, or is this isolated to a few games?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    wd40 "No spikes during normal operations only or even when loading the games?"

A) No spikes during load and during normal operation.
    Its every game. I tried moving one of the more load intensive ones to the C drive on the SSD, but that still didn't fix the issue.
    Note* I have not tested games that use the Steam client.
    Network is fine, did a speed test and im hitting around 80mbps download and 7 up.
    My VM software is probably heavier than the games and it is running fine as well.

Question: Could of the location I placed them in on the HDD (E drive) mess up the boot?
    I created a "programs" folder in the E drive and organized them in a child folder under that called "games"
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try this:
    How to Stop Windows 10’s Game DVR From Slowing Down Your PC Gameplay

The “Game DVR” feature is the background service associated with the Game Bar. Even if you don’t see the the Game Bar when you launch a game, it may be slowing down your PC gameplay. If you’re having issues with PC gaming performance on Windows 10, you should check the Game DVR settings and ensure they aren’t interfering.

Are you turning your PC off everyday, or do you leave it on overnight?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything weird reported in Event Viewer?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S