Associates of Information systems at local community college.

RobbybrarRobbybrar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys. I am a 31-year-old currently working as a pharmacy technician. I am looking for a career change. I have always been good with computers and tech stuff. My local community college offers transferable associates of information systems and many other networkings certs. Should I take the college route and also get certs along the way.

Comments

• mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Robbybrar
    If you are looking to break into IT and do not have the work experience then you should definitely earn some certification early next year. At the beginning of your career, you may need to take a low paying IT job to get your foot in the door and once you get in and solidify your position, you should do as much formal education as possible while taking breaks to raise yourself to the next level.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An Associates will be fine. Try and figure out what you're interest are in terms of Networking, Auditing, Risk Management, Programming, Cloud Computing,etc and move from there.
  • BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Yes, the two year degree + certifications should be your foot in the door. Heck, with just certifications, you can get started in IT before that at entry level.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You may check with the community college and see if they have any help desk positions open. If you get a job there, usually you will get some sort of tuition discount.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @OP - What I have found community colleges are like any other institution, some are viewed as really good schools and others not so much. It really depends on the community college, but overall I think it's a brilliant idea to get the association degree, here is why.

Usually the instructors are more approachable from my experience

The cost is generally much lower. Potentially no student loans is soooooooo beautiful

Sometimes the community college has a programs set up with other local universities. These programs allow you to attend your first two years at the community college and then transition to the university and finish up your bachelors. Sometimes there is a time limit, but if you stay motivated you could do both. This way you can get your associates and have something to show for it, and then if you get time etc... move into the 4 year program.

If the community college provides certifications that align with the program I would most certainly consider taking them.