Security+ Recert

medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
The last time I recertified my Sec+ was when I recertified my CCNA Security cert. I just uploaded the CCNA Security cert to CompTIA and they gave me the 50 CEUs. Done.

I just recertified my CCNA Security again today by passing the 210-260 exam and logged in to CompTIA for the first time since recertifying and I see they now only give 25 CEUs for the CCNA Sec.

I find CompTIA's CEU program to be impossible to complete due to the max limits they put on each category. I go to the SecureWorld Expo every year, 12 CEUs a year right there, but CompTIA will only give me 10 for the whole 3 years. I could also attend a 1 hour webinar every month, again another 36 hours, but also again, capped at 10. 3 a year for work experience, but I already missed submitting last year's, so that would be 6 for me.

CompTIA really feels that a security conference a year plus a webinar a month is not enough to recertify an entry level cert?

I'm not in the position to take more college classes and I'm not about to right a book anytime soon. Their CEU program stinks.

I really regret switching from the good for life to the ce program. I thought it would keep my A+, Net+, and Sec+ relevant. Maybe it's time to cut ties with CompTIA and let them expire.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Write to them..couldn't hurt
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did last time. They simply told me my understanding of the CEU program was correct.

The CEU idea is fine, just don't put all the caps on each category. I can see 10 a year from conferences, but not 10 for the whole 3 year cycle. That makes no sense to me.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, that does bite.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    *** UPDATE ***

I just found out that CBT Nuggets video training courses are pre-approved by CompTIA for CEUs on a 1 CEU per hour basis. Watching the current Security+ CBT Nuggets video series will give me 17 CEUs. That will work!

https://blog.cbtnuggets.com/2015/06/continuing-education-credits-for-comptia/
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Did you contact Comptia about using cbt nuggets? What did they say?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I have not contacted CompTIA. At this point I am taking CBT Nuggets's word for it. See their blog I linked in my previous post.
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    medic wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to cut ties with CompTIA and let them expire.

That's what I plan to do. I'm not paying their annual fees. The certs are still on my resume, regardless.
    medic wrote: »
    *** UPDATE ***

I just found out that CBT Nuggets video training courses are pre-approved by CompTIA for CEUs on a 1 CEU per hour basis. Watching the current Security+ CBT Nuggets video series will give me 17 CEUs. That will work!

https://blog.cbtnuggets.com/2015/06/continuing-education-credits-for-comptia/

Just wanted to update my update. I can confirm that CBT Nuggets videos are accepted for CEUs. I was able to get the last 15 CEUs I needed by submitting my certificate of completion for the CBT Nuggets Security+ SY0-401 course. (The course is worth 17 but I only needed the 15.) I am now recertified until May 2020.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Maybe it's time to cut ties with CompTIA and let them expire.

I did. If I need it for a job later on, I'll get it. I've already moved to higher level certs as well as more experience. At this point, it's just a waste of time and money to keep it renewed.

I do listen to podcasts, attend training, obtain higher level certs, etc.. It's part of the career. You stay informed about the field. I just can't justify their CE program. I get they need to in order to keep their DOD standard, but it's just not a valuable cert once you move past it.
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Has to be them trying to get money flowing their way, I don't see why this "whatever" is acceptable, but this "whatever" isn't.
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Their updated CEU program is ridiculous in my opinion. I understand their reasoning for it but I think they give too little credit for CEUs in certain categories. I think each year of work experience should count for more than it does. The maximum you can earn in a 3 year cycle for work experience is 3 per year, or 9 total. That's not even 20% of what's needed to renew at the Security+ level. Work experience should count for at least half of your CEU requirements since ultimately that's what the certifications are supposed to be preparing you for. I'm not against having to renew; I just think their requirements are a bit "out there"
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
    I'm not opposed to CEU programs. I would rather get CEUs than have to take the exam every 3 years. I just think they need to relax the caps on each category.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree the CEU program is ridiculous too, but I went ahead & started collecting my CEU's and have uploaded about 6-7hrs so far. I have only paid the $50 for 1yr, so I have another 2.5yrs & $100 to go till my Sec+ expires. I don't see how I can gain enough hours to hit the 50hrs mark, but I plan on taking the CSA+ or CASP before it expires.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think the only benefit to CompTIA's CEU program is that you only have to worry about the highest level CE cert you have. So if you have A+ce, Net+ce, and Security+ce, you only have to track the Security+. In addition, CompTIA has not put a cap on the amount of training hours you can use for each cert. So if you need to renew Security+ce, you can do 50 hours of training within 3 years.

It's a pain, and it sucks that I have to do this with my Security+ now, but it's a job requirement, and my company pays for it... for now.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College