Stanly - VMware Optimize and Scale [V6.0] - January 2017

teslatesla Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Got the email asking me to pay up for the course this afternoon. Looking forward to the class. I can't find much info on the text - is it a coursepack? Was hoping to find it locally (or used) to save on shipping. If you took the class this semester and bought the book, was it worthwhile/necessary?

Comments

• shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Hi tesla,

I am in the same class and got the email too.. I was also wondering about the text book if it's required for the course or optional.

anyone?
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The textbook comes in two versions--hard copy & e-book. There are a lot of exam topics covered in the textbook, but it is not available outside our bookstore.
  • teslatesla Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My issue with the eBooks is the DRM. It's basically throwing money in the garbage as the book can't be referenced after the class is complete. If you offered the eBook as a PDF I would happily buy it. $40 shipping to Canada for the hard copy is highway robbery.
  • KeepAliveKeepAlive Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got the email too... I sent a question to Stanly asking if this is for VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6.5]
  • teslatesla Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure it's [V6.0], as 6.5 just GAed in the last few weeks.
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    I am still confused about the text book. Is it required for the course or optional?
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tesla wrote: »
    My issue with the eBooks is the DRM. It's basically throwing money in the garbage as the book can't be referenced after the class is complete. If you offered the eBook as a PDF I would happily buy it. $40 shipping to Canada for the hard copy is highway robbery.
    The book is VMware IP, and is only distributed to class attendees, hence why it's not offered as a PDF.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • KeepAliveKeepAlive Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tesla wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's [V6.0], as 6.5 just GAed in the last few weeks.

Yep, Stanly just confirmed it's 6.0.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    scott28tt wrote: »
    The book is VMware IP, and is only distributed to class attendees, hence why it's not offered as a PDF.

You can print it to PDF for private use which is acceptable per the agreement.
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    shezy77 wrote: »
    I am still confused about the text book. Is it required for the course or optional?
    It is optional but recommended.

I would spend the money on buying the Mastering VMWare... book for the version you are studying as the book for the course is too lightweight for passing the official VMWare exam, but is fine for the level the course is pitched at.
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a different e-Book and hard copy book for the Optimize & Scale class. The textbooks are required for the course.
    KeepAlive wrote: »
    I got the email too... I sent a question to Stanly asking if this is for VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6.5]