Options

Just passed Security+, should I go to SSCP ?

Osa_ahlawyOsa_ahlawy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I just passed the security+ exam. I am thinking about pursuing the SSCP directly because of the overlap between the two exams.
I just wanted to ask, which study guide should I use ? I used Darril Gibson's for the Security+ exam. Should I do the same for the SSCP ? or go for the official study guide ?

I have two years of experience in IT. But not in security field, will I be eligible for the SSCP ? or I will get the associate status ? Is the associate status worth my while ?

cheers
Osama

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are a number of threads regarding SSCP study materials already. Just do a search on this site for SSCP. You can also search on my user name to see what I've posted about it.

Darril Gibson's All-in-One is a good start. I would recommend following that up with a CASP study guide. Make sure to download the exam objectives from ISC2, and then build your study plan around that. You need to know something about every part of their exam objectives.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Osama, I am planning on doing what you're planning. I'm hoping to pass my Security+ by the end of the year and start my SSCP studying in January. I'm thinking of Darril Gibson's AIG and the official CBK as my study materials.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Darril Gibson book along with the end of Chapter and included practice tests were good enough.
    As far as being eligible, just take a look at any of the domains. If you have at least 1 yr experience performing anything in those areas, you should be good to go.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would but I would do it if either A) you need it to advance in your career, or B) At some point down the road you intend on sitting for the CISSP. Just to get a feel for the way ISC2 words their exams. I don't think it would hurt sitting for it, but if you are just trying to collect another certification I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    pizzafiascopizzafiasco Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't really believe there is much value in getting the SSCP if you already have the Security+. The only value I can possibly think of is so you can get acquainted with (ISC)2's unfortunate way of wording questions. Outside of that I think the CEH may be of more value to you but that's just my $0.02.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No. Redundant.
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would start studying for either CompTIA CSA+ or CASP. No point in wasting your time on SSCP since it is considered to be on the same level as Security+.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The rule of thumb typically is to have One security cert, one OS cert and a specialty cert to round yourself off.