Passed CEHv9

Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
Did the home proctored exam. The process wasn't as bad as others had made it out to be.

Used -
- Oriyano book and the 5 practice exams it came with.
- CBT Nuggets - Keith Barker (HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS COURSE)
- Transcender practice exams
- CEHv9 IPhone App.

None of the questions on the practice exams were on the exam.

Best advice:
Know nmap really well.
Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! :)

I know I over studied and expected it to be a lot harder than it was.

Update your sig!
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    None of the questions on the practice exams were on the exam.

Of course, Congratulations! You're knocking out so many certs that I am just starting to work on. Trying to kill things with all that overlap to also help build a resume and solidify the knowledge. It's been good to read your reviews. I find this one short, is that because it was so straightforward and not too difficult? I've heard it's mostly theory, is that right? Also... If the questions on the practice exam were not on the exam, does that mean the practice exams weren't worth going through? I'm still covering the material at this point, I haven't started any of the practice exams.

Lastly, what was your main resource for nmap, just playing with it?
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! what a great way to start off 2017.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Yea, this certification is a glorified security + exam. So if you study for the security + and spend a few days going over outdated security oriented applications, you'll do just fine. I would pick this cert over the sec+ but it's very fundamental, and yes, theory based.

No, the practice exams are essential. I merely stated they weren't on the exam for anyone wanting to find a test ****. The practice exams help concrete the logic.

I used nmap with Kali, but zenmap is the GUI of nmap. I'd probably just stick with zenmap but you have to pay attention to the commands that populate beneath your inputs.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks again Mr. B3an,

One last note... Did you see a lot of overlap between the CSA+ and CeH?
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    Yes, but CSA+ was more technical. I would rate CEH 5/10 as far as technical questions are concerned. I would rate the CSA+ around 8/10.

In the CSA, you're actually analyzing firewall logs and modifying firewall settings, and reviewing pcaps. But the CSA doesn't cover hacking methodologies. It's more defensive oriented - hence the name.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, great way to start the year
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! What's next on your journey C|HFI?
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have they put the prices up for this?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Congrats!! What's next on your journey C|HFI?

Wouldn't mind that one in the near future. Right now, I am going to focus on CCNA - Security.

OSCP is the main course meal.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • securemotusecuremotu Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□