MS Vista Beta Exam

Hey, just a query, my MCP friends got there promotional Beta Exam for 71-620 - AKA Vista as they are just having there 3 exam passed for MCP cert. How about us, MCSE/A guys, Microsoft should give this exam to the MCSE guys I think. What is the selection process of microsoft for giving beta exam?????

just a query

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There is a good chance that an exam like this, on Vista, would be allowed to qualify for your desktop OS test in the MCSE track, the same way they did for XP back in the MCSE 2000 days. We'll just have to wait and see, once Vista and the test(s) are formally launched.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    There is a promotional beta code doing the rounds - I thought it was in a posting on certcities.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I'm not ready for Vista exams yet..... Still trying to finnish my MCSE 2000 track, then upgrade to 2003... icon_cry.gif
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    The question that I ask is not yet answered guys....cause they recieved the e-mail from microsoft saying that they can take the Beta Exam for free just put the promotional code in prometric account....
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Q. How can I register for a beta exam?

A. To ensure that candidates taking beta versions of Microsoft Certification exams represent the appropriate candidate population, the MCP program now offers beta exams to selected qualified candidates by invitation only. Invitations are sent by e-mail to qualified candidates who subscribe to the MCP NewsFlash. The invitation will provide you with a promotional code that will allow you to register for the specific beta exam. Please provide the code to Pearson VUE and Prometric when you register. Find out more about the beta exam invitation process.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would take that test if I had time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'd love to take the Vista beta exam as well, would be nice to get a headstart for writing practice questions and exams.
    Q. How can I register for a beta exam?

A. ... the MCP program now offers beta exams to selected qualified candidates by invitation only....

From personal experience and from several former coworkers, the following seems to increase your chances of getting invited:
    - pass Microsoft exams regularly (e.g. complete mcsa or mcse),
    - work at a medium to large company where you apply the topics

Since more and more people are becoming certified, the chance of getting invited is becoming smaller. They only need a certain amount of testers, and they will pick the most appropriate once if possible.

Once you are 'on the list', make sure you actually provide feedback on the questions when you take a beta exam. My last MS beta was an Exchange 2000 exam. I had this very loud keyboard, and someone next to me was obviously distracted when I started typing complete sentences... so I ended up submitting almost nothing and haven't been invited since. Also, do prepare for a beta exam, your comments will be considered a lot more valuable if you know the topic.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Webmaster wrote:
    Once you are 'on the list', make sure you actually provide feedback on the questions when you take a beta exam. My last MS beta was an Exchange 2000 exam. I had this very loud keyboard, and someone next to me was obviously distracted when I started typing complete sentences... so I ended up submitting almost nothing and haven't been invited since. Also, do prepare for a beta exam, your comments will be considered a lot more valuable if you know the topic.

I would imagine your chances also increase if you do the feedback surveys at the end of the exam. (Says the guy who always clicks past them in frustration, just wanting to get to the final score. icon_cool.gif ) And those follow-up surveys you get in your e-mail asking what you thought of the exam. The same probably goes if you're a Microsoft partner, I'm sure there's a lot more invites floating out for people registered as an "official" MCP for a Microsoft partner company.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    thanks....Eventhough I want to get this Vista Beta version, I am not lucky to be selected by MS so, Ill just continue my upgrade and Messaging
  • eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    I got a personal mail from MS regarding this Beta exam.
    I'm going to take it on Monday 13 Nov. (the last day available).
    I think the reason I got in is because I provided quit some feedback on a survey that was mailed to me regarding the 70-219 exam that I passed recently.
    (Got the mail for the beta the next day).
    I'll let you all know how it went.
    The thing I really don't like is that there is No book regarding Vista and you have to look/search for all info on the web.
    I don't mind doing this as an additional resource but as only it sucks…

Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
    eastp, wow!!!!! You're one of the lucky guy.....I wish you luck man....

Let us know how easy or hard is it?...Good Luck
    Slowhand wrote:
    I would imagine your chances also increase if you do the feedback surveys at the end of the exam. (Says the guy who always clicks past them in frustration, just wanting to get to the final score. icon_cool.gif ) And those follow-up surveys you get in your e-mail asking what you thought of the exam. The same probably goes if you're a Microsoft partner, I'm sure there's a lot more invites floating out for people registered as an "official" MCP for a Microsoft partner company.
    Yes, all of those would certainly make sense. I guess it comes down to being an 'active' MCP.

Good luck eastp! icon_mrgreen.gif
    THX...
    Slowhand wrote:

I allways click passed the survey at the end of an exam as well.
    Since I can't wait to see if I have passed or not.
    I must add that the company I work for is an MS gold partner.

I hoop I can pass this one, this way I'll have the cert before most people. The prob is that I only have a few days to study and on thursday there is a BIG MS event that I need/want to attent with a Party and all icon_lol.gif , http://www.readyforanewday.be/
    (all regarding Vista, Exchange 2007 and Bill is going to be there as well)
    so I'm going to be there from 8 am untill late night...
    I'll keep you all posted

Kind regards
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    Hi all

I recently also got invited to take the exam, and i took it today i was given 4 hours to do the exam icon_eek.gif , but finished it only just over an hour.

The funny thing was i was expecting to see my result at the end when it popped up with "thank you - you will need to wait for beta period to end, and you should receive your results about 8 weeks after the beta period"

So it looks like i have a lot of waiting to do to find out if i have passed or not, which would be great to pass it.

dont think i had a single question saying "you are the administrator off" icon_lol.gif

I know the feeling about only having a few days to study for it, i got the e-mail from them late last month, so i've quickley gone through different ms resources and practiced with the os so hopefully i did enough.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    Thats nice eastp, hope you passed today

For what company are you working exactly ?
    If you don't want to say it here, maybe a PM ?
    I'm also from .be
    eastp wrote:
    I work for is an MS gold partner.

Ok.
    Update it appears that my company is just a partner (no longer Gold but they are working on becoming Gold again).

Anyway the MS event was very nice...
    Followed some nice presentations regarding Vista en stuff...
    And possible I came as close to Bill as possible (was sitting in front of him about 20 feet away when he was giving his vision statement)
    Today I toke the 70-620 completed it in a bit less then one hour.
    Didn't get a score (as mentioned before you have to wait for aprox 8 weeks).
    So can’t wait to get the results…

@ Opi see PM.
    Kind regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    So Bill is actually on this tour?!?! I just got my confirmation for regiatration for the "A New Day" Vista launch event... looking forward to it!
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
    mikey_b wrote:
    So Bill is actually on this tour?!?! I just got my confirmation for regiatration for the "A New Day" Vista launch event... looking forward to it!

Yes,

He was the closing speaker...
    Multitasking:
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Vista & Office 2007 look very close to OSX
    garv221 wrote:
    Vista & Office 2007 look very close to OSX
    Several others here at TE and in articles on the web say the same, and well, I guess it's true. But, the same has been said since Mac OS and Windows existed. A lot of the similarities have to do with the latest graphics design styles and the effects that become possible through the more powerful CPUs and video cards. It's pretty hard to create a 'general' GUI with modern style graphics that doesn't look like OSX or Vista.. or XP, or a Linux gui. I like the new MS GUIs, but it does feel a bit less 'professional' and more like a toy... like a mac icon_lol.gif