Failed 1z0-061

JohnGrubJohnGrub Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
Just to share my experience of the SQL Fundamentals Oracle 12c exam.

1. My background prior the exam : I was not a layman in SQL an I knew how to write queries (group by, Having, inner joins, ...) for a basic CRUD application

2. I studied with the official study guide : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0071820280/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0/252-0770908-3752017?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DZNMSQN5CSGJ0Q4PWHBE

After the exam, I would not recommend it for two reasons :

- it gives theoritical knowledge as if you are already prepared for the exam. Don't expect it to go into appropriate details. Make sure you study the exam objectives YOURSELF then with at least two other books (including that one). You need to be an expert in the theoritical knowledge required for the exam and dont expect the book to teach you that (remember my background)

- DO NOT CONSIDER THE "Self Test assessment" of the book as good practice. Find some other ressources ...maybe Kaplan's tests will do but the exams qustions where NOTHING compared with the "Self test assessment". A LOT IS ASKED about basic accounting computations such as computing taxes ; compute balance ; etc ... so find some reliable practice tests that will prepare you to that

3. Find some reliable practice test to prepare you to the complexity of the exams. My guess is you should be able to answer the 75 questions is 105 mins (leaving you 15 minutes fo review).... Exams questions are not tricky BUT require brain "stamina" and preparation to their complexity ..brief FIND A GOOD Realiable practice test.

I hope those who passed can suggest some good theoritcal and practical ressources.

Conclusion : I failed with 55% (passing score is 65%). Even if you know SQL and use it all the time, you still need to SERIOUSLY prepare for that exam as the way you use SQL isnt necessarily what they will test on the exam.. (Pfff I though I'd go for OCA SQL developper...now I know I'm not even close to SQL Fundamentals ...icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif)

Comments

• lovejoilovejoi Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How is your status now. Did you try one more time? Why you choose 1z0-061 and not 1z0-051 .I aslo now preparing but i preparing for 1z0-051.
  • JohnGrubJohnGrub Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I took it last december and I passed this time.
    OCA by Sybex book and Transcender was the winning combination for me.

Why did I chose 1Z0-061
    Reson 1: Less topics than 1Z0-051. This increase the chance or "winning" and putting it aside for an eventual DBA1 cert
    Reason 2 : I wanted to test myself in a certification environment and not study too much topics just for that.

My advise would be to go for 1Z0-071 if you want to study for 1Z0-051. You'd at least get a real certification
    Thank you for your reply and my congratulations:
    can you write more details what books you used and video lecture , if used.
    why you advice 1Z0-071? I think it is more difficult or not?
  • Hssan AshiqHssan Ashiq Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently tried this exam and failed because I relied on the sample QAs I found at the end of every chapter and the real exam Qs were hell a lot difficult without any practice, I knew all the queries but could not handle the time better.

Can you please mention the detail about books which you used to pass the IZ0-061 Exam, I would really appreciate that.

Thanks and Regards
    how long did you preparing before go on exam ? how long you spend in oracle per day?