Options

CCIE without enterprise experience

routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I would like to know if there are any people who obtained the CCIE without gaining real world enterprise environment experience i.e administering and running a NOC environment/Trading Environment etc. Can there be an CCIE formed from pure books smarts and plenty of lab time? Is this a good career move if you cannot get into a NOC but want to break into one? Maybe just a CCNP and not even an CCIE is this recommended? What if employers look at your resume and see that you have a CCNP and never worked in a live working mission critical network but, just did regular helpdesk work? I guess what I am saying is if I can't get into a NOC but continue to pursue Cisco certs will this help?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    You could get ccnp by studying, buy hardware for home....

CCIE with no work exp? I doubt you would pass. People that have been working on them day-in-and-out for 5 years fail miserably.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    People that pass with no work experience are called lab rats. It's doable if you have a god-like study-ethic icon_lol.gif

MrD = labrat icon_study.gif
  • Options
    DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
  • Options
    routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply's guys you give hope to a helpdesk technician.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'm the opposite ... my job , kids , life don't allow me to be a lab rat .....
    i have a lab that's been virtually unsed for 6 months .... and i have 6 months from march to make my first attempt on THIS written icon_eek.gif

passed the written in 01 and it expired ....
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    darkuser wrote:
    i have a lab that's been virtually unsed for 6 months
    That's it -- no more TV for you!

Make the kids take music lessions and practice an hour a day -- while you practice with the lab icon_lol.gif

I can't remember -- does Scott Morris say you can't have a "social life" while studying for the lab? Or is it "no life" at all?

Getting family and friends to "buy in" and support you on your quest is important.... oh, and pets too!

I have cats that want to sit in my lap and help me study.... or think I should be scratching their ears rather than trying to use a mouse (or type). And then my personal favorite -- laying on the book so a stray wind doesn't change my page. I won't even get into the arguments I have to break up late at night about who's turn it is to be the lion and who has to be the gazelle (never should have let the cats watch Animal Planet).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    mikej412 wrote:
    darkuser wrote:
    i have a lab that's been virtually unsed for 6 months
    That's it -- no more TV for you!

Make the kids take music lessions and practice an hour a day -- while you practice with the lab icon_lol.gif

I can't remember -- does Scott Morris say you can't have a "social life" while studying for the lab? Or is it "no life" at all?

Getting family and friends to "buy in" and support you on your quest is important.... oh, and pets too!

I have cats that want to sit in my lap and help me study.... or think I should be scratching their ears rather than trying to use a mouse (or type). And then my personal favorite -- laying on the book so a stray wind doesn't change my page. I won't even get into the arguments I have to break up late at night about who's turn it is to be the lion and who has to be the gazelle (never should have let the cats watch Animal Planet).

lol
    Now working full time!